Gratuity distribution??

whitford

To add another wrinkle to the discussion, what happens when the gratuities are waived in a promotion? Does HAL put a amount in the pool?  
We always tip our room and MDR stewards, wine steward and Pinnacle Grill staff since we have breakfast there most mornings, Neptune Lounge concierges and wine steward in MDR at end of cruise. We do tip the maitre d when we select our table at the start of the cruise and also sometimes mid or end of cruise. We never have to wait for our table, it’s always ready. 
HAL has terrific staff and we appreciate their part in making our cruise memorable and worry free. 

59 minutes ago, Suslor said:

To add another wrinkle to the discussion, what happens when the gratuities are waived in a promotion? Does HAL put a amount in the pool?  
We always tip our room and MDR stewards, wine steward and Pinnacle Grill staff since we have breakfast there most mornings, Neptune Lounge concierges and wine steward in MDR at end of cruise. We do tip the maitre d when we select our table at the start of the cruise and also sometimes mid or end of cruise. We never have to wait for our table, it’s always ready. 
HAL has terrific staff and we appreciate their part in making our cruise memorable and worry free. 

Yes, HAL pays your gratuities and you get Mariner points for it.  It’s in the price of your cruise after all 😉 

We tip extra as well but the HSC makes sure it is fairly distributed to everyone on the ship that makes your cruise great.

I like the system since I can’t reach a lot of people behind the scenes and I can tip those that I feel make my cruise above and beyond.  I have sent an envelope to the laundry on occasion with a thank you note.  

While all of HAL’s laundry service is good, some it is simply outstanding 😄 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A person’s willingness to sign on for a job is a very reliable way to determine his satisfaction with the compensation terms.  The fact that it might not pay as much as he would like is not relevant — it is obvious that if he had a more desirable option, he would take it.

You're responding to a post I made more than a year ago so I don't recall the context off the top of my head, but appreciate the feedback anyway. 😉 

7 hours ago, doublebzz said:

And what if doesn't have "...a more desirable option..." but desperately needs the money to feed his/her family?

He still chooses the job -- no one believes the world is fair.  

If working on a cruise ship gives him more than any other option, can you claim that he has not chosen the BEST opportunity?

• Like 1