Boarding Late in Charleston?

SurfCat

We are booked for the February 27 cruise aboard the Sunshine out of Charleston.  Standing in line is a pet peeve of mine so we usually get FTTF, and show up as early as possible.  Unfortunately FTTF is sold out for the cruise so I am planning to show up as late as possible to avoid any lines.  It actually works out well as I have some business to attend to in the morning.

Has anyone had experience boarding after say 2:00?

Thanks in advance.

Just cruised out of there 2 weeks ago.   Had FTTF but really didn’t need it.  Boarding was quick all around and an announcement all rooms were ready by 12:30 pm on embarkation day!  Suitcases was already outside the rooms at that time as well!     Fastest I’ve ever got them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SurfCat said:

We are booked for the February 27 cruise aboard the Sunshine out of Charleston.  Standing in line is a pet peeve of mine so we usually get FTTF, and show up as early as possible.  Unfortunately FTTF is sold out for the cruise so I am planning to show up as late as possible to avoid any lines.  It actually works out well as I have some business to attend to in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

Boarding late is great. I won't walk into the terminal before 1:30 pm. The crowds show up at 11 am. LOL. It should be easy going.  

• Like 1

I just changed my booking to a journeys cruise on sunshine for Jan 2022 .we won't be in any hurry to board either since we live 2 hours away and the ship doesn't leave until 6.im pretty sure by the time the last sea days roll around we will be ready to go home.plus it will be cold coming and going.my wife is cold even in 104 heat index and won't let me run a.c. in the car.so there won't be a lot of hanging out on lido the first 2 and last 2 days.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:29 PM, SurfCat said:

Thanks in advance.

We are on this cruise also... See you around the ship!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

4pm you guys will likely be doing your muster drill. If not, most people will be at the sailaway party then. Y'all may want to back that up a little bit to ensure you have a good turnout. Just my 2cents. 

I'm an Indian, not a chief on this deal.

Just got off the Sunshine today. We drove onto port property at 1:20 and we were on the ship by 2:00.

The longest time we spent doing anything was on the shuttle bus from the check-in building to the actual terminal building. At some point over the past year, they converted a parking garage to a check-in building. You check in there, then ride the shuttle to the terminal for security, then board the ship.

There does not appear to be any more covered parking in Charleston, since this change. It was needed too - the small terminal was barely adequate for the Fantasy, let alone the much larger Sunshine's crowds.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:29 PM, SurfCat said:

Thanks in advance.

Do online checkin and choose the latest time. Know that if you don't get there by 2 you will carry your own bags on. Everyone boards by 3. Never buy FTTF in Charleston!

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 4:36 PM, SurfCat said:

As an update, I rode by the terminal on Saturday at about 2:00 and although it was hard to really tell anything inside, it didn't look too crowded and there was no line for the drop off traffic.

Charleston is an easy port - FTTF is not really a necessity as the lines move quickly. Just know, you will probably have to carry on your own bags if you don't arrive before 2pm.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, EmmyDee said:

Charleston is an easy port - FTTF is not really a necessity as the lines move quickly. Just know, you will probably have to carry on your own bags if you don't arrive before 2pm.

Used to not always be true - I remember waiting in 30 minute lines for parking and hour+ lines in the terminal, but something changed in 2017 and we've practically walked onto the ship since.

Stupid question but what is FTTF?  Haven't sailed on Carnival for a number or years & didn't realize that you had to reserve a specific time to show up at the terminal.  What happens if you get there later (or earlier) than you anticipated?

FTTF stands for Faster To The Fun, a program by Carnival that allows passengers to pay for priority perks including early boarding, immediate cabin access, and dedicated guest services.

I think it varies some by ports, but if you arrive at a different time for check-in than your arrival appointment, you will likely be directed to a "late/early" line.  If boarding has already started then you will likely have little to no wait.

Thanks PACRUISE804 - just completed my online check in & my group of 4 has a 12:30 - 1pm slot.  We will probably get there a little earlier than that since we won't have anywhere to go after checking out of hotel  then parking.  Overall though I'm guessing all will be fine.  Can't sweat the small stuff  🙂

• Like 1