Royal Caribbean vs Carnival

AngieC

I just wanted to let you all know that after spending a week on the newest of the Carnival Ships, myself and my group of 28 left very impressed! The Liberty is beautiful! This ship was everything I had read in the many reviews I found. The service, food, extremely comfortable beds, the large cabins, shows, activities and anything else you can think of pertaining to the ship were awesome! If you don't have plans to sail on the Carnival Liberty soon, you certainly should look into making them. The passengers were very pleasant and they all had their front teeth too!!!! LOL

:D

Sorry but I have been on a Conquest class ship and they are the worst designed vessel that I have cruised to date. Many dead ends. A very low passenger to space ratio and very crowded feeling. I have done five cruises on the Destiny/Conquest class ships and they are not for me. I gave them more than one chance too. Many people love them and Carnival fills them up week in and week out but no more for me.:) Now I do love the Spirit class ships.

I feel that the guests on RCI respect the dress code a lot more than the passengers on Carnival. I have yet to see anyone in the Windjammer in their P.J's or bathrobes.:eek:

I actually saw a younger (early 20's) female pax in their pj pants and a t-shirt in the dining room one morning on my Majesty cruise Jan '05! :eek:

And some people are complaining about jeans. ;)

..taking one cruise of one, and one cruise of another is not enough information to make a universal blanket statement that one is BAD, the other

is GOOD.

Different ships in the same fleet differ..older to younger ships..different crews...even the time of year..just like the best of us have a "bad day"..

even the best ships have a "bad week" compared to others.

Cruisingators post was an intelligent expression based on multiple experiences with both.....the one before....well...

Mitch

I am looking forward to our first RCI cruise later this month. I have been on only Carnival cruises until this point. The early Carnival ships we were on back in the 80's were enjoyable and we did not notice a drop in the service, food or clientele until last year.

While we were only on a 4 day cruise, I noticed several women guests with full head's of curlers in their hair walking around, dress codes virtually ignored and some who looked like they couldn't afford bus fare home. There were times I felt like I was in Penn Station with some very strange people at 3 in the morning!

Food was ok, but I think that depends alot on the ship/cruise you're on vs. the line in this case. Service was just ok--nothing special. Shows were good, onboard activities were good; shore excursions just average.

Decor is definitely a different style. It's rio meets vegas. Not exactly my style.

Perhaps it was because it was a 4-day cruise and not a 7-day one--but we promised ourselves to try another cruise line this year after that experience.

Can't wait to cruise the Voyager on Feb 25. I will surely post a review when I come back as others have been so kind to do so for us.

..taking one cruise of one, and one cruise of another is not enough information to make a universal blanket statement that one is BAD, the other

is GOOD.

Different ships in the same fleet differ..older to younger ships..different crews...even the time of year..just like the best of us have a "bad day"..

even the best ships have a "bad week" compared to others.

Cruisingators post was an intelligent expression based on multiple experiences with both.....the one before....well...

Mitch

I guess I overstepped my bounds a little. I was making a statement on my experiences. I also said that my opinion may change over time. If no on ever expresses their opinion then this site would die.

I personally enjoyed RCI more than Carnival for my experiences. I also have compared with other friends of mine that have cruised multiple ships and they feel the same way. I had a wonderful cruise on Carnival but I PERSONALLY prefer RCI. My opinion!

..Sorry if my post seemed to "flame" you a little. You are entitled to your opinion, and it's true many (even those with more cruise experience) feel

RCI is superior.

..It's your money, and you should spend it where you feel comfortable..I just

feel that one cruise on one ship....well I've already said it; you know what I mean.

I have found so much to like on both cruiselines that I am a big cheerleader for both I guess.

..And still I am giving NCL "Freestyle" a shot next.

Mitch

My family and I took a 7-day Star Princess cruise that was very similar to the Carnival Conquest itinerary. We drove 18 hours to take the Princess cruise rather than 7 to take the Carnival cruise.

