RC Excursion-Coastal Cruise to Pitons?

Hi all! We will be on the Freedom of the Seas Southern Caribbean itinerary this fall, and for our St. Lucia stop I have come across the “Coastal Cruise to the Pitons” excursion through Royal Caribbean. We are a family of four and our kids will be 5 and 7 at the time. The cost is $74 per adult and $54 per child for a total of $266.

We haven’t historically taken ship-sponsored excursions, opting instead to go on our own to the local sights and beaches. But given the distance, maybe a ship excursion would be wise?

The excursion has a 4-hour duration and is described as follows:

A leisurely and scenic cruise from the Island's North unfolds the island's beauty as you sail past fishing villages dotted along the coast line and mountain ridges before laying eyes on the majestic volcanic peaks, Gros and Petit Piton. These twin peaks are the most photographed landmark on island. Circle the bay and then head Northbound for a swimming stop at one of the bays. After your swim, cruise into one of the most beautiful bays in the Caribbean - Marigot Bay, before heading back to your ship.“

Can anyone comment on their experiences with this excursion? Given the price, duration and ages of our kids, is this one a good choice or are there other recommendations? I’ve asked on the St. Lucia page and there appears to be very little traffic there, so I’m hoping since it’s a Royal Caribbean excursion I will get more feedback on the Royal Caribbean page. Thanks for any input!

We are taking that excursion on Friday march 13.  I will come back and tell you about it.  

We do not usually take ship tours either.  However, we took a local general island tour the first time we were there.  It was very good. We bought a painting at the local open air market.

We were in St Lucia last spring and just walked around.  There was really not much there so we decided to try this excursion this time. 

• Like 1

The length of time and distance made it worth it to select the excursion from the ship when we did.  We took the one with snorkeling and loved it: Pitons Cruise & Snorkel (also 4 hours)

Cruise the rugged west coast of St. Lucia to its iconic geological landmarks, the Pitons. Thrill to the up-close sight of the two towering volcanic peaks that rise dramatically from the depths of the Caribbean. The crew anchors in a sheltered bay for snorkeling in calm, clear waters filled with colorful tropical fish and coral, and it's a short swim to reach a quiet beach.

• Like 1

We did this via the ship.  My kids were 3 and 7 at the time.  It wasn’t anything exciting but it wasn’t bad.  They had some drinks on the catamaran and the crew was super friendly, especially with our 3 year old.  They had a blast with her teaching her the “dollar” dance if I remember right.   It was worth doing once, but we wouldn’t do it again if we went back.

• Like 1

I took this excursion a while back and it was a good excursion. You can see the two volcanos as you approach them for quite a while. They are quite majestic to see. The swim stop was nice. It might not be the same bay as now. I enjoyed the day, but it might not be what you are looking for in an excursion. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, twangster said:

Check out this trip report from Anthem to St Lucia and the cruise to the Pitons.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2726374-anthem-jan-5-2020-11-nights-southern-caribbean-recap/?do=findComment&comment=59194644

Thank you for pointing me to this-great photos! Now I have to go back and read the whole report-thanks!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, twangster said:

Check out this trip report from Anthem to St Lucia and the cruise to the Pitons.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2726374-anthem-jan-5-2020-11-nights-southern-caribbean-recap/?do=findComment&comment=59194644

Thank you, this gave me a good idea what the excursion included. . . . As always your pictures are great.  After I read about the excursion I read most of the review. 😁 Anthem looks great.

• Like 1