Rio and Amazon-things to do and see

veggieonboard

Sorry if this has been covered but can't find any info if anyone has been to Rio and to Amazon with O can they let me know what there is do in the ports, if you felt it was safe to DIY trips and what ship tours were like, thanks so much, trying to get organised I know it is a year away until we go, ut already excited! Thanks Everyone.

If you list the ports, it will be easier for people to make recommendations. I admit that I'm too lazy to look it up.

We added a few days in Rio before embarkation and found lots to do. We took several "free" walking tours of different areas. The Museum of Tomorrow, right near the cruise dock, is excellent.

We also added a 3 day trip to Iguazu Falls, which was fabulous. 

11 minutes ago, Andee said:

If you list the ports, it will be easier for people to make recommendations

Opps sorry yes, half asleep having just got home from New Zealand!

o we start at Rio, visit, Maceio, Reclife, Alter Do Chao, Boca Do Valerie, Manus, Paritins, Santerem, St Lucia and St. Barts-Gustavia,  thanks for the tips so far.

We never felt unsafe in Rio, walked around on our own, took the metro and VLT often.

In St Bart's, we rented an ATV to go around the whole, small island. They brought the ATV to the dock.

In St Lucia, we rented a car with a couple we "met" on cruise critic. For a small additional amount, they provided a driver. We scheduled a tour of a rum distillery, went to the Sulphur Springs--and I can't remember what else.

5 minutes ago, Andee said:

We never felt unsafe in Rio, walked around on our own, took the metro and VLT often.

In St Bart's, we rented an ATV to go around the whole, small island. They brought the ATV to the dock.

In St Lucia, we rented a car with a couple we "met" on cruise critic.

Thanks for the info, good to know you felt safe, all sounds wonderful, can't wait.

For Rio, we hired a private GUIDE for 2 days.  Our ship ship stayed overnight and then we disembarked the second day.  TOUR GUIDE GUS , was amazing. On the second day he picked us up eith our luggage, toured with us and at night dropped us off at the airport.  He knew all the best places.  I wouldn't go wandering on my own.

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

For Rio, we hired a private GUIDE for 2 days.  Our ship ship stayed overnight and then we disembarked the second day.  TOUR GUIDE GUS , was amazing. On the second day he picked us up eith our luggage, toured with us and at night dropped us off at the airport.  He knew all the best places.  I wouldn't go wandering on my own.

Thanks for info we may only be there 1 night. and in the morning before cruise, depending on flights, ut thanks good to know.

We were just in Rio prior to a Marina cruise. 

Be aware that if you will be there just prior to Carnivale many museums and sites will be closed in addition to the regularly scheduled Monday or Tuesday closures. Sugarloaf and Christ the Redeemer Monument are open but crowded. 

This year Rio, and central Brazil have had inordinate amounts of rain but that just made our visit to the Tijuca Forest with it's awesome waterfall just that much more exciting.  

There is so much to see and do in Rio but if you want to get out of town head to Petropolis.

Leticia Levy of Rio Plus Tours was our guide for two wonderful days. Our tour was focused on Jewish sites but she knows her city well and worked diligently with us to make the most of our time with her. Because we were there just a few days before Carnivale we thoroughly enjoyed our stop at a Carnivale warehouse to see floats under construction, costumes, and even got a Samba lesson.

Be conscious of your surroundings as you should be anywhere. We neither saw nor experienced any safety issues....fortunately.

Use the Ports of Call/Destinations boards here even though they don't have a huge amount of tour recommendations. You should also be able to utilize Trip Advisor too.

Have a wonderful cruise!

13 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

(Rio) I wouldn't go wandering on my own.

We did for 3 days... and it is super easy (like any other big city in the world) and I always felt safe. Stay away from the favelas (they are no where close to the main center of town and the tourist areas). If you don't know where they are, simply ask... Brazilians are amazingly wonderful people! I so loved this trip for the culture and the locals. Uber worked extremely well, as did the the very modern light rail system which connects immediately in front of the ship at the port to the center of the city for $4 reals (basically $1 US = 4 reals).

