Alaska age range

highplanesdrifters

Hey Seabourn travelers.  I'm thinking about taking my niece (40), her daughter (13), and my sister (70) on a Seabourn Alaska cruise for my sister's 70th birthday. I know what the age group is like for the rest of the world cruises. Hoping that the Alaska trip might include some families and younger people so that my niece and her daughter will not feel too out of place. Anyone care to chime in?

On our 11 day Alaska cruise last June, there was only one family with 2 young girls.  The crew fawned all over them because they were the only kids on board.  There were passengers in their 40s and 50s but I would say most were older.

I don't remember any small children or teens on our AK cruise (Sept 2018). We're 45 & 50 and found quite a few people onboard in our age range - it was a very active cruise (we saw lots of people quite older than us getting onto kayaks 😉 ) It was a VERY enjoyable trip for us. The Ventures team was so amazing!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Seabourn does not attract many families with children. The Seabourn ships I've been on did not even have a dedicated staff nor facility for children. Seabourn would not be my first choice for cruising Alaska with a teen. However, if you want to increase your likelihood of finding a cruise with children on board, book during the summer when school is out. Or, if you're feeling especially generous, think about inviting your grand-niece's best friend along. 

I was on a 12-night Alaska cruise last July. There were a couple of families with teens, and they appeared to enjoy themselves. There are days that the ship does not make landfall,  although there are Ventures excursions from the ship. If they are able to entertain themselves on days like that, I think they would do fine. I would take my 12-year-old along if I did it again, armed with some card games, a chess set, and plenty of e-books.

Thanks Everyone for your replies. Our 13 year old is a seasoned traveler and used to being wth adults, but it's always nice to have some younger folks around. Last summer in Iceland we had numerous families with about eight kids. Antarctica had four families. It will be interesting to see the Alaska mix.  We will be signing up for as many zodiac and kayak excursions as we can. Love having the Ventures program available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Thanks Everyone for your replies. Our 13 year old is a seasoned traveler and used to being wth adults, but it's always nice to have some younger folks around. Last summer in Iceland we had numerous families with about eight kids. Antarctica had four families. It will be interesting to see the Alaska mix.  We will be signing up for as many zodiac and kayak excursions as we can. Love having the Ventures program available.

Last summer,  Seabourn made an offer for a third passenger sailing free---to encourage parents to bring a child.  I'm sure that brought additional children on to some sailings.  Perhaps the same will happen this summer.  

On 2/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

SLSD - Third person free, very interesting. Thanks for that info.  Not in my suite though, ha ha. 

Stay tuned for future offers.  I would guess that this offer will be made again.  This offer was specifically for Alaska.  

Edited by SLSD