HERO sailings

cruise kitty

2 hours ago, kiwimum said:

We have had to cancel as our son in law has had his leave cancelled.  Freed up 4 Balcony cabins,

I'm sorry :(    

I have a feeling this is going to happen with quite a few of us.  I will be very surprised if we don't end up in the same situation....  going to assume (I know that  word) that most CA first responders will be on call for at least the next 4 to 6 weeks or so... & they will do so very willingly, which is why these were called Hero sailings, except I have a feeling most of our heroes won't be able to go.   

I hope your SIL & family stays safe & healthy through this situation, & thanks to him for his service.

Hi Guys!

We have a group going on the 31st and really looking forward to trying out Celebrity.  I have another gang of friends with cabins on the 2nd as well, though I won't be on that sailing with them unfortunately. Just FYI in case the Celebrity reps didn't tell you, it looks like every other cruise actually debarks in Ensenada. For example the 31st sailing we have a full day in port but the on the April 2nd sailing there's just a quick crew tender and no guests are allowed to disembark. I doubt it will matter too much as the ship is surely going to be the best part! This might be common knowledge, but just thought I'd toss it out there. 

See some of you on board!

Well we were going on the 31st.  Our friends, who are the qualifying Veteran, are now not going.  His Dr said he doesn't want him on the ship because he is a kidney cancer survivor and a type 2 Diabetic.  They want us to still go but I don't know if we will or evem if we are still allowed to go since there will be no First Responder or Veteran in our group now.

I cannot imagine a circumstance in which any first responder should be taking a cruise right now.  Glad that Celebrity is making this offer, but it seems very tone deaf if not even a tad cynical.

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

I cannot imagine a circumstance in which any first responder should be taking a cruise right now.  Glad that Celebrity is making this offer, but it seems very tone deaf if not even a tad cynical.

When these were first offered the circumstances were very, very different.  I highly doubt we will be able to go.  DD's school just called an emergency staff meeting (we think they will be closing)  SIL has had all vacation time cancelled, but they have not yet gone to 12 hour on/off shifts.  That will probably be next.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisin'mama said:

Looks like Celebrity cancelled all cruises leaving from the US for the next 30 days.....

Since RCCL just announced it is suspending cruising in the US for 30 days, and Celebrity is owned by RCCL, that seems accurate.  Looks like none of us is going.

The big question is, will they re-offer the heroes' cruises???

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5193/

8 minutes ago, karen456 said:

Since RCCL just announced it is suspending cruising in the US for 30 days, and Celebrity is owned by RCCL, that seems accurate.  Looks like none of us is going.

The big question is, will they re-offer the heroes' cruises???

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5193/

I wouldn’t expect that to happen as Celebrity would have to cancel revenue sailings in order to accommodate. It was a great gesture while Millie was in limbo. 

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

I wouldn’t expect that to happen as Celebrity would have to cancel revenue sailings in order to accommodate. It was a great gesture while Millie was in limbo. 

I just spoke to Neil at Celebrity. He said "no decision has been made on whether we will offer new Heroes cruises." He said as of 2 hours ago, they were still going to have the sailings. He said because this is so new, they haven't had a chance to decide if they will be re-offered. He did tell me that they had a tremendous response for the cruises from first responders.

Edited by karen456
posted it backwards

The Hero Cruises were a great gestures. Since we weren't paying for them, I will sit patiently and let the revenue customers figure out their cruises with Celebrity over the next 30 days. I'm sure we will hear something from Celebrity in a week or two. They have been quite generous, so I am looking forward to seeing what happens, but regardless will not be disappointed. I am more concerned about the businesses and travel industry that are so affected by all of this. I hope they can all recover.  Cheers

Edited by Quimby

1 hour ago, karen456 said:

I just spoke to Neil at Celebrity. He said "no decision has been made on whether we will offer new Heroes cruises." He said as of 2 hours ago, they were still going to have the sailings. He said because this is so new, they haven't had a chance to decide if they will be re-offered. He did tell me that they had a tremendous response for the cruises from first responders.

Looks like the Canadian Gov’t is now looking to ban cruise ships w/over 500 people from its ports until July 1. If that happens, Millie has nowhere to go for the foreseeable future. Maybe they’ll reschedule after the current 30-day U.S.ban? The reference is buried in the article linked below.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6671621/justin-trudeau-coronavirus-travel/

Edited by BEAV

Maybe Celebrity can just allocate a number of cabins on each cruise for heroes who were booked to make up for this? That way the gesture is still made but it doesn't take a big chunk out of a revenue producing cruise. They are going to need all the revenue they can get after this virus.

28 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Maybe Celebrity can just allocate a number of cabins on each cruise for heroes who were booked to make up for this? That way the gesture is still made but it doesn't take a big chunk out of a revenue producing cruise. They are going to need all the revenue they can get after this virus.

That's an interesting suggestion, and one that might actually be feasible.

I figure we didn't actually lose anything by losing these, but it sure would have been nice if they had happened.

1 hour ago, Quimby said:

The Hero Cruises were a great gestures. Since we weren't paying for them, I will sit patiently and let the revenue customers figure out their cruises with Celebrity over the next 30 days. I'm sure we will hear something from Celebrity in a week or two. They have been quite generous, so I am looking forward to seeing what happens, but regardless will not be disappointed. I am more concerned about the businesses and travel industry that are so affected by all of this. I hope they can all recover.  Cheers

1 hour ago, Quimby said:

Celebrity sent out this email.  We didn’t pay for the Heroes cruise so it doesn’t apply.  (We had purchased a 4-day “Heroes Charity Cruise” but it had already been canceled by Celebrity to create 2 more free cruises).  

11F49352-4860-4B4D-9CCF-A64BAFE2DEB8.png

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, karen456 said:

The Celebrity Q & A web page is updated to say that the Heroes cruises will NOT be re-offered.  Oh well....

Not surprising. It was a nice idea, given the circumstances at the time. The circumstances have changed. 

I wish you all health and safety. 

• Like 1