For any of you who have read my French Polynesia review (or other RCL reviews), I'm an extremely active guy, not a museum person. However The National History Museum (Museo Historico National) was truly outstanding, I was blown away. Fantastic displays with English and easily understandable history throughout chronologically to understand the birth of Brazil through to present day. It was referred to us by our "free" tour guide the day before (who was by the way specifically sourced out here on CC and hired for a walking tour by a large group of fellow Marina cruisers the next day). He implored us over and over to visit the museum.

The Museum of Tomorrow (4 block walk from the ship) was also good, however had little to do with Brazil or the South American culture.

Several companies run "free" walking tours starting at either 9:30am or 10:30am... so well deserved. O's equivalent walking tour for the same 3 hours was $129 per person I think.... we paid the guide 200 reals total ($25US each) and he was so very grateful (an average laborer's wage for a Rio native is in the $300US range per month)

Another must see stop is the oldest bakery/chocolate maker/cafe in Brazil, right in the center of town, called "Cafe Colombo".

World class coffee and pastries, and great lunch. The location has some amazing history. Line-ups out the door 50 people deep with about a 15-20 minute wait however so worth it, we went back for lunch twice. Seriously, one of the best coffees I've ever had anywhere in my travels in a gorgeous setting. Not a tourist trap... the history and the venue alone is worth a  visit even if you're not having lunch. Most walking tours visit there as it's a major piece of Rio's history during their golden coffee producing era.

The Lapa steps (Escadaria Selaron) in the Lapa district is a must see for any first time tourist.

The Santa Teresa Tram was also extremely popular, about a 2 hour return trip.

The Library and Theatro National are superb gorgeous buildings. Entry to the Library is free, but you need 1 real (coin) for the lockers as absolutely no bags allowed inside. This library is "Harry Potter" quality. In the same square is the Theatro, also highly guarded and only offering public tours every day at 3pm (when we got there at 2:45 it was sold out with another 10 people in front and behind us being turned away). They sell tickets starting at 10am for the same day.

Do some homework, google is your friend.... there are so so so so many great things to do and see. I did not know how much I would love this trip and cruise. Rio (and Brazil in general) is awesome... and don't get me started on how much I loved Buenos Aires & Iguassu Falls.... outstanding vacation experience for anyone thinking about doing this trip. Just do it.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

Use the Ports of Call/Destinations boards here even though they don't have a huge amount of tour recommendations. You should also be able to utilize Trip Advisor too.

Have a wonderful cruise

Thanks so much, I must apologise forthe spelling mistakes, just home and obviously jet lagged, thanks for wonderful suggestions. 

I did the Amazon with Regent around 10 years ago.  I'm assuming not much has changed so I  would recommend doing excursions at most ports as transportation was an issue.  You can also look at ToursByLocals to see what they have, if anything.  I've noticed that in most places the cost to do a private tour through ToursByLocals isn't significantly higher than Oceania's group tours.  I'm doing a Sydney-Tokyo 38 day cruise with Oceania in October and booked most of my tours through ToursByLocals with an overall price difference of around $1,000 to book my own and do what I would like to do vs Oceania's unlimited package.  I would gladly pay an extra $100 or so per place to have a private tour than being herded through an excursion.  Some individual tours are actually less than what Oceania charges, depending on how many people are going (I'm doing it with 2 people).  If you have space I would also recommend going to the dollar store and buying a few trinkets (such as stuffed animals or coloring books).  These where very well received as most people don't have much in the Amazon.  Good luck and enjoy.

14 hours ago, victoria81 said:

Some individual tours are actually less than what Oceania charges, depending on how many people are going (I'm doing it with 2 people).  If you have space I would also recommend going to the dollar store and buying a few trinkets (such as stuffed animals or coloring books).  These where very well received as most people don't have much in the Amazon.  Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the info, yes I have stated colouring pencils, etc, I agree just home from New Zealand and we did most tours on our own through local companies and they all cost half the price of Azamara. Enjoy your trip from Sydney!

Edited by veggieonboard
spelling

19 hours ago, Shawnino said:

Possibly overlooked in Rio are the Botanical Gardens (so beautiful, so peaceful) and the artsy neighbourhood of St. Theresa (so much energy). 

We visited the botanical gardens in December, and loved it.  No crowds... and as stated above... so peaceful.  They have a stingless bee installation that was very interesting.

We also stayed in Santa Teresa for two nights prior to our cruise, and LOVED it.  Incredible vibe, art, and great restaurants.  I wish I could recommend the little Bondi tram, but the three times we attempted to take it, the tram was packed full and we couldn't board.  The area is very hilly, so be prepared when walking around.  We did not feel unsafe.

Now, there is something I feel the need to mention: Brazil is not a wealthy country.  There is poverty, and graffiti.  Things are not manicured, and the tourism industry is not well-developed.  It's an inward-looking country.  My husband and I were very put off by our fellow passengers on our ship who, it seemed, bitched incessantly about how "There is nothing to see here", and... "worse cruise ever".  It shocked me how little thought and research these people did before taking this cruise (12 days along the Brazilian coast from Rio to BA).  It was clearly not what they expected - tough I'm at a loss as to what they did expect.  There was plenty to see, the people are warm and fun to be around... but it's not the Amalfi coast. 

• Like 2

Forgot to mention - our favorite stop in Rio was the Samba school visit with Carnaval Experience.  It's organized through the kid's division of the Pimpolos de Grande Rio samba school, and all profits go to support the the kid's program.  Hugely educational and just as hugely entertaining.

9 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Now, there is something I feel the need to mention: Brazil is not a wealthy country.  There is poverty, and graffiti.  Things are not manicured, and the tourism industry is not well-developed.  It's an inward-looking country.  My husband and I were very put off by our fellow passengers on our ship who, it seemed, bitched incessantly about how "There is nothing to see here", and... "worse cruise ever".  It shocked me how little thought and research these people did before taking this cruise (12 days along the Brazilian coast from Rio to BA).  It was clearly not what they expected - tough I'm at a loss as to what they did expect.  There was plenty to see, the people are warm and fun to be around... but it's not the Amalfi coast. 

Thanks for the suggestions, we are in touch with a local company re Rio and Manaus and Recife, also found a few things to do in other places,  looks like plenty to do for us. I understand what you are saying, we have been to lots of places that are poorer countries than UK including India, we take it as we find it, and always enjoy!

• Like 1

My husband and I recently were on the Marina from Miami to Rio.  We had an itinerary very similar to yours.

So, I have a few recommendations.

Boca Do Valeria - Bring school supplies as this is a very poor village.  I gave out part of the school supplies to kids just after getting off the tender.  I was mobbed!  I highly recommend going to the school and donate the supplies there.  Also bring lots of $1 bills.  The kids all want to have their pictures taken - and expect a tip.  I probably spent about $25.  The kids were very cute all dressed up.  Parents also asked for a $ to tour their homes.  I didn't do this.

Alter Do Chao - Good town to just wander.  No need for a tour

Santarem - We did a Gil Serique tour.  5 hour boat tour of the river.  It was a fun day.  Highly recommend.

For some of the ports, we used Do Brazil Right.  In general, these tours were disappointing and not very organized.

If you go to Devil's Island, it is very interesting to walk around.  Many stayed on the ship, but I wouldn't recommend that.

For Rio, one day we got up very early and flew to Iguacu Falls.  It was a long day flying back and forth, but we're so glad we didn't miss it.  

Hope this helps.

Gail

16 hours ago, cruisingsfun said:

For some of the ports, we used Do Brazil Right.

Some lovely ideas thanks, did Oceania do the trip into Boca to the village, I would love to do that.

Can I ask why you did not lie the tours with Do Brazil right, they have been recommended by someone else and I just wondered,  we were thinking of doing Recife and Manaus with them.

I always try to get off if only for a few hours or I go cabin crazy,  thanks for all the help.