Spirit of Discovery - any current onboard reports re Norovirus?

Harry Peterson

Is there any truth in what I've heard - that the outbreak of Norovirus on the previous cruise hasn't been properly eliminated?  And that there are still restrictions in place?  Such as no live theatre shows, and some other parts of the ship/activities out of bounds?

Was there a proper deep clean before she left Southampton?  I'm beginning to have doubts about Saga, particularly given the vulnerability of some of the elderly passengers.

Sorry, Harry, I don't know the answer.  I am disappointed that we have had so few reports from those who have been on the ship recently; maybe only a few bother with Cruise Critic, but news about current events on board, as well as opinions on everything on the ship would be so good to get.  

There are posts on another board suggesting this Norovirus incident has not been handled well.  It arose, apparently, on the Med cruise (22/1 - 12/2), was still there on the Rouen cruise (12/2 - 16/2), and it's still causing problems on the current Norwegian cruise.  The necessary deep clean seems to have been less than thorough.

After receiving firsthand reports of some of this, I'm left very much less impressed with Saga than I was before.

3 minutes ago, shoreham01 said:

Just found this rather alarming review on Trip Advisor from someone who posted yesterday.   https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Cruise_Review-d15691846-Reviews-Spirit_Of_Discovery

It's even worse than that. Norovirus is still a problem on the present cruise, which is the one after the one reviewed,  and the second one after the original outbreak. 

That is very bad news.  Seems like they are not doing the deep cleanses efficiently like other ships we have sailed on.  Will take disinfectant with us and make sure all the surfaces and bathroom furniture in cabin is wiped down.  Must be careful to wash hands very regularly and use anti viral sprays.  The other thing is not to touch your face.  What with noro and now Corona the holiday we were so looking forward to is becoming less and less appealing.  

And the situation progresses.

I got the bug and 24 hrs later my wife develops the problem. 

Room service is now restricted to only persons guaranteed in there cabins. Well that says something.

There is a problem somewhere and Saga dont seem to be able to sort it.

This is an expensive trip for us, and our money has been wasted.

Currently looking at no win no fee lawyers.

Just had the captains announcement

He said there are no new cases today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife was struck down with this at 3 mins past 9 last night, and we have had to call the nurses several times during the night. I also have been very ill with the virus and we are struggling to manage.

The cabin staff are doing a wonderful job in difficult circumstances and always a smile on faces.

its unbelievable that the ship still has not got this under control - its totally wreaked our holiday

We have had to have our bathroom sanitized 3 times.....................

He gave no indication of numbers - the fact room service is only for quarantined passengers says something.

Edited by kathekas

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Saga do seem to be trying to keep this very quiet.  I'm sorry you've been so badly affected by it and that everything's soon OK for you both.

Some questions for Saga to answer, but if they successfully keep it quiet, nobody will be asking them!

Thank you for your kind words. 

The strange thing is that the medics are not taking 'samples' for testing!!! Seems strange

Edited by kathekas

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Saga do seem to be trying to keep this very quiet.  I'm sorry you've been so badly affected by it and that everything's soon OK for you both.

Some questions for Saga to answer, but if they successfully keep it quiet, nobody will be asking them!

Watching this post with great concern.

Am booked on SOD cruise to Canaries 2 March from Southampton. Norovirus is very unpleasant & its ridiculous that adequate cleaning between cruises has obviously NOT been carried out.

(To add insult to injury there has been an incidence of coronavirus on Tenerife reported today. What next? )

Part of the enjoyment of a cruise is the looking  forward to it with anticipation. Sadly, before I even step onto the ship, that factor has been completely destroyed.

22 minutes ago, Pearl131313 said:

Watching this post with great concern.

Am booked on SOD cruise to Canaries 2 March from Southampton. Norovirus is very unpleasant & its ridiculous that adequate cleaning between cruises has obviously NOT been carried out.

(To add insult to injury there has been an incidence of coronavirus on Tenerife reported today. What next? )

Part of the enjoyment of a cruise is the looking  forward to it with anticipation. Sadly, before I even step onto the ship, that factor has been completely destroyed.

This may or may not be helpful (please forgive me if it's not) but I did hear a suggestion (or I may have seen it in a forum such as this) that Saga may have offered passengers on the present cruise or the previous one the option of cancelling with full refunds because of the outbreak.  Probably not something you'd want to do, but it might be worth exploring as a backup option.

I’m very surprised to hear these comments. I am onboard this cruise and the Captain is being very open about the Nora virus, with regular updates.

Procedures have been put in place and providing the passengers adhere to them, its working well. There were passengers onboard up until a few days ago still failing to wash their hands after visiting the toilets and some trying to enter the buffet without using the sinks. Staff are now stationed around the ship ( and with the Captain's full support ) are making sure hands are washed.

All food is being served by the crew. There are hand sanitisers all around the ship.

The atmosphere on the ship is good and providing you keep your own standard of hygiene good you should have no problems.

The NorthernLights put in an appearance last night and made many people very happy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

I’m very surprised to hear these comments. I am onboard this cruise and the Captain is being very open about the Nora virus, with regular updates.

Procedures have been put in place and providing the passengers adhere to them, its working well. There were passengers onboard up until a few days ago still failing to wash their hands after visiting the toilets and some trying to enter the buffet without using the sinks. Staff are now stationed around the ship ( and with the Captain's full support ) are making sure hands are washed.

All food is being served by the crew. There are hand sanitisers all around the ship.

The atmosphere on the ship is good and providing you keep your own standard of hygiene good you should have no problems.

The NorthernLights put in an appearance last night and made many people very happy.

I'm glad the Captain is being open. 

Has he explained why Norovirus is still present on the ship, two cruises after the original outbreak, and why the deep cleaning that would normally be carried out was ineffective?

Has he given any indication of the numbers affected?

Is everything on the ship, such as the theatre, operating normally?  I had heard that shows were only available via the TV channel at one point - is that no longer the case?

On 2/22/2020 at 12:43 PM, Harry Peterson said:

Is there any truth in what I've heard - that the outbreak of Norovirus on the previous cruise hasn't been properly eliminated?  And that there are still restrictions in place?  Such as no live theatre shows, and some other parts of the ship/activities out of bounds?

Was there a proper deep clean before she left Southampton?  I'm beginning to have doubts about Saga, particularly given the vulnerability of some of the elderly passengers.

It’s all just hear say.

The theatre is open. The onboard performers are doing, well just that performing. New acts are joining the ship and those finished entertaining the passengers are leaving. Art and craft classes are well attended as are the dance classes. The gym is busy and the fitness classes are popular.
Every thing is running like normal, yes there is Nora virus onboard but providing you maintain a high standard of personal hygiene every thing should be okay. 

I think you are wrongly trying to scare people.

10 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

It’s all just hear say.

The theatre is open. The onboard performers are doing, well just that performing. New acts are joining the ship and those finished entertaining the passengers are leaving. Art and craft classes are well attended as are the dance classes. The gym is busy and the fitness classes are popular.
Every thing is running like normal, yes there is Nora virus onboard but providing you maintain a high standard of personal hygiene every thing should be okay. 

I think you are wrongly trying to scare people.

Not at all.  My information came from passengers currently on the ship, and comments here seem to support what they're saying.  I was considering Saga as an alternative to P&O, but as with everything I like to do a bit of research before making expensive purchases - all this worries me.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm glad the Captain is being open. 

Has he explained why Norovirus is still present on the ship, two cruises after the original outbreak, and why the deep cleaning that would normally be carried out was ineffective?

Has he given any indication of the numbers affected?

Is everything on the ship, such as the theatre, operating normally?  I had heard that shows were only available via the TV channel at one point - is that no longer the case?

It is still onboard because passengers are not following the guide lines laid out. Failing to wash their hands.

He has given the numbers affected and NO crew have been affected.

You heard wrong, the theatre is operating normally and has never been closed. There is an option to see the shows later via the TV channels.

Everything is cleaned right down to all the tour buses being used by passengers.

Due to those passengers confined to cabins requiring three meals a day all cabin room service has been suspended. Those in suite still have this option via their butler. No great loss as the service in The grill and Main Dining Room is excellent.

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not at all.  My information came from passengers currently on the ship, and comments here seem to support what they're saying.  I was considering Saga as an alternative to P&O, but as with everything I like to do a bit of research before making expensive purchases - all this worries me.

The P& O ships also suffer from out breaks of Nora virus but apart from a notice sent to the cabin very little information was ever disclosed on any of the P &O ship I have travelled on.

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Have just phoned Saga cruises re my 2 Mar SOD booking. Have been told there is NO norovirus disease on board. The lady I spoke to said she knew nothing about it. If there was, she said I would be contacted. So people are ill on the Norway cruise.

What is the ships doctor/captain calling it?? I wonder.

15 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

It is still onboard because passengers are not following the guide lines laid out. Failing to wash their hands.

He has given the numbers affected and NO crew have been affected.

Isn't it the case that it's still onboard because the ship wasn't properly cleaned after the original outbreak?  It might be being spread around because of poor hygiene, but Norovirus doesn't come from nowhere.

What numbers did the Captain give?

8 minutes ago, Pearl131313 said:

Have just phoned Saga cruises re my 2 Mar SOD booking. Have been told there is NO norovirus disease on board. The lady I spoke to said she knew nothing about it. If there was, she said I would be contacted. So people are ill on the Norway cruise.

That's appalling - and does Saga no credit at all, particularly given the age group they mainly serve, and the high prices.  If they can't be honest about that, how can they be trusted on anything?

4 minutes ago, Pearl131313 said:

It the winter vomiting bug, gastroenteritis sometimes it’s called Nora virus. There have been fifteen cases according to the Captain, no new cases today and none of the crew have been affected. Providing you continually wash your hands and use the sanitisers, as I am, I don’t see it as a problem.