At Cozumel, we were reboarding at the same time. For some reason there was a huge Carnival line. There were a lot of loud, rowdy people in the Carnival line, and based on the people I saw waiting in line, they just weren't the people I would like to cruise with.

Of course, everyone has their own opinion.

I probably am biased, but I love RCCL. We started out with our honeymoon cruise and don't intend to look back. I haven't been on a zillion cruises, but from what I remember, Carnival just had more kids and a "party croud" RCCL was for an older crowd wanting to relax and enjoy.

But kids or no kids, party or no party, I'm a cruise nut now!! and I just like RCCL because that's all I know!

Newbie, loving these boards!! :D

I have never sailed Carnival, but must disagree with Jerry's stereotypes (tonge in cheek) on RCI's passengers. Maybe a long time ago, when cruising was still a sport only for the rich would his observations have a kernel of truth to them, but not anymore!! Of course, there are all types on all ships, but if Carnival is trailor trash, then I would have to categorize RCI's passengers as trailor trash with the biggest trailors in the hood!!!!!!!!! I really don't think you can generalize anymore.

We just returned from the Carnival Inspiration......we had sailed Carnival 21 years ago and it was rather mediocre then. We thought after all these years and many cruises later (mostly with Royal Caribbean) we would give them a try again....this is my opinion.....

--Our dinner seating request for 6:15 was bumped to 8:30...first time that has EVER happened on a cruise. We went to see the matre'd at the appropriate time and we were told that there were lots of groups onboard so we had to be bumped. He wasn't the least bit apologetic about it.

--The service crew workers were very friendly on Carnival, but the "other crew" would barely speak to you, even if you said hello first....very rude. I found that Royal Caribbean is definitely more friendly to the passengers.

--I saw MANY crew members in the public places, eating, drinking....not socializing with the passengers, but more with each other. Something I have rarely seen on RCCL. I actually had to ask a crew member to please step aside by the coffee machines so that a group of paying passengers could get a cup!

--The internet on Carnival is EXTREMELY slow compared to RCCL....get the package with LOTS of minutes, cause you will use them up waiting for your webpages to load.

--On RCCL, you hardly ever see the cabin stewards....they kind of sneak in and out when you aren't around to keep things tidy. On Carnival, the halls were always filled with stewards, laundry bags full of dirty towels, carts, vacuums, etc....it was a mess.

--In regards to nightly entertainment, I have to give the edge to Carnival. They had many nightclubs with a terrific variety of entertainment from karaoke, piano bars, sing a longs, disco and a rock and roll band. However, the daily entertainment, games, etc would have to go to RCCL.....their cruise directors are always around getting people involved...I didn't see that on Carnival. And you can't beat RCCL's "Quest" game.......Carnival's "What's in the Bag" game doesn't even come close!

--Food-wise....I like RCCL better.....including dining room AND buffet food. Carnival's room service however, is very timely and efficient.

To sum up, I'm glad we tried Carnival again, but I don't think we will be back.

Sorry but I have been on a Conquest class ship and they are the worst designed vessel that I have cruised to date. Many dead ends. A very low passenger to space ratio and very crowded feeling. I have done five cruises on the Destiny/Conquest class ships and they are not for me. I gave them more than one chance too. Many people love them and Carnival fills them up week in and week out but no more for me.:) Now I do love the Spirit class ships.

I agree. My cruise on Glory was a mob scene, day and night. The pools are overcrowded and poorly designed, the lines in the Lido ridiculous, the dining room is too crowded with booths and tables, and the entire ship overrrun with bodies.

Price points fill these ships, IMO.

I have just gotten back from my first Carnival cruise on the Conquest after previously sailing on the Rhapsody and Splendour. I do agree that it was a little confusing the first day learning our way around due to the dead ends. I did not notice any problems with crowding. We always found room at the adult only pool, we were very pleased with how small the lines were for meals and could always find a table by the water.

As far as differences I mainly noted the following:

Tendering was a lot easier on Carnival.

Carnival did not have as many announcements and was not pushing the drinks, auctions, shopping or photos.

RCCL had more of a party atmosphere.

