Any Updates on Summit Chef Table?

Midway7934

I sail on Summit June 28- July 5. It is a Bermuda, Newport itinerary. Which means we will be cruising down the Hudson heading back to Bayonne on the 4th of July (Macy Fireworks). I tell you this because I have the Chef's Table booked. I have since been reading reviews and comments from 2019. When I booked I could only book the first night for 5:30. My Captain's Club rep said that was the only time it would be scheduled. I didn't even see a sample menu on the cruise planner, nor was it made clear if Chef Boulud would actually be on board for the preparation and if (at $139 per person ) would include wine. All these problems were discussed for 2019 sailings. Does anyone have any updates which might affect 2020? I can still cancel on board, and it will be returned to my on board credit. I have a suite with the premium beverage package. (My husband doesn't  drink wine.) Anybody have any more info, or suggestions? Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Midway7934 said:

I have the Chef's Table booked.  When I booked I could only book the first night for 5:30. My Captain's Club rep said that was the only time it would be scheduled.  Thanks.

The 5:30 PM the first night is just a place holder time.  I have never heard of them having the chef's table the first night.  

They have a wine pairing that they offer at the chef's table.  There is an extra charge.  If you do not want the pairings, and you have a beverage package, you can use that at the chef's table.

Most of the time, the executive chef on the cruise will head up the chef's table.  There would be a small likelihood of Boulud being on the cruise, but it could happen.

I hope this is of some help to you.  🙂

Several questions:

Are you sure you'll be cruising down the Hudson?  I know ships like NCL who dock in Manhattan go up the Hudson to their pier, but Celebrity ships usually come and go under the Verrazano Bridge.

Since ships usually dock in the morning, I'm not sure what the Macy's fireworks have to do with anything...AND...this is important...the location of the fireworks changes sometimes but MOST years they shoot them off from the East River.  They don't announce the location until May or so.

As far as the Boulud dinner, I'm pretty sure you can't use your Bev Pkg wines for it, I'm pretty sure you have to buy the additional wine pairings (Edit:  I guess I'm wrong about that given the above post from Texed).  And we were supposed to go to one of the very first ones (back last May) and the "first night" was irrelevant, the dinner was on a night 3-4 days into the cruise, the "first night" date (and time, it was actually much later than indicated) was only something they wrote on our confirmation - which was ignored, we had a confirmation stating wines were included, in writing, and we were told NO, that's wrong.  We ended up cancelling.

Edited by warmwinds

There are actually 2 different Chef Table experiences.   One is the Chef's Table and the other is the Chef Boulud dinner.   On some cruises they have both plus the Champagne Dinner.     Chef Boulud is rarely aboard but read that he would be on a special cruise in the near future.   We were aboard Summit when they debuted his menu and he was a delight to meet.   He only attended dinners on the two night on that cruise but was not aboard the second sailing (b2b) that we got a reservation for. 

The also had a special meet and greet and tasty bites in Retreat one night.   Excellent speaker and a warm bubbly personality.

Regarding the up-charge for wine.   I can confirm that it is optional.    I don't drink so don't opt for it while Iain does.

33 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

Several questions:

Are you sure you'll be cruising down the Hudson?  I know ships like NCL who dock in Manhattan go up the Hudson to their pier, but Celebrity ships usually come and go under the Verrazano Bridge.

Since ships usually dock in the morning, I'm not sure what the Macy's fireworks have to do with anything...AND...this is important...the location of the fireworks changes sometimes but MOST years they shoot them off from the East River.  They don't announce the location until May or so.

As far as the Boulud dinner, I'm pretty sure you can't use your Bev Pkg wines for it, I'm pretty sure you have to buy the additional wine pairings (Edit:  I guess I'm wrong about that given the above post from Texed).  And we were supposed to go to one of the very first ones (back last May) and the "first night" was irrelevant, the dinner was on a night 3-4 days into the cruise, the "first night" date (and time, it was actually much later than indicated) was only something they wrote on our confirmation - which was ignored, we had a confirmation stating wines were included, in writing, and we were told NO, that's wrong.  We ended up cancelling.

I could be wrong, but our final port is Newport, Rhode Island from which we set sail the night of the 4th of July to return to Bayonne NJ. We must be able to see somebody's fireworks that night. I live in Bergen county NJ and can see the New York skyline from the top of the hill behind my home.    The info you gave me on the dinner sounds very much like the comments posted for 2019. When did you take this cruise? I was hoping things would be a little better organized and a different menu. Thank you, though, for your input.

