Montreal Airport or Quebec

CanICruiseSoonPlease

1 minute ago, CanICruiseSoonPlease said:

Leaving on a cruise out of Quebec City---Would anyone suggest flying into Montreal (non stop) or Quebec City (have to stop).  And then take a bus the next day from the hotel to get to the port.

We flew into Montreal....uber to train station (VIA rail)...train to Quebec City...uber to airbnb.  Seamless and flawless.  October 2018

Way, waaaaaaaay more info is needed for any useful response here OP:

a) how much extra time does the flight with the stop take? Any $ saving for the inconvenience?

b) would your hotel in Montreal cost the same, more, or less than one in Quebec City?

c) how does the time wasted/$ saved compare to the cost and time of bus to Quebec City?

d) would you have enough time in Montreal on arrival to see or do anything?

e) ditto Quebec City?

In short, far too many unknowns in both absolute terms (hours, $) and subjective terms (are you more 'time rich' or 'money rich'?) just on the logistics front. Factor in your sightseeing tastes as well and there's no hope of anyone giving you the best answer for you OP!!!

Personally-speaking I prefer nonstop flights and doing justice to one city than half-assing two. Unfortunately these both lean toward a different answer to your question, so without knowing the time/$ situation I literally couldn't even answer this in respect of my own opinion... I can say that, like poster above, I've made use of VIA rail and it's a pleasant and painless experience that doesn't cost much more than the bus. One-way rental cars are another possibility for you - and if you would consider driving, you should also look at total spend of flying to a US airport near enough Quebec City to drive, you may get access to Southwest/JetBlue/other budget airlines which don't fly to Canada at all and cheaper nonstop flights with no border-crossing security fees/pricier Canadian airport fees.

martincath makes some good points worth considering.

I shall look at your question in a more straightforward manner: non-stop into YUL, or one-stop into YQB. As I live in Quebec City, this is a question that I have had to deal with (and the related cost implications) many times. And I can tell you: flying into YQB with a stop is vastly easier. There really has to be a significant cost savings for me to travel to YUL for a flight, and to be honest these days the cost difference really isn't that great.

Look at the availability of flights from your city to Quebec City. We've looked for this a few times in the last few years and I've had to do some fancy footwork to make it happen in a (somewhat) economically manner. We actually ended up just doing a one-way car rental from Montreal one way and flying straight out of Quebec City the way back. Train is an option... Just compare cost/time involved with car/train/flight options.

I would fly into YQB in a heartbeat.  Montreal is about 250km away from Quebec, which means you're eating up a sizable chunk of your day getting between cities and modes of transportation (need to get from the airport to the train/bus, and then in, rather than just airport and done).

Quebec City airport is quite close to town as well.