Not sure if we should book now...

2BACRUISER

9 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

What kind of news or info are you wanting Adawn47?

THE FACTS as requested in my previous post. Demographics, underlying health issues, at the moment the govt info is at best basic nothing to help you make an informed choice. 

28 minutes ago, oxygenbanditnot said:

In the main corona thread, I pointed out as 2BA has mentioned that seasonal flu kills many thousands around the world every day.

Spanish Flu which started in 1918 killed many millions !

It seems that, like a little bit snow; everything has to cause no end of bother these day's !

26 minutes ago, comcox said:

But I also think the Covid-19 virus is getting so much press whereas the flu kills many people every year and hardly anyone blinks.  It's really difficult to accurately access the personal health threat as opposed to the response threat of quarantine and closures.

Spanish flu killed 20-50 million people. This new virus, unlike flu, has no current treatment and no vaccine. Antibiotics don't work on it. That was the situation with Spanish flu, and it could well be the same with Covid-19 - rather more than a little bit of snow, unless you're particularly keen on hiding from reality.

The transmission rate is worryingly high, much higher than influenza, there's no natural immunity because it's been passed from animal species, and we have an NHS that's in a state of near collapse thanks to years of underfunding.

That's why this is so serious. Not for 80% of the population, maybe, and if you take the line that the over-60s and those with underlying health conditions don't matter, then maybe your arguments carry some weight.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

THE FACTS as requested in my previous post. Demographics, underlying health issues, at the moment the govt info is at best basic nothing to help you make an informed choice. 

And where do you think those facts might be obtained, given that at the moment they're pretty much non-existent right across the world? This is an entirely new virus, an entirely new disease, and we don't yet have much to go on. That's one of the reasons comparisons with seasonal flu are so ludicrous.

19 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Here's a site containing quite a few facts: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

And, perhaps, this gives people not wanting to board a ship, but unable to get reimbursement for an insured reason, the opportunity to lie about having had a cold, sore throat etc; presumably at that point, as you cannot meet the cruise lines criteria for boarding, they will have to refund?

I guess so, and it would be the perfect get out. Probably worth checking their policy first though.

10 hours ago, Pentlands said:

But DS was in port, what if they had not been allowed to berth or to ship passengers off when at sea?

She was in and out of port, presumably having to dump brown water some of the time, but I am assuming that sense would prevail and that whilst alongside for periods she would be allowed to disembark any passengers needing hospital treatment, and also infected passengers to an on-shore quarantine facility.

But hey I adopt a commonsense approach to life, unlike some government bureaucrats.  

The problem is people who come down with a nasty cold which some will think they have Flu.

Now we have the virus causing corona virus disease 2019 (COVID-19) which is not the same as the corona viruses that are commonly found in humans which causes mild symptoms like the common cold.

Unless you are swab tested through medical tests then it would be hard to say you are a carrier of which virus ?

34 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Any number of people have been mentioning it ad nauseam. It's a given. This is on top of all that, with no vaccinations in place to reduce the numbers, and no known way of dealing with it.

At least the research seems to be making a little headway  Harry😊 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00444-3

Fingers crossed they crack it !

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I definitely would not take a cruise now or in the immediate future.  It not my concern of COVID-19 itself but the reaction that ensues - the potential of quarantine in a cabin is not for me

Nice to see someone else understands the real point of the situation in relation to cruising

5 hours ago, comcox said:

I've paid in full for my 3 short cruises in May/June (two on CMV (Baltics & Northern Isles) and one on P&O (Italy/Croatia) as well as all my travel arrangements surrounding those cruises.  Not sure what to do at this point.  But I also think the Covid-19 virus is getting so much press whereas the flu kills many people every year and hardly anyone blinks.  It's really difficult to accurately access the personal health threat as opposed to the response threat of quarantine and closures.

Whilst on a cruise three weeks ago, I also paid in full for a Mediterranean cruise (including Italy) and departing 17th May.  Somebody has suggested to me that I should now wait and let P and O do the cancelling/rescheduling.  

If I cancel on my Doctor’s advise, I will have to fight the travel insurance by myself.  If P and O cancel/reschedule, they will need to refund my money.

ANY THOUGHTS?

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

i did mine and decided that the percentage was in our favour.  I'll let you know after the cruise 🤣

Which cruise ?  

Remember we are in Flu season and COVID-19 is not readily distinguishable from Flu, so the reaction is the concern.

I'll cross my fingers ...and toes for you, hope you enjoy and don't get too stressed.