Need Info On The Amsterdam

CARGAL99

My Husband And I Will Be Doing The 10 Night Baltic/scandanavia On June 12th-22nd. We Sail Frequently But Have Not Been On Holland America For Awhile. I Know That This Is An Oler Ship So Can Anyone Tell Me If It Is Well Maintained? I Need All The Info That I Can Get On This Ship. We Are In Our Early 40's And Have Booked A Suite Category Sb. I Appreciate All The Advice And Help!

Wherever did you get the idea that the Amsterdam is an older ship? She certainly isn't; she's only been in service a few years!

The Amsterdam is co-flagship in the HAL line, and is up to the honor.

This is a port-intensive itinerary to a particularly beautiful part of the world. You will enjoy it.

I just got back last night from 30 days on the Amsterdam, and frankly must say I am sorely disappointed. One would think the " flag-ship" would be a notch or two above the rest, we found just the opposite. We were unhappy with many things which I will detail in my review. Just wanted to give my opinion. The ship itself was spotless and well maintained.

I've never been on a HAL ship that wasn't well maintained. Amsterdam and Rotterdam are co-flagships, so I can't imagine it would be showing signs of age.

Roz

I just got back last night from 30 days on the Amsterdam, and frankly must say I am sorely disappointed. One would think the " flag-ship" would be a notch or two above the rest, we found just the opposite. We were unhappy with many things which I will detail in my review. Just wanted to give my opinion. The ship itself was spotless and well maintained.

I live in San Diego and went to the port yesterday to see the ship for future possible cruises. I hope your review arrives soon as I am very interested in your perspectives. It seems like you had no issue with the ship itself as it was spotless and well maintained. I am interested in taking longer cruises like you just did on this ship so I await your comments with baited breath!

The Amsterdam came into service in 2000. We have sailed on her before and are looking forward to being on her again.

I think she is beautifully maintained and would sail her again in a heartbeat.

Yep, she did come into service in the year 2000. I have a DVD here that I got a while back from my travel agent which details several of the HAL ships, and the piece on the Amsterdam was done right before her maiden voyage in the year 2000. Several of the people on our cruise were also on the video, including the Captain and his wife, Appolonia. I specifically asked her when that video was shot, and she was the one that told me it was done right before the maiden voyage in 2000. So, actually, the Amsterdam is a pretty new ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think she is beautifully maintained and would sail her again in a heartbeat.

Yep, she did come into service in the year 2000. I have a DVD here that I got a while back from my travel agent which details several of the HAL ships, and the piece on the Amsterdam was done right before her maiden voyage in the year 2000. Several of the people on our cruise were also on the video, including the Captain and his wife, Appolonia. I specifically asked her when that video was shot, and she was the one that told me it was done right before the maiden voyage in 2000. So, actually, the Amsterdam is a pretty new ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again either, we were just not as pleased as with other ships of the line... I think you know why ;)

Trisha

Thanks for all the info. I am very interested in reading the reviews that I hope will be posted soon. Did any of you try the Spa and is it worth the money? My hubby and I did 3 cruises last year but am thinking that this maybe the only one for this year so I want to have a great time! Thanks for all of the help! You guys are the best!

I just got back from a 15-day cruise aboard the Amsterdam. This was my second cruise aboard this lovely ship and I have just booked two segments of her 2007 World Cruise for a total of 49 days, so obviously I don't have any problems with this ship whatsoever.

Kakalina (Trisha) and Kryos (Rita) seem to have enjoyed this ship also, although we will have to wait for Trisha's review to see why she didn't like it as much as other ships of the line. Personally my favorite ship is the Ryndam but I love the Amsterdam too.

The Spa experience is very objective I think. I did try the Spa this last trip since my daughter gave me a gift certificate for a facial as a Christmas present. I have to confess that I am most definitely not a Spa person and I appreciated the thought but would rather have had some books or music CD's instead. That said, the Spa is very attractive and the young ladies who work there are very friendly and the facial was okay if you are "into" that kind of thing. My only complaint would be that the changing area is way too small - two people in there is a crowd, especially if one of them is a rather large European lady who insists in hogging the only (very small) bench provided as seating. I wasn't too happy at having to sit on the floor.

Before any European ladies take offense at the above I should point out that I was born in Britain and am therefore am a European/American.

Valerie:)

Rita, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again either, we were just not as pleased as with other ships of the line... I think you know why ;)

Trisha

Of course. I guess I think she was absolutely beautiful because my last HAL sailing was on the Zuiderdam ... a Vista class ship, which I just don't care much for. I tend to prefer the smaller ships and am only doing another Vista sailing (Westerdam in October) because of it being a CC group cruise.

I only wish you and Virgil would consider joining us. We could have such a wonderful time together. I miss you guys already! :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived