Atlantis crowd-control and other questions

SRQbeachgirl

Do they limit the number of people who can visit the resort each day? We are considering a day at Atlantis, either the Aquaventure or one of the dolphin/beach experiences, but there will be 6 ships in port (May 31st) and I'm worried that it will be gridlock. I have wanted to see Atlantis since it opened back in the 1990's, so if nothing else I'd like to go wander around, but DS-21 would probably appreciate something a little more active. I just don't want to spend all day standing in lines.

If there is no crown control, or even if there is, what's it like with so many ships in port?

Also, I have read that if you take a ship excursion (Carnival) they drop you off about a 15 minute walk from the resort, but if you take a private taxi they drop you off right up front. Is it possible to buy a ship excursion, but take a private taxi? If yes, how would you get your wristband (or whatever it is they give you) to show you bought the Aquaventure or dolphin package and get instructions on when your dolphin encounter will be?

Or would it just better to buy directly through the resort if we want to take private transportation? 

There is some crowd control, but it still is long lines and packed to the gills.

As for your wanted to wander around, you can't without a day pass. 

Be aware the most dolphin encounters do not allow access to a swimming beach.  Just the beach used to view the dolphins   Make sure which passes you are purchasing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 1:25 PM, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Our group of 12 are actually going to Atlantis for a week at the end of the July and are dreading all of the cruise ship passengers coming in LOL  I have a schedule of the Nassau port showing which ships are in each day.  There will definitely be LONG LINES for everything...

Crowds and lines were  nearly enough of a concern to drive me to Baha Mar (no day passes!).  I did use the port calendar to choose a weekend with fewer ships than average.

I was at The Cove during their first soft opening and was impressed, each return trip I'm a little less enamored with Cove & Atlantis.    One more visit this spring...

On 3/8/2020 at 3:32 PM, Nonesuch said:

Crowds and lines were  nearly enough of a concern to drive me to Baha Mar (no day passes!).  I did use the port calendar to choose a weekend with fewer ships than average.

I was at The Cove during their first soft opening and was impressed, each return trip I'm a little less enamored with Cove & Atlantis.    One more visit this spring...

We did Baha Mar when it first opened, most of the hotel wasn't done.  SLS and Rose weren't open yet either.  It was amazing, lol.  Imagine a mega resort virtually to yourself!  Tough to go back now that it's busy.

My husband and I went to Altantis 17 years ago. Then you could "walk around" and at least see a little bit of the place beyond the lobby. Now to see any "interesting" things you PAY for it. We went there to get some Cuban cigars thinking we could get some for $25 a stick. They wanted $75-100 for one... Needless to say we didn't get it. 

Also saw a lot of people checking in to the hotel not to mention all the cruise ship people. 

On 3/9/2020 at 11:07 PM, BNBR said:

We did Baha Mar when it first opened, most of the hotel wasn't done.  SLS and Rose weren't open yet either.  It was amazing, lol.  Imagine a mega resort virtually to yourself!  Tough to go back now that it's busy.

I'm going to check out Baha Mar this spring, if only for the rooftop bar.

16 hours ago, Kudos2Fly said:

We went there to get some Cuban cigars thinking we could get some for $25 a stick. They wanted $75-100 for one... Needless to say we didn't get it. 

Bahamas is no longer a place to go to get Cuban cigars.   Even Cuba (LCDH) has basically pulled out of the country, instead licensing 700, a local liquor store chain, to sell their cigars.   Between the weird rules on commercial imports (e.g. all cigars are in cellophane), a 220 percent tax on premium cigars (higher than any other import duty imposed by Bahamian customs & excise!),  and the prevalence of "Cuban" hawkers on the piers, it's just not worth buying there.

Getting back to Atlantis, it appears Graycliff both sells cigars they produce at their downtown Nassau location and also sells Cuban cigars at Atlantis?    Apparently they've cut a deal to keep their locally-rolled cigars at a lower tax rate than the imports.

4 hours ago, Nonesuch said:

Bahamas is no longer a place to go to get Cuban cigars.   Even Cuba (LCDH) has basically pulled out of the country, instead licensing 700, a local liquor store chain, to sell their cigars.   Between the weird rules on commercial imports (e.g. all cigars are in cellophane), a 220 percent tax on premium cigars (higher than any other import duty imposed by Bahamian customs & excise!),  and the prevalence of "Cuban" hawkers on the piers, it's just not worth buying there.

Getting back to Atlantis, it appears Graycliff both sells cigars they produce at their downtown Nassau location and also sells Cuban cigars at Atlantis?    Apparently they've cut a deal to keep their locally-rolled cigars at a lower tax rate than the imports.

Didn't know about the HIGH tax now on Cuban cigars. In 2016 after the ban on Cubans of lifted to bring them back to the US. My husband and I  was in Barbados on a cruise. We went out to find Cubans. Found a local shop off the main town area. We bought quit a few. Had them for months back home.  So figure it was still that way.... LOL to our surprise..

We did ask around after leaving Atlantis and was told about Graycliff. We did buy some of their own cigars. They were frankly good cigars. Plus Graycliff had a much better place. Frankly just as expensive to stay as Atlantis but a MUCH quieter feel.

43 minutes ago, Kudos2Fly said:

We did ask around after leaving Atlantis and was told about Graycliff. We did buy some of their own cigars. They were frankly good cigars. Plus Graycliff had a much better place. Frankly just as expensive to stay as Atlantis but a MUCH quieter feel.

Not sure how long it has been the case, but I hear Graycliff now runs the cigar shop at Atlantis.   That said, I already have reservations for dinner and to pick up a box -- I agree, Graycliff hotel is much more subdued than Paradise Island.

I used to be able to get Graycliff cigars at some USA shops, but now all I see available in the states are the new licensed Graycliff (sometimes labeled as "G2") those are all produced elsewhere (Honduras, etc).

• Like 1