Confused - FTTF and Boarding Times

Drinal01

HI all:

Newbie here but read about FTTF and splurged on it.   Now that I have it I know I get priority boarding but so I also get an automatic early boarding time slot?  I thought boarding time slots depend on check-in time?  

Thanks in advance!  

Check-in time and boarding times are not the same, you do get earlier boarding time, but check in time has nothing to do with it. Someone can have an earlier check-in time then you but because of FTTF you'll get on earlier. Also you have access to your cabin as soon as you get on board, this is my main reason for getting FTTF, I hate walking around the ship lugging my carry-on luggage. Without FTTF you have to wait until around 1pm to be able to unload and unpack. 

Thanks all!  I have been reading and it seems that in Galvaston port opens at 10:30 but boarding starts at 11:30.   

What time do you all suggest we get to the boat / terminal?  11 seems to be the sweet spot?

13 minutes ago, Drinal01 said:

Thanks all!  I have been reading and it seems that in Galvaston port opens at 10:30 but boarding starts at 11:30.   

What time do you all suggest we get to the boat / terminal?  11 seems to be the sweet spot?

Boarding time is going to vary based on how long it took to clear the ship. I've heard a lot of people advise to arrive around 10 or 10:30 at the port but for me I'd rather avoid waiting than be among the first on the ship so I shoot for around 11 so that either boarding is underway or will begin fairly shortly. 

Edited by M2LR

11 minutes ago, Drinal01 said:

Never sailed out of Galveston, but 11 is usually close to perfect, as they rarely board much earlier than that and you'll only take about 5 minutes from arrival to check in. I recommend just a little before 11 (like 10:45), because they may start boarding close to 11.

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just an FYI, suite guests also board before FTTF. 

I thought maybe they did but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to mention it and give incorrect information. Living large is getting a balcony to me so I am not certain all the suite perks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, M2LR said:

I thought maybe they did but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to mention it and give incorrect information. Living large is getting a balcony to me so I am not certain all the suite perks.

I have never stayed in a suite either, but the waiting area for suite guests is the same general area for Diamonds and Platinums.  At several terminals they divide the priority lounge into sections, although sometimes it’s as simple as the first x amount of rows are for Diamonds only, Platinums sit in this area, suite guests sit in this area, etc. 

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just an FYI, suite guests also board before FTTF. 

Thanks; I was going to ask that. We (read I :classic_biggrin:) splurged on a suite this time. I was pretty sure that was one of the suite (sweet :classic_dry:) perks, but I wasn't sure.

1 hour ago, Drinal01 said:

Newbie here but read about FTTF and splurged on it.   Now that I have it I know I get priority boarding but so I also get an automatic early boarding time slot?  I thought boarding time slots depend on check-in time?

When it comes time for you to do your online check-in (90 days prior to your cruise), you'll still have to pick an Arrival Appointment even though you have FTTF. That's the half-hour window you'll choose that represents when you'd normally be allowed to enter the terminal and begin check-in. But with FTTF, you can ignore that and arrive earlier than what you choose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

Suites get priority boarding but don't get early room access.

This is correct.

On our last cruise we had booked a Balcony cabin and also purchased FTTF.  3 days before sailing we got an upsell for a very good price to a Suite.  The friends we were going with are Platinum and we were in the same waiting area as they were before boarding.  They hung back a little and they ended up being last in the Platinum group while we were first in the suite group.  We got on and went right to our suite which was awesome.

9 hours ago, Drinal01 said:

HI all:

Thanks in advance!  

Ive sailed out of galveston many times with FTTF and yes you choose a check in time because they do staggered check in for galveston . With FTTF you can completely disregard that time and show up whenever you want (we've entered the terminal as early as 10:30 with FTTF). Hubby and I are from OK so we typically travel to galveston the day before the cruise and try to arrive at port as early as 10:30 to 11:00 to get vacation started. One time we arrived right at 11:00 and literally walked right on the ship (the breeze had just got out of dry dock and didn't have guest to debark), other times we've sat in the FTTF boarding section for about 30 mins until it was time to board the ship. Boarding in galveston typically begins about 11:30 to 12:00.

Hope this helps.

Happy Cruising!

DH works part-time for the cruise ships at the Port of Tampa. He has observed people who spend money on FTTF and then don't arrive at the port until after all the priority boarding and FTTF have occurred and general boarding is well under way and cabins are open anyway (1-1:30pm). Why spend the extra money on FTTF if you can't arrive at the port early to take advantage of early boarding and getting into your cabin before they open anyway? Faster to the Fun means just that. Once general boarding has started you just go get on board anyway unless you arrive before the cabins are open and that is your only reason for spending that money. Buying FTTF when you know you won't arrive at the port until 1-1:30pm or after is just a waste of your money.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:27 PM, Djptcp said:

DH works part-time for the cruise ships at the Port of Tampa. He has observed people who spend money on FTTF and then don't arrive at the port until after all the priority boarding and FTTF have occurred and general boarding is well under way and cabins are open anyway (1-1:30pm). Why spend the extra money on FTTF if you can't arrive at the port early to take advantage of early boarding and getting into your cabin before they open anyway? Faster to the Fun means just that. Once general boarding has started you just go get on board anyway unless you arrive before the cabins are open and that is your only reason for spending that money. Buying FTTF when you know you won't arrive at the port until 1-1:30pm or after is just a waste of your money.

There are a few more perks to FTTF than just early boarding and cabin access.  I agree that those perks are expensive, but many argue the entire FTTF is a waste of money.  If the purchaser is aware of what they are getting and find value in it then it isn't a waste to them.  I don't understand why people find value in knowingly spending hundreds more for Cheers than they would drink just to avoid a (less than the cost of Cheers) bill at the end, but they do and it is similarly worth it to them.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2020 at 3:43 PM, Organized Chaos said:

When it comes time for you to do your online check-in (90 days prior to your cruise), you'll still have to pick an Arrival Appointment even though you have FTTF. That's the half-hour window you'll choose that represents when you'd normally be allowed to enter the terminal and begin check-in. But with FTTF, you can ignore that and arrive earlier than what you choose.

We  turned Platinum on our last cruise.  I went to check in at around 4 am on the first day that I could.  I was surprised that there was only one time slot offered.  It was 12:30-1:00.  Knowing that we could check in at the port at any time, I just guessed that was the reason why we were only offered one time slot.  Will see if that happens again when I check in for our next cruise.

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

We  turned Platinum on our last cruise.  I went to check in at around 4 am on the first day that I could.  I was surprised that there was only one time slot offered.  It was 12:30-1:00.  Knowing that we could check in at the port at any time, I just guessed that was the reason why we were only offered one time slot.  Will see if that happens again when I check in for our next cruise.

That is strange that they only had one time slot. We have FTTF for next month's cruise. I checked in as soon as it opened at midnight and there were three slots available. Since FTTF can ignore them, too, I wouldn't think they'd do it differently for Platinum, but who knows. What struck me as odd was, the earliest available window, like yours, was 12:30-1:00. I've never seen a time slot that late as the earliest option. We'll be on the Horizon, so maybe that's because it takes them longer to clear the previous cruise??

Some members of my wife's family are going, too. I checked in when it opened on Dec. 8th. My wife's cousin didn't bother checking in until late January and she said the 12:30-1:00 slot was still available. I thought it would surely be filled by then.