HAL to Far East with a child

DevonianCruiser

I were looking at a cruise with HAL. We’ve maybe done 30 cruises but never with this line so have no idea how child friendly/suitable they are? Our daughter will be 4.

We’re looking at a cruise from Singapore to HK and wonder if anyone has done similar with children? She’s very well travelled at only 3 having done Singapore, Oz and a NZ cruise among others so not concerned with the travel but would be nice to know that children are onboard. Thank you - it’s December 20th.

5 hours ago, DevonianCruiser said:

I were looking at a cruise with HAL. We’ve maybe done 30 cruises but never with this line so have no idea how child friendly/suitable they are? Our daughter will be 4.

We’re looking at a cruise from Singapore to HK and wonder if anyone has done similar with children? She’s very well travelled at only 3 having done Singapore, Oz and a NZ cruise among others so not concerned with the travel but would be nice to know that children are onboard. Thank you - it’s December 20th.

No one has answered you yet, so...  

Until the news changes and the corona virus news is more uplifting (which doesn’t look hopeful), I doubt you will find any children on board.  children and the elderly are susceptible to covid19.  

I certainly wouldn’t risk a child in this situation especially with Singapore and Hong Kong involved.  If the virus is not under control, I imagine this itinerary will either be completely changed or cancelled.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kazu said:

No one has answered you yet, so...  

Until the news changes and the corona virus news is more uplifting (which doesn’t look hopeful), I doubt you will find any children on board.  children and the elderly are susceptible to covid19.  

I certainly wouldn’t risk a child in this situation especially with Singapore and Hong Kong involved.  If the virus is not under control, I imagine this itinerary will either be completely changed or cancelled.

we wouldn’t even consider taking her unless it was all sorted, but as what we are considering is 10 months away we are looking into options. My question was whether many children go on HAL and also on this type of itinerary. We were going to HK last December but because of the unrest cancelled and went to Singapore instead.

traveling over the Christmas holiday means there will be more kids onboard. Only you know your kid but if you think she would enjoy club HAL and is otherwise a good travel I don't see why you wouldn't travel with her.  We started cruising after a disastrous flight home from the UK to visit family when my sons were very young. We did Cunard transatlantic crossings back then. My kids liked the kids clubs and I liked having adult conversation at dinner. 

One thing to look at is the excursions.  You will want something that holds attention. 

We sailed Singapore to HK with HAL a few years ago, over Easter, so it was school holiday time. I do not recall seeing any children, certainly not large numbers. We found the passengers to be a very elderly group, to be honest. Majority looked to be in their eighties. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, I hasten to add, admire their spirit! But I assume the parents of a young child will be younger too, so just a warning. Think Fred Olsen but more so, if that helps!

I was on Maasdam over the Christmas/New Years holiday.  There were quite a few children onboard, lots of Australian families (their summer break), and families from Japan.  The ship was beautifully decorated with a big gingerbread village in the atrium.  On Christmas morning they had several announcements about Santa arriving, a nice program in the Theatre with Santa giving gift bags to all children under 18 years.  And, then lots of adult passengers got in line for a picture with Santa.  The children I saw during the cruise were very well behaved.  Hope you hear from others with children who can speak to the activities that are available.

We went on a Panama Canal cruise during Thanksgiving this year with our 6 year old.  She is a very experienced cruiser and very mature for her age. Since it was during a school holiday, there were more children on than we expected. Our daughter had a wonderful time and the camp did a great job entertaining them. I think you’ll be fine especially since it’s over the holidays. 

As as a side note, we went on a New England cruise with her as well, when she was 4, and during the week that most schools started. She was one of maybe 5 kids on that cruise. She still had a wonderful time and there was a camp still available for her to attend. It was a port intensive cruise so we didn’t have a lot of downtime on the ship.