Changing instead of cancelling? Future Cruise Credit...

I'm in New York, which apparently does *not* allow travel insurance with 'cancel for any reason'. I travel with a basic policy due to chronic health issues.

I am booked on a cruise in October 2020 and found out last night that a friend's wedding is scheduled for the day we embark. What are the chances that I can have them switch to a cruise the week before or after (I'll pay the difference if it's a more expensive cabin)? I'm concerned for two reasons: obviously losing some of my original deposit, but I also had a Future Cruise Credit of $300 applied to my balance and I'm concerned that will not like transfer over to a new booking. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? I want to have as many of my ducks in a row as possible before I call.

48 minutes ago, waxing witch said:

I want to have as many of my ducks in a row as possible before I call.

Assuming you have an NRD booking, you’ll lose $100 pp and any perks specific for your original booking. The FCC should transfer along with the balance of your deposit. The new booking will be at prevailing rates. 

The future cruise credit will not transfer over directly.  It will revert back to its original form with the original terms and conditions.  If it can be applied to your new cruise by meeting the terms and conditions then you can apply it.

example.  The original FCC had a condition that it must be applied within 12 months and you are now 12 months and a day from when it was first issued you will not be able to use it.

Thanks for the info everyone. It was a non-refundable $500 deposit. The FCC was $300 that had to be used for a sailing by 12/2020 and it was from a 2019 cruise that I had to cancel for work reasons (and I did not have a policy with cancel for work - you know I do now). 

1 minute ago, waxing witch said:

Thanks for the info everyone. It was a non-refundable $500 deposit. The FCC was $300 that had to be used for a sailing by 12/2020 and it was from a 2019 cruise that I had to cancel for work reasons (and I did not have a policy with cancel for work - you know I do now). 

The $500 NRD means that you can’t get it back - but only $100 of that would not be transferred to a new cruise as a FCC!  So you would be able to move $400 worth and likely your original FCC would transfer as well based on the dates here.   

I think it’s a good idea to check prices on the dates you want to switch to - it might all work out for you!! 

5 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

The $500 NRD means that you can’t get it back - but only $100 of that would not be transferred to a new cruise as a FCC!  So you would be able to move $400 worth and likely your original FCC would transfer as well based on the dates here.   

I think it’s a good idea to check prices on the dates you want to switch to - it might all work out for you!! 

Prices the cruise before (mid-September) and after (mid-October) are within about $20 of what I paid, so I'm perfectly happy to switch to either of those.