aft facing cabin on Zuiderdam

theduktor

We will be on the Zuiderdam on a partial transit on the March 18th cruise from Lauderdale. Does anyone know what time we transit, and is our aft facing cabin a good viewing area for this. Recommendations welcome.

Normally the ship will arrive at the Cristobal breakwater (Atlantic entrance)5-5:30ish.   From there it will about an hour or so to reach Gatun locks

The return passage through Gatun can take place anytime from 11-12 or after. 

The only reason I do not care for an aft cabin for a canal transit is all the narration is given with a forward perspective. Otherwise view is wonderful. 

Edited by BillB48

29 minutes ago, theduktor said:

We will be on the Zuiderdam on a partial transit on the March 18th cruise from Lauderdale. Does anyone know what time we transit, and is our aft facing cabin a good viewing area for this. Recommendations welcome.

You don't want to just sit in one place during a Panama Canal transit. There are different things to see from all angles. IMO the view from an aft  balcony is the least desirable of all the possible viewing spots on the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You don't want to just sit in one place during a Panama Canal transit. There are different things to see from all angles. IMO the view from an aft  balcony is the least desirable of all the possible viewing spots on the ship. 

Totally agree. There are many threads here asking "where is the best place to be" during a Canal transit. A balcony is far down the list.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if your cruise was cancelled or not, but if it was, I'd recommend rebooking the Panama Canal on HAL when this is all said and done. It was by FAR the best cruise I've ever taken (but to be honest, I've only been on a handful so far).

Did the PC on the Zuiderdam. I'd recommend going on the ship's bow for the transit. We were originally supposed to transit the Gatun Locks around 6 am, but didn't start until 8 am due to volume in the locks. The bow gets VERY crowded, so I'd get up extra early to eat breakfast, and then make your way to the bow as soon as you can. Definitely an awesome experience.

The ship will then drop anchor in the Gatun Lake to offload those taking an excursion. Only those with an excursion will be allowed to offload. After that is done, the ship will then head back out through the locks again (I took an excursion to Panama City, so I don't know what time the ship ventured back through the locks that day) and dock in Colon to collect the passengers who took an excursion. You will be allowed to venture off the ship in Colon. If you do, I would recommend staying within the port. There will be some natives selling their stuff, but outside the port is a VERY shady area.

Edited by globetrotter212
  • Like 1