The big IF

puglady12

3 hours ago, puglady12 said:

Sailing on Seaside this Saturday with hubby and our two kids. 
Do we know that if a coronavirus case is found onboard if we will all be quarantined to the ship for a certain amount of time?? 

No, we don't know what the procedure will be. Given the quarantine aboard Diamond Princess proved to be ineffective, no one really knows what the procedure would be should someone aboard turn out to have covid-19 on the ship. More likely they would be  isolated and evacuated as soon possible - but ships don't have test kits for covid-19, they would have to be tested by nearest facilities to do so. (in the Caribbean, limited countries have testing facilities for covid-19).   Or, whatever country ends up doing the testing and reporting may decide a full quarantine is in order, as Japan did with Diamond. Or various countries may move to get their people home regardless.  No one knows. 

It's a risk, only you know how much risk you're willing to take. 

34 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

No, we don't know what the procedure will be. Given the quarantine aboard Diamond Princess proved to be ineffective, no one really knows what the procedure would be should someone aboard turn out to have covid-19 on the ship. More likely they would be  isolated and evacuated as soon possible - but ships don't have test kits for covid-19, they would have to be tested by nearest facilities to do so. (in the Caribbean, limited countries have testing facilities for covid-19).   Or, whatever country ends up doing the testing and reporting may decide a full quarantine is in order, as Japan did with Diamond. Or various countries may move to get their people home regardless.  No one knows. 

It's a risk, only you know how much risk you're willing to take. 

Can you explain what you mean by the portion in bold? Since the purpose of a quarantine is to keep the sick and exposed segregated from the general population, I would argue that it was very effective. The purpose was to keep people on land from being infected, so in that regard it was quite effective. Iran is doing next to nothing and the virus is spreading rapidly.

Let's try again. I know you can see my posts because you responded to a thread I created ;-).

The quarantine should have protected BOTH the Japanese on land and the guests in quarantine.

According to most experts, the quarantine was not handled properly, thus exposing many more people. Had the quarantine worked properly, it is likely diamond princess would not have had 700+ testing positive causing an challenge for countries repatriating- not to mention all those passengers still walking around Japan.

I wish I could find the clip from the university scientist who went on-board to oversee operations. He was very concerned that protocol for a proper quarantine was not being followed on DP. Needless to say, after walking around the quarantined ship for just one day, the breeches of quarantine he witnessed were bad brought that he put himself in a 14 day quarantine.

Here are just a few articles to help explain how the diamond princess quarantine went wrong-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/how-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus-quarantine-went-wrong-2020-2%3famp

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/nih-official-diamond-princess-quarantine-failed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/quarantine-cruise-ship-japan-question-69042133

• Like 1