Anyone get the upgrade fairy?

DevonianCruiser

We’re going on Britannia next month and went in to the travel agents to pick up our tickets today. When we got home we noticed our cabin has changed. We had a superior balcony cabin and now have an aft suite. Very delighted and just hope this virus doesn’t stop travel. I did read that Britannia has a problem with smoke at the back of the ship but who cares eh, we’re delighted. Even more so as we got a price to upgrade on this very cabin 2 months ago and decided at £2,300 (if I recall) we’d pass.

just need to read up and see what perks a suite offers 🙂

• Like 3

For those hanging on in (and I'd be tempted to if I hadn't been able to cancel a couple of 2020 cruises without any loss) this could prove a nice little bonus.

Ships are likely to be running somewhat below capacity, and if you've got better cabins and suites going spare than people have paid for it would be daft not to upgrade - good luck guys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Excellent result, well done. 

Bang goes the theory that you only get upgraded when you book direct. 

Have a fantastic time. 

Andy 

yes we booked through an agent. It’s my 50th birthday when we go so I asked P&O if that was the reason (thinking they may flag something like that up) for the upgrade and the lady I spoke to said no. She said it was just a complementary upgrade.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DevonianCruiser said:

We’re going on Britannia next month and went in to the travel agents to pick up our tickets today. When we got home we noticed our cabin has changed. We had a superior balcony cabin and now have an aft suite. Very delighted and just hope this virus doesn’t stop travel. I did read that Britannia has a problem with smoke at the back of the ship but who cares eh, we’re delighted. Even more so as we got a price to upgrade on this very cabin 2 months ago and decided at £2,300 (if I recall) we’d pass.

The problem is soot and not smoke.  It is dependent on weather conditions so does not happen all of the time.  There is a cleaning regime to remove the soot which takes place every 2/3 days (or did last year).  Britannia post refit now has some extra canopies at the rear to try and stop the problem.  I haven't seen anyone mention if they have helped or not.  Darker clothes are not a bad idea as the soot does mark if you sit on some by mistake.

My "upgrade" was from a very good inside cabin on D deck that we had chosen and asked not to be upgraded, to a cabin on A deck, right below the Lido deck, which I wouldn't choose in a million years.  I rang and after some persuasion, they moved us back.

Fantastic, enjoy. We had an aft suite in Britannia last July and loved it. Breakfast in the Epicurean was always a particularly stylish treat and started the day in an extra special way. Actually, those breakfasts and the space in the suite (plus balcony) helped make the cruise more of an event. And no smoke/soot issues whatsoever.

Didn’t use the butler much but he was nonetheless very helpful.

The only negative of the suite for us, and I am arguably splitting hairs: the canapés - teasing us nightly with the lure of canapés, but then crushing our excitement when they arrive 😀. Primula smeared on Ritz crackers might have been more enticing. But I guess they’re not really made with foodies in mind and they were not a real issue in the grand scheme of things as the overall suite experience was so good. 

You will, I am sure, have a fabulous time.

Edited by Camberley

12 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'd forgotten about the canapés. The one downside to a suite! Don't be tempted to avoid embarrassment by flushing them down the loo. They block it.

LOL,  Harry, is that why you had your problems with the plumbing?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good one! But no that was an earlier occasion, and we learned quickly.  We also learned how useful metal coat hangers can be.  😊

Hope you disposed of  it carefully.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:14 PM, DevonianCruiser said:

Wow that’s fantastic! Enjoy it! 😊

On 2/27/2020 at 3:41 PM, jeanlyon said:

My "upgrade" was from a very good inside cabin on D deck that we had chosen and asked not to be upgraded, to a cabin on A deck, right below the Lido deck, which I wouldn't choose in a million years.  I rang and after some persuasion, they moved us back.

We had a similar problem on Oriana. Booked unobstructed outside and requested no upgrade. When the tickets were ready for printing we discovered an '"upgrade'"?? to outside obstructed. Apparently my TA didn't request the no upgrade. After some wrangling we got the original cabin back. Needless to say we've never used  that TA again. 

On 2/26/2020 at 6:14 PM, DevonianCruiser said:

How lovely, good for you! Make sure you get up in time for the exclusive breakfast experience!

Personally I love to sit out aft and just relax watching the wake. I hope that the weather is warm enough for you to try this. We also like the peace with an aft cabin as there is less foot traffic outside in the corridor.

Have a great cruise and I hope that it lives up to, and exceeds, your expectations.