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

There are actually 2 different Chef Table experiences.   One is the Chef's Table and the other is the Chef Boulud dinner.   On some cruises they have both plus the Champagne Dinner.     Chef Boulud is rarely aboard but read that he would be on a special cruise in the near future.   We were aboard Summit when they debuted his menu and he was a delight to meet.   He only attended dinners on the two night on that cruise but was not aboard the second sailing (b2b) that we got a reservation for. 

The also had a special meet and greet and tasty bites in Retreat one night.   Excellent speaker and a warm bubbly personality.

Regarding the up-charge for wine.   I can confirm that it is optional.    I don't drink so don't opt for it while Iain does.

When and where do find out about the different dinners? I see nothing on cruise planner and would like to see the sample menus. I guess I just hoped the Chef might be aboard for the 4th of July. That is why I didn't want to cancel until I get aboard. Thank you for the optional wine info. My husband will be happy.

Here’s menu and pix of Chef D’s dinner.  Our dinner was rather uncomfortable as 4 if the 8 didn’t show and the other couple were like pulling teeth to carry on a conversation. 

you also get a cookbook that weighs 5 pounds.   We received 2. 

2C9EFDAC-77D6-4BEB-9D53-910D488A13A7.thumb.jpeg.487bae581d4d9de2a955095ef93828ef.jpeg

F55560E5-D738-48C9-9CAE-A127B0E21C16.thumb.jpeg.4bbc68dcc219d8f64710e9dcd44d81d4.jpeg

6C1035E7-85E5-49E4-83CC-2BA5FB05ECEB.thumb.jpeg.80cbe193b99a16d2acfda026c1edc0e4.jpeg

1A2A9915-AF32-48D3-AF3E-60FE8B4B3FD1.thumb.jpeg.2ecb13f9c060458cf056580e870950b8.jpeg

0B2D6F08-3704-47C5-90A9-ABCE79EE70A0.thumb.jpeg.9962819fbbf92f472a0e2a95a3b22611.jpeg

B30CE4E1-8790-49E2-9806-E5889DBEF5D2.thumb.jpeg.37c4cc5ac42402c394e6765ad4a4b2ff.jpeg

99BE14C1-AF33-4709-A64C-743F9113D015.thumb.jpeg.5180b3212046b212931cc3f168db4bad.jpeg

166AD9C9-8E6C-4AC5-924E-FB1956F3BBAB.thumb.jpeg.004fa8c3b9480a96ad041e16c9b3401c.jpeg

A945A9CD-34F9-492F-85E9-34EA81B1D8EF.thumb.jpeg.615141716d8c560b1175b249318960b2.jpeg

94955FBD-05B4-4473-AA26-04DF2DAFD4C6.jpeg

4CC8A2AD-44E7-451D-9D81-E52BC947D028.jpeg

91C52DDD-A40B-4F7C-9FCF-D11C3A954E91.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

If you leave Newport the night of July 4th I bet you'll be able to see fireworks all along the Rhode Island shore and  Long Island - cool!  It's all going to depend on timing since they usually aren't til about 10 pm, depends on where you are at that time.  But I don't see any way you'll be coming down the Hudson.

And yes, we were supposed to go to the Boulud dinner in May, 2019.  Sorry to sound so negative about it, but the 2 suite guest concierges (or whatever their title is) in Michael's Lounge who were so dismissive to us really left a bad taste in our mouths.

We lived in Bergen County for 5 years in the 80's (Woodcliff Lake) - loved it there.

Thank you all. Now I am hungry! I think I will wait until I get on board. Hopefully the butler or concierge will be a little more helpful.  I have never had any problems with the service on Celebrity. Maybe someone who goes on a sailing on Summit (which starts in April) from Bayonne can add their experience to this topic.

6 minutes ago, Midway7934 said:

Thank you all. Now I am hungry! I think I will wait until I get on board. Hopefully the butler or concierge will be a little more helpful.  I have never had any problems with the service on Celebrity. Maybe someone who goes on a sailing on Summit (which starts in April) from Bayonne can add their experience to this topic.

When you get aboard just sit down with the Retreat Concierge and she has the schedule or will call to find out and can book or put you on waiting list.   If there is a large demand the often put on a second evening.    FYI on Summit they do it in Tuscan, while they use the Wine Cellar in Murano's  on the S-Class ships.

I agree with you about the menus.  I like the regular Chef menu better.  My cruise planner only shows Chef Boulud's table. I will speak to the concierge in the Retreat and perhaps she can help me or even my butler. Thank you for your time and guidance.  Love the pictures.