White Dinner Jacket on the N Atlantic in Summer?

ClipperinSFO

Need some very specific sartorial advice from seasoned summer crossing veterans: where do you all come down on men wearing white dinner jackets for gala nights on a transatlantic crossing in July?  Are they something that should be relegated only to wearing in the tropics or are they acceptable in warm weather even in more northern climes?  I haven't done a summer crossing in decades so I am not sure of the norms in this dress code sub-category.  

I know shipping lines in the old days dictated passenger attire from what their officers wore, e.g. tropical whites or dress blacks, but I have a hard time envisioning the QM2 deck officers in dress whites on the North Atlantic even in July.  Still, on gala nights, a white dinner jacket it might make a nice change from the traditional black tuxedo.  My husband is steadfastly opposed (conservative traditionalist that he is) but I am on the fence.   

Thanks for your advice and opinions!

19 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Need some very specific sartorial advice from seasoned summer crossing veterans: where do you all come down on men wearing white dinner jackets for gala nights on a transatlantic crossing in July?  Are they something that should be relegated only to wearing in the tropics or are they acceptable in warm weather even in more northern climes?  I haven't done a summer crossing in decades so I am not sure of the norms in this dress code sub-category.  

I know shipping lines in the old days dictated passenger attire from what their officers wore, e.g. tropical whites or dress blacks, but I have a hard time envisioning the QM2 deck officers in dress whites on the North Atlantic even in July.  Still, on gala nights, a white dinner jacket it might make a nice change from the traditional black tuxedo.  My husband is steadfastly opposed (conservative traditionalist that he is) but I am on the fence.   

In the US a white dinner jacket is certainly appropriate (used to be virtually mandatory) between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

You will be somewhat unique in your white dinner jacket, but will not be forced to walk the plank.  When you dress up and look really good, you can dance around the edges of the standard dress code on formal nights.  

1 hour ago, jimdee3636 said:

I saw plenty of white dinner jackets on our 21-night QM2 sailing this past July (NY round trip by way of England, Iceland, and Atlantic Canada). 

DH and I were on the same crossings. DH was one of the white dinner jackets.376852129_003GalaNIght.thumb.jpg.9cf86867be9162e45e300acd863fabea.jpg

• Like 2

Offtopic: I can't believe how good that QM2 backdrop looks on camera. 

It's a shame they ruined it with that megasupermoon. It's too big, it's oriented wrong...

But the ship itself looks much better there than when you walk past the backdrop.

20 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Offtopic: I can't believe how good that QM2 backdrop looks on camera. 

It's a shame they ruined it with that megasupermoon. It's too big, it's oriented wrong...

But the ship itself looks much better there than when you walk past the backdrop.

We don't get as many photos as we did in our earlier years when our sons sailed with us - but I really liked this one.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:32 AM, ClipperinSFO said:

Just watched an old British movie from 1952 set on board the old RMS QE and there were white DJ's seen both in the restaurant and in the famous Verandah Grill (which exists again on Cunard ships today)

you will be prefect and fit in 

“Getting There is Half the Fun", "Caronia Med. Cruise", and "Caronia World Cruise"-all by John Bransby on You Tube-all date from the 50’s early 60’s .I can be warm on deck in summer on North Atlantic especially if the Master is steering a southerly course to avoid a weather system. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Go for it.

Some will say that white jackets are for the tropics only. Or just for men serving drinks or carrying a Saxophone.  I think that a formal white dinner jacket looks great in the summer.  The idea is to dress up and have fun.  It is certainly within the meaning for "formal night" IMHO.

A white dinner jacket is an acceptable thing to wear. If your other half doesn't want to wear one, don't push him into it - but don't let him go tutting at those that do...

I have seen lots of different takes on DJs whilst on board, there have been some lovely 'jacquard' ones, and others in deep reds and blues - all very stylish and eye catching.

Edited by Toffeegirl68