Bermuda Twizzy Rental cars

nemesees

I’m interested in maybe renting one of them electric cars.

Ive read the articles but none seem to mention anything about parking.

Where does one park these vehicles when going to the beaches, or Kings Wharf

or the caves or other attractions?

They are fairly new but I’m sure some vacationers have already tried these.

Any clues, tips or hints on parking? Is there a charge to park?

11 hours ago, nemesees said:

I’m interested in maybe renting one of them electric cars.

Ive read the articles but none seem to mention anything about parking.

Where does one park these vehicles when going to the beaches, or Kings Wharf

or the caves or other attractions?

They are fairly new but I’m sure some vacationers have already tried these.

Any clues, tips or hints on parking? Is there a charge to park?

We rented a Twizzy last year and had a wonderful time exploring the island at our own pace. We picked it up at Hamilton Princess, headed along the north shore of the  island and onto St George for a short time. Ample parking in a lot slighlty beyond the town center. From there, Swizzle Inn, parking close to a charging station. We then headed to the aquarium and parked at the lot across the street. We took the south shore route back to the dock yard - parking at a charging station behind one of the first building on our left - then walked through the shops and back onto the ship. The following day we traveled to a few beaches, no problem parking, returned the Twizzy in the late afternoon and took the ferry across the Sound to the Dock Yard. When you check in to pick up your reserved Twizzy, they will download the map to your iphone, and the "cars" have a USB port to keep the phone charged. The map also shows charging stations in case you notice a dip in battery charge, though they do hold power. Yes, it's a bit tight getting in to the back - but we had no problem with storage [hidden behind the back seat]. 

Darcy

40 minutes ago, nemesees said:

Our ship docks at St George’s for 2.5 days the to Hamilton for 1.5 days.

I will see if there are any to rent at my first stop.

thanks for the tips.

the App will be helpful.

At this time Twizzys are not available for rent in St. George’s although that could change by the cruise season. There are other electric vehicle rental companies that have electric cars available in St. George’s. They are listed on https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/bermuda-car-rental-options

There are a limited number of electric vehicles available for rent, the government caps the number, so if you desire to rent one need to make an advance reservation. 

54 minutes ago, nemesees said:

Thank You Darcy and Charles.

We will check out the rental locations once we get there.

Also will check out how people drive and if we should take a chance on those roads.

I think you overlooked my second paragraph. You need to book in advance before you get there if you want to rent a vehicle. 

A few things to note about the roads in Bermuda. The major one is they’d drive on the left hand side in Bermuda, the opposite of the US. The roads are narrow and have no shoulders and there are a lot of curves. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The major one is they’d drive on the left hand side in Bermuda, the opposite of the US. The roads are narrow and have no shoulders and there are a lot of curves. 

I'm with Charles on this one-- I'm very comfortable driving on the left and do so frequently in the UK and Ireland. But the roads in Bermuda are tiny compared to those and as he said, can be quite windy. In addition the speed limit is 23 mph across the whole island, and rental scooters and twizzys are governed at that speed and cant exceed it. The locals however on scooters, cars and busses frequently go much faster. It creates not the safest of driving conditions when you cant physically get out of their way. 

I've driven left sided in England, Scotland and Wales [talk about narrow roads], and Ireland and am comfortable with it. Since college days, decades ago, I've been riding bikes and scooters in Bermuda and now, wisely rent the Twizzy.  Local Bermuda drivers appear to be well aware of the mini rental "cars" and pass with care. Local drivers appear to be well aware  of "non-lefties" renting the vehicles. I asked at Princess Hamilton about accidents thus far,  as of last May, was told none - can't say that about the scooters/motor bikes.  

If you plan to rent, make reservations asap, they do sell out quickly.  Oleander also has a vehicle they rent, a bit larger, but much more expensive. 

Go with your comfort level and whatever you drive, always be alert to others.

Darcy

Since OP is on a cruise that is docking in both St. George’s and Hamilton I don’t see much upside in renting an electric car. Easy transportation by public bus or taxi to the major attractions that are not walkable in St. George’s or Hamilton. In my opinion renting a vehicle negates a major reason for booking the St. George’s and Hamilton itinerary. 

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks again. This being my first Bermuda visit, I cannot reserve something I’m not familiar with. Once on the island, I can see for myself and if safe, maybe tempted to rent one only to find out that they are none available. The wife does not ride nor will she ride 2-up on a scooter so that’s out of the question.

Maybe on my second visit I will reserve. For this trip, I will pay attention to parking, charging, and road attitudes Of the locals and visitors.

Thanks again.