Internet Question

FLAHAM

I will cruise on the Getaway transatlantic from New York to Rome this spring.  I have the basic 250-minute internet package.  While I have cruised on NCL before, I have never previously had an internet package.  Will I be able to send and receive emails?  Will I be able to send and receive text messages?  I will have my iPhone and iPad Mini (loaded with books to read) along.  Thanks for any advice. 

You will be able to do all that -

BUT consider the speed is seahorse pony express - 250 minutes = 4 hours 10 minutes

Best consider taking the 250 minute package and upgrading to an Unlimited plan - then you

will have all the cruise time to complete your task:

LINK:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

Just make sure you put mobile devices in Airplane mode and then turn on wifi. You will be able to do email, text, etc. I was able to do webex meetings and even stream a Seahawks game on our last cruise on the Getaway (I obviously had unlimited internet). 

Edited by fastpitchdad

I had the 250 minute package. I used my ipad mini . Make sure its on airplane mode and most importantly follow the directions for logging off.  Several folks I spoke to lost their minutes when they didn't log off. We were on a 10 day cruise and I face timed family almost everyday as well as well as sent emails. That's about 25 minutes a day and adequate unless you're going to want to be in contact with work etc..

The ship's internet is fine for sending and receiving emails. If you have a limited minutes package, I would suggest using an email client. Sign on, download your new emails, sign off. Then compose your replies, sign on, send, and sign off again. That's the best way to preserve your minutes. Sign on / Sign off is simple via the "logon.com" and "Logoff.com" pages. 

Text messaging is a different animal. You will not be able to use SMS messaging, as that is done via cell data. You can text via Facebook Messenger, or any other texting program that uses wifi and internet, not cell data. The issue again, is minutes. If you sign on and leave it on for texting, you'll use up your minutes quickly. If you plan to do a lot of texting, I would recommend upgrading to an unlimited package. You can do this on the ship...typically they offer discounts on the second day of the cruise.

17 hours ago, VideoTech said:

The ship's internet is fine for sending and receiving emails. If you have a limited minutes package, I would suggest using an email client. Sign on, download your new emails, sign off. Then compose your replies, sign on, send, and sign off again. That's the best way to preserve your minutes. Sign on / Sign off is simple via the "logon.com" and "Logoff.com" pages. 

Text messaging is a different animal. You will not be able to use SMS messaging, as that is done via cell data. You can text via Facebook Messenger, or any other texting program that uses wifi and internet, not cell data. The issue again, is minutes. If you sign on and leave it on for texting, you'll use up your minutes quickly. If you plan to do a lot of texting, I would recommend upgrading to an unlimited package. You can do this on the ship...typically they offer discounts on the second day of the cruise.

Great advice, just one clarification:  The upgrade will be offered when you first log in to use your $250 minute package.  You'll be brought to a screen asking if you want to upgrade to unlimited ($30/night) or unlimited with streaming ($35/night), and you'll be credited $125 for your free 250 minute package if you choose to upgrade.  Unless NCL offers discount on longer cruise, the unlimited would be 15 nights x $30 = $450 - $125 credit = $325 for the OP's trip. 

One trick is to wait until after midnight on the first day (or any time on day 2 of the cruise) and upgrade then, you'll save one days fee.  The unlimited upgrades are usually only offered on days 1 and 2.  Note that the upgrade works only if you do not active your 250 minute package though, so you can't start using the 250 minutes then decide to upgrade.  This should be sufficient on most cruises when the ship departs later in the day (the OP's cruise departs at 9pm) when you would have already did most of your emailing/texting while still in port.  And note that you will still have your own carrier's data coverage for the first 30-60 minutes after sailing form NYC. 

19 minutes ago, Metalcrafter said:

I upgraded from the 250 minute package to the unlimited for $84.93. This is for the March 21st 7 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Breakaway.

Yes, that is the cost for a 7 nighter... $30 x 7 - 125 = $85 (rounded).  The OP is on a 15 night cruise.