Bringing wine on board

Rontom1

I get what you are saying, but it would probably be difficult for HAL to have different rules for different length cruises.

And don't forget you can bring as many bottles of wine as you want if you pay the corkage fee of $18 per bottle.

The selling of wine and other alcoholic drinks is a big money maker for cruise lines, it is one of the reasons, the cost of the cruise is reasonable.

Some cruise lines, such as Viking Cruises, allow you to bring as much wine on board as you want with no corkage fee. But, the prices for Viking Cruises is nearly 3 times what it cost for a HAL cruise.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rontom1 said:

I wonder if anyone objects to the one bottle policy for bringing wine on board. Seems to me that if one bottle per person is allowed on a one week cruise, then 2 bottles should be allowed for a two week cruise.

You can object if you like, but the policy whether we like it or not is one bottle per person for your sailing.

It doesn’t matter if you are on for one week, two weeks, a month or on a Grand or World voyage.

Some cruise lines do not permit you to bring any wine on board so, at least we have the flexibility to bring on the one or bring on more as long as you pay the corkage 😉 

We are on B2B cruise in a few weeks.  We have to physically get off the ship to zero out the ship.  New pax will be boarding the ship, we will be doing a little sight seeing and reboarding.  So the question....can I bring the allowed one bottle per pax onboard?  (again)

32 minutes ago, ZSandy25 said:

We are on B2B cruise in a few weeks.  We have to physically get off the ship to zero out the ship.  New pax will be boarding the ship, we will be doing a little sight seeing and reboarding.  So the question....can I bring the allowed one bottle per pax onboard?  (again)

If your cruise(s) have separate booking numbers, yes.  We did this a few months ago.  We did ask the Beverage Mgr. first to be sure.

1 hour ago, Rontom1 said:

Well pay the 18 corkage fee for extra wine but hoping to meet up with some non drinkers in the terminal who can bring on the two bottles allowed

Good luck, not too many teetotalers on cruise ships. My wife is one though, so I can bring on two bottles for just myself.

If you have expensive taste in wine, the corkage fee is well worth it, because the price on board for high end wine is sky high.

I don't drink very much wine, and I am OK with the cheap stuff. Two bottles will probably last me through my next 10 day cruise, along with an occasional glass of house wine.

11 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

To clarify,  is the allowed one bottle is for room consumption only and if you bring to dining room you pay corkage.

For additional bottles do you pay $18 plus corkage?

thanks

Yes, the “free” bottle is for in room consumption.  If you take it to a public venue, there is a corkage fee of $18.

For additional bottles you choose to bring you pay an $18 corkage fee after boarding (right after you go through security).  that is the corkage fee and as long as your bottle has the sticker on it, you will not be charged anything else anywhere on the ship.

DH and I brought 2 bottles on board with us and drank them in the dining room.  Paid $18 each bottle corkage fee. If you choose to drink in your cabin, no corkage fee.  We choose to drink in DR, so subject to corkage.  No problem with us paying corkage fee, it is added to your account.

4 hours ago, Tom O. said:

Good luck, not too many teetotalers on cruise ships. My wife is one though, so I can bring on two bottles for just myself.

If you have expensive taste in wine, the corkage fee is well worth it, because the price on board for high end wine is sky high.

I don't drink very much wine, and I am OK with the cheap stuff. Two bottles will probably last me through my next 10 day cruise, along with an occasional glass of house wine.

so when it says "for room consumption", are there rules about putting your wine in a glass/travel mug and leaving your room? I was thinking it would be fun for embarkation to pop open a bottle of bubbly in our room but then go check out the ship. i'd rather not chug the whole thing before we head out! 😉 I'm also a rule follower, so I don't want to break any big time rules! Thanks!