8 PM Sailaway

kelib

The Jewel on 4/17  out of Tahiti has an 8:00 PM departure. Any experience on that time departure in regards to the boat drill? 
I only have experience on the Carnival 10:00 departure out of San Juan and they modified dinner and drill was at 9:00. Was wondering if we will do the same. 

33 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Probably 4:30 pm. It will be complete before dinner service starts. 

Normally I would say yes but if all aboard is  2 hours before then technically everyone does not need to be on the ship till 6.

1 hour ago, kelib said:

Normally I would say yes but if all aboard is  2 hours before then technically everyone does not need to be on the ship till 6.

They usually have a make up drill the next day.

Evening departures are fairly common on NCL, especially in Europe. I have done many with 7 and 8pm departures, and the muster drill has always been at the usual time, around 4-5pm before dinner service.

14 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

They usually have a make up drill the next day.

Evening departures are fairly common on NCL, especially in Europe. I have done many with 7 and 8pm departures, and the muster drill has always been at the usual time, around 4-5pm before dinner service.

Okay... would be nice if NCL notated that since I have seen people on the boards taking tours that may not be getting them back in time. The next day is a full port day so a make up drill may not be reasonable. 

2 hours ago, kelib said:

On late departures, there will be a make up drill. There are usually only a handful of passengers boarding that late (people with late flights or a full beach day before boarding). People need to complete muster before being allowed to disembark, so it will be at a time that supports a port day the next day. 

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

On late departures, there will be a make up drill. There are usually only a handful of passengers boarding that late (people with late flights or a full beach day before boarding). People need to complete muster before being allowed to disembark, so it will be at a time that supports a port day the next day. 

I totally get what you are saying, but I can see more than a handful coming in after 4. All who booked NCL Air are coming in on the same flight that morning (no deviation was allowed) so of course there are already plans for tours, car rentals, etc to see the island. If NCL still plans on keeping there normal muster drill times then I would hope that they send out a notice to all passengers that all aboard is earlier or that they will have to do the make up drill while in Moorea. 

57 minutes ago, kelib said:

I totally get what you are saying, but I can see more than a handful coming in after 4. All who booked NCL Air are coming in on the same flight that morning (no deviation was allowed) so of course there are already plans for tours, car rentals, etc to see the island. If NCL still plans on keeping there normal muster drill times then I would hope that they send out a notice to all passengers that all aboard is earlier or that they will have to do the make up drill while in Moorea. 

There will be a makeup time/date determined  NCL They will try to make it as " convenient " as possible.

It's  not their first time doing this. This is nothing more than a minor inconvenience and shouldn't ruin anyone's cruise, but hey it just might.

They’ll have it before setting sail no matter what time. I was on the breakaway when boarding was delayed until almost midnight. Muster drill took place about 2am. Lots of grumbling but it still happened. We didn’t actually leave port until about 6am.

2 hours ago, jrlamour said:

They’ll have it before setting sail no matter what time. I was on the breakaway when boarding was delayed until almost midnight. Muster drill took place about 2am. Lots of grumbling but it still happened. We didn’t actually leave port until about 6am.

Just to clarify, this is a different situation to to the OPs. In your case, where boarding was delayed they have to fit things in when they can.

With the departure we are talking about, this is the scheduled time, so they will get it done before dinner in order to

avoid these problems.

10 hours ago, kelib said:

Whilst it will certainly be more than a handful who arrive after 4, the significant thing is that it will be few enough that they will all fit in a specific venue.

The main muster is held in the public areas, and service is shut down. This is a major problem if it happens during dining times, which is why they will make sure they do it before dinner service.

The make up still can happen without causing that disruption to everyone else.

Every week during the Summer, for example, the Epic holds its muster drill in Barcelona before everyone is onboard. It really isn’t unusual. I missed it once, and I just received a note saying when and where the make up drill was. Nothing was said in advance.

As the next day is a port day then this may complicate things a bit, but they will only disrupt dinner service if it is unavoidable.

Maybe they should send out a notice clarifying the timings, but they don’t.