Antarctica - how fit

I'm in my 70's and fairly fit- I would like to go to Antarctica in 2022- especially south Georgia and the Falklands

How fit to I need to be- (I could not to kayaking but don't think I'd have a problem getting in and out of a zodiac. I can walk several miles---but not necessarily uphill or rocky

any suggestions? comments?

I've only done Antarctica, I haven't done South Georgia or the Falklands.  In general, Lindblad is very good at offering a difficult hike and another option like an easier hike or a zodiac ride.  I can think of one stop we had where the hike was quite steep (they made everyone take walking sticks) and I don't remember if there was a second option, but the other stops with more difficult walks also offered an easier walk.

We had an 86 year old woman on our trip, she managed pretty well!

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I think Antarctica is definitely a worthwhile trip!

12 hours ago, califsealion said:

I've only done Antarctica, I haven't done South Georgia or the Falklands.  In general, Lindblad is very good at offering a difficult hike and another option like an easier hike or a zodiac ride.  I can think of one stop we had where the hike was quite steep (they made everyone take walking sticks) and I don't remember if there was a second option, but the other stops with more difficult walks also offered an easier walk.

We had an 86 year old woman on our trip, she managed pretty well!

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I think Antarctica is definitely a worthwhile trip!

Thank you

where did you go in Antarctica? I did a drive by cruise recently and want to see more

We went down the Antarctic Peninsula.  Our trip crossed the Antarctic Circle, but apparently it was the first time they had managed it that season.  We went in mid to late January.  Everything is dependent on weather conditions.  There was definitely one stop they usually do at an old abandoned camp we missed because of ice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We did three days south of the Antarctic Circle with Hurtigruten, landings each day.  Weather was fantastic in mid-February and the Drake was calm.  I was three months out of a total knee replacement and managed the zodiacs and landings.  Most challenging were the rocks, baseball to basketball sized, in several locations.  Used walking sticks and that was a significant help as well as a confidence booster.

You won’t have a problem. It isn’t that physically challenging, we had a woman who was in her sixties and blind, and she managed as well as anyone. 
It can be slippery on the rocks, and agree a hiking stick is a good idea. You don’t need to take long hikes to see what is of interest. South Georgia is amazing.

• 3 months later...

We have been twice both times Falklands then Sth Georgia then Antarctica. About 23 days out of Ushuaia. We went for a bit of luxury on the Bremen, Hapag Lloyd, and Island Sky, Noble Caledonia. Don’t go with Noble Caledonia. Lovely ship but not ice strengthened enough to go through proper ice. Look for proper ice ships, like Bremen.

lots of 70ish passengers and no problem at all. They know how to get everyone on and off the zodiacs. But it is 100% wet landings so you do need some degree of fitness. Definitely pick a trip with Falklands and S Georgia, for wildlife they are better than Antarctica.

They are the best 2 holidays we have had and that includes 2 to the Arctic and Svalbard.

Go for it.

Any questions just ask.

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:05 AM, simonpjd said:

We have been twice both times Falklands then Sth Georgia then Antarctica. