Spirit of Discovery - any current onboard reports re Norovirus?

Harry Peterson

6 hours ago, Disappointed in Saga said:

I was on the same cruise as this person and I can confirm everything that is being said about this cruise.  I was fortunate that neither I nor my husband succumbed to the Norovirus bug, but our cruise was totally spoilt and we were always worried that we would get it, especially as I am due for surgery at home in 3 days time.    I submitted a two page written complaint to Saga on the ship and am waiting to hear from them - but don't hold out too much hope.

If we do not hear from Saga with some sort of compensation then I am interested in joining others to take out some sort of group action against Saga.      Not sure how we would do this, but I'm sure someone does.   It must be at least a breach of contract as they did not provide many of the services they advertised.

I have seen on another site someone mentioning these people, I think they are no win no fee

https://www.irwinmitchell.com/personal/personal-injury-compensation/holiday-accidents-illness-claims/holiday-sickness-claims/cruise-illness-claims?fbclid=IwAR3zJywezTwsR3mLT8m_J0eTG2b-C1qm4U5i7Q1lNdMurJ_CPy0Dbz9jQNM

• Like 1

I have set aside some time tomorrow to write my report. I needed some cooling off time to make sure the report was fair. It has taken me a couple of days,hopefully after a night’s sleep I can produce a balanced narrative. I took notes at the time.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people are thinking of trying saga for the first time, myself included, but after reading the experiences of people on the last three cruises, if I hadn’t already booked with them, then I wouldn’t be doing. I am very worried about my forthcoming cruise, and am really shocked at what I have read, and Certainly don’t believe people are exaggerating or making things up.

I wrote 3 letters of thanks when on the ship about the hard work of the crew. My final letter named many crew and talked about the speed that they fixed broken things in both the cabins I was in. Also commented  about the great food ( except for afternoon tea as all sandwich bread was always dry) But that’s where to good finished first cabin was a disaster with broken wardrobe and fridge which stunk from the fumigation when we arrived. It was above the playhouse so rehearsals left us away two 2am in the morning (this got us moved on 10th day as couldn’t stand it anymore. The new cabin had broken draws and a blocked shower drain ) Then the fact that we got ill, missed Alta, no docking at Kalvag and everything closed on the ship to prevent disease just made it unbearable and a total waste of time and money.

as a poster on FB said its a bit early to be sure.

I wouldn't wish our disgusting and degrading experience on anyone and feel sorry for anyone who may go through it.

A poster seemed to wonder if people were just sea sick  - I wish that had been all

Alan

20 hours ago, JessM66 said:

I think a lot of people are thinking of trying saga for the first time, myself included, but after reading the experiences of people on the last three cruises, if I hadn’t already booked with them, then I wouldn’t be doing. I am very worried about my forthcoming cruise, and am really shocked at what I have read, and Certainly don’t believe people are exaggerating or making things up.

If this is your first ever cruise with Saga, I believe they are still doing their guarantee that if you decide you don't like it they'll fly you home and give you a full refund. They have terms, such as you have to tell them within a certain time (not sure if it is 48 or 72 hours) but if you ask Saga they'll clarify things for you.

There are enough reports by different people on both this and other forums to know that there were horrific problems on the last cruise, which was pretty obviously a rollover from the two previous cruises (the Valentines break was evidently a total failure), and it seems amazing that passengers are having to contact Saga, when the extent of the problem should mean that Saga are contacting all the passengers directly. BUT ... the amount of complaints, especially the amount from new-to-Saga (which is the target market) should also mean that Saga are now pulling out all the stops to prevent more complaints. A fourth cruise with a lot of unhappy, angry and sick passengers will be a commercial disaster for them and one they are almost certainly desperate to avoid. So I reckon you will be OK on your cruise.

1 hour ago, nosapphire said:

If this is your first ever cruise with Saga, I believe they are still doing their guarantee that if you decide you don't like it they'll fly you home and give you a full refund. They have terms, such as you have to tell them within a certain time (not sure if it is 48 or 72 hours) but if you ask Saga they'll clarify things for you.

There are enough reports by different people on both this and other forums to know that there were horrific problems on the last cruise, which was pretty obviously a rollover from the two previous cruises (the Valentines break was evidently a total failure), and it seems amazing that passengers are having to contact Saga, when the extent of the problem should mean that Saga are contacting all the passengers directly. BUT ... the amount of complaints, especially the amount from new-to-Saga (which is the target market) should also mean that Saga are now pulling out all the stops to prevent more complaints. A fourth cruise with a lot of unhappy, angry and sick passengers will be a commercial disaster for them and one they are almost certainly desperate to avoid. So I reckon you will be OK on your cruise.

Thanks for that info I didn’t know that, I will look into that, and certainly if Nourovirus is still present in the current cruises, and I have to say rumours are circling that it is, then I will be phoning Saga and asking them to cancel my cruise and give me a full refund, if they refuse I will say ok, I will invoke the guarantee when on board. 

I had not heard of that Guarantee but of course I had the rose tinted glasses on for the first few days until we realised that the ship was still contaminated

We endured the Norway cruise but early on we got our agent to cancel the same cruise on Spirit of Adventure sailing 2021.

We are expecting we may lose our deposit but will see what happens.

I hope the Canaries cruise is clean but I wouldn't bet on it

Alan

I didn't find the conditions on the cruise as bad as you. It depends what you expect from the ship and the places you visit. They can only do so much and if it means restricting or stopping activities to control the spread on nora virus then so be it.

I have been on P&O more than once, when there have been cases of nora virus and they don't take the same stringent steps Saga have. They don't keep you as well informed and I think if they revealed the numbers we would all be shocked.

On 3/4/2020 at 4:26 PM, shoreham01 said:

According to a very active f b site for specific ship all seems OK at the moment although postings are a bit scarce for this latest cruise.  Fingers crossed all will be OK now.  

Apparently there were a couple of cases on Tuesday night and then the captain announced this morning that more cases of norovirus had developed overnight.  Not sure how they know it’s norovirus....sounds more like food poisoning if developed overnight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JessM66 said:

Apparently there were a couple of cases on Tuesday night and then the captain announced this morning that more cases of norovirus had developed overnight.  Not sure how they know it’s norovirus....sounds more like food poisoning if developed overnight?

I am still devastated and not feeling great even though got through the cruise. Lift smelt of vomit when I traveled down to get my bags so nervous few days coming up. I wish you the best of luck but I can honestly say we were sold out by saga hopefully in an attempt to make later cruises good! Disgusted how they play with passengers health and holidays just to keep the ship at sea and profits up! “Go spoilt yourself is their slogan” needs to be changed to “ go soil yourself” ! 

thanks for the update regarding continued Norovirus o the ship. This will turn into a massive cover up by Saga? If a fourth cruise on a row is savaged by Norovirus then it supports what we all already know. This ship has not been clean for weeks now and they send us out knowing the there is a huge chance that we will get sick, miss trips and get quarantined! But most sickening (excuse the pun) is they close all facilities making it a prison with great food when you can get to a restaurant! 

28E98548-2264-4DFD-97E7-C8F466F876CE.jpeg

067E14EC-5883-45FF-BF2B-73DFAB2D6406.jpeg

124D0F39-2023-433F-B621-DC129265E476.jpeg

40A96538-B0D1-4975-8909-DFAC24A8D9CD.jpeg

AE3AFCDE-2356-4110-9815-EFB98A86CE20.jpeg

D25CC29A-D006-4B9E-9DE5-3887D0E6A975.jpeg

093C605F-1578-4E23-83B3-EEC155419F95.jpeg

FA78F4E6-3CCB-4BA4-8DD5-2B3046C19288.jpeg

12 hours ago, JessM66 said:

I am still devastated and not feeling great even though got through the cruise. Lift smelt of vomit when I traveled down to get my bags so nervous few days coming up. I wish you the best of luck but I can honestly say we were sold out by saga hopefully in an attempt to make later cruises good! Disgusted how they play with passengers health and holidays just to keep the ship at sea and profits up! “Go spoilt yourself is their slogan” needs to be changed to “ go soil yourself” ! 

thanks for the update regarding continued Norovirus o the ship. This will turn into a massive cover up by Saga? If a fourth cruise on a row is savaged by Norovirus then it supports what we all already know. This ship has not been clean for weeks now and they send us out knowing the there is a huge chance that we will get sick, miss trips and get quarantined! But most sickening (excuse the pun) is they close all facilities making it a prison with great food when you can get to a restaurant! 

This is scandalous that’s four cruises ruined by Norovirus. Guess that makes it official that stone Spirit of discovery is a sick ship ( even though they hate that term) this is now  something I’ll speak to my solicitor about as all evidence points to they failed everyone on the four cruises! Especially the last three! 

• Thanks 1

A visit to the Saga Spirit of Discovery facebook group continues to show that some saga regulars continue to believe its the passengers bringing Norovirus on board and Saga are perfect, That is in spite of letters on it showing the current cruise is being cut short

On the Northern lights cruises we had an argument with officers in the buffet to get them to wash the table and chairs before the next person was allowed to sit down, and to remove the mini jam pots at breakfast. The officer said "that's a good idea I will raise it at the next meeting" he did both but why didn't he know to be doing it?

I didn't ever see handrails being washed, as it was a bit bumpy people were always holding them!

No matter how often we washed our hands and avoided handrails and walls as much as possible we both caught Norovirus and were confined to our cabin

On the strength of our bad experience we have via our agent cancelled next years Saga cruise and probably lost our deposit, and hoping to get sensible replies from Saga

15 minutes ago, retiredbrit said:

A visit to the Saga Spirit of Discovery facebook group continues to show that some saga regulars continue to believe its the passengers bringing Norovirus on board and Saga are perfect, That is in spite of letters on it showing the current cruise is being cut short

On the Northern lights cruises we had an argument with officers in the buffet to get them to wash the table and chairs before the next person was allowed to sit down, and to remove the mini jam pots at breakfast. The officer said "that's a good idea I will raise it at the next meeting" he did both but why didn't he know to be doing it?

I didn't ever see handrails being washed, as it was a bit bumpy people were always holding them!

No matter how often we washed our hands and avoided handrails and walls as much as possible we both caught Norovirus and were confined to our cabin

On the strength of our bad experience we have via our agent cancelled next years Saga cruise and probably lost our deposit, and hoping to get sensible replies from Saga

Much of the increased sanitisation was also because so many furious passengers from the 4 day cruise contacted Saga head office. It is depressing that so many of the logical things had to be suggested by passengers.

It is also depressing that Saga are losing o much goodwill by leaving it to passengers to contact them - I would have expected Saga to contact the passengers - ALL passengers on the infected cruise - themselves.

It seems that the new management are relying too much on existing loyal clients to uphold their reputation.

Passengers bringing it on board? Maybe ask the Norwegian tourist office why Norway is such an unhealthy country that passengers visiting their ports can infect an entire ship.....

Would anyone go on a cruise leaving next weekend knowing that the ship has had a vast number of NOROVIRUS  cases on the last 4 cruises ??

Plus the itinerary is Spain where they have had more cases of CORONAVIRUS than UK.

Your comments would be appreciated.

I can't answer that as I have already cancelled my cruise in June, as I was so disappointed with the SOD, partly with the ship itself but mainly with the way Saga head office are now mismanaging things.

I would not be particularly worried about Spain/coronavirus - doubt there is any more risk there for a day visitor than there is anywhere else - but I would be worried about Saga's ability to manage things if there was an infection

I do wonder if the arriving passengers are being infected when using the included transport.

Maybe this time they will do a real deep clean of the whole ship, not just the cabins that had passengers known to be sick.

I would be nervous to say the least. The only thing is that they are bringing ship to Southampton a day early so they should be able to give it a bloody good fumigation. I would also want reassurance that all areas of the ship are open and all entertainment going ahead as it should. I have read reports that most facilities have been closed on the norovirus cruises which is not what we would expect for a expensive holiday even though I understand why they thought it the right thing to do. 

Just now, Littlewh said:

I have cancelled my cruise departing10 April, France and Spain . Footsteps of St James. Due to the ongoing problems of both the current onboard Norivirus, plus the concerns of Coronovius.

No refund,but allowed to postpone into 2021.