I like RCCL the best too. My first cruise was with Carnival and it could have been my last. I did some research and booked another cruise on RCCL and had a wonderful time. I am now an addict and can't get cruising out of my mind. Here are some of my thoughts....it was my experince so don't flame me!!!

1) On carnival, it was like big time wrestling to get on a tender. ALot of pushing and shoving. On Rccl, calm and relaxed while waiting in line for the tender.

2) Went to the bathroom on Carnival and someone took my chair at the pool and the belongings that were on them. I was only gone for 10 minutes for a potty break. Had to walk around until I found my stuff. On Rccl,the pool was crowded but I still found a chair just outside of the pool area. No complaints.

3) Food was the same. Except for the evening buffet. RCCL was better.

4) Service was close to being the same. I thought the room stewards were better in RCCL. They always had time to say hello in the hallways.

5) The biggest reason we like RCCL is the amentities on the ships. We are active and really enjoy all of the "active" choices we have on sea days.

Skyw

I just got off the Fascination after having done 10 RCI smaller ship cruises and would have to agree with all of QTBabyNurse's points. I did favour the beach towels, bath robes and toiletries on Carnival though.

..RCI's ships fleetwide are more consisitently beautiful and well designed..

The difference in quality of Carnival from class to class (say Holiday class

to Destiny class) is huge.

I do notice that most those posting here tried either an older Fantasy class,

or a Destiny/Conquest class. The Spirit Class ships of Carnival even get praise

from non-fans for their beauty (no neon here), and design.

A poster made a good point about a subtle difference in staff attitudes.

On many (but not all) Carnival ships, though the service staff was very cheerful and helpful; others like maintenance and even officers are a bit

stand-off-ish. Not rude, but less than cordial.

On my three RCI cruises, virtually everyone from top to bottom were

very upbeat..lots of "good mornings, sir"..."hello, sir" "How are you today"..

and smiles. On the Jewel of the Seas, the first day and a half, I lost count

of the happy "Welcome, aboard"'s I received. When you consider that some of these folks may not be having the best of days, that is real professionalism.

It's a shame, that for whatever reason..Royal Caribbean can't improve the

main dining room fare a little. For some reason, Carnival seems to beat them

out..although in other food areas RCI is equal or surpasses CCL (except the

pizza ofcourse).

Mitch

I think the differences will depend a lot on which ship you sail on the respective cruise lines.

We noticed:

RCCL- over-all service was a step above Carnival.

RCCL- ship decor more tasteful. IMO

RCCL- less small children.

Carnival- better entertainment.

I would sail on any of the newer Carnival ships again if the ITN was right and same with RCCL.

You will also notice a difference in the passengers. Royal Caribbean passengers live in mansions, have a Mercedes and a Cadillac Escalade parked in front, name their kids Muffy and Brighton, wear clothes by Armani and Vera Wang and drink the finest champagne. Carnival passengers live in trailers, have two rusted out cars parked in front, name their kids Billy Ray and Lisa Sue, wear Walmart coveralls and drink from a jug.....:eek:

Ahahahahahaha............:D :D

What I have found true for BOTH cruiselines is: the longer the cruise, the

older, and in some cases a little more "well-healed" (i.e.money)..the shorter

the cruise, younger,"less-healed" (if that's a word), and perhaps more

party attitude. But these are not universal truths, and a nice mix of all

kinds of folks can be found on both most of the time.

Mitch

not to quibble, but because some might find it of interest, I believe the expression is "well-heeled", as in having good shoes (showing your wealth thusly). But given a choice, i guess i'd rather be "well-healed"!

I actually saw a younger (early 20's) female pax in their pj pants and a t-shirt in the dining room one morning on my Majesty cruise Jan '05! :eek:

And some people are complaining about jeans. ;)

We actually saw a woman in full pjs and bathrobe at breakfast on Carnival Victory! I was stunned!

But we love carnival, we love NCL, and we plan to love RCL! (Have to give the nod to NCL for freestyle though.)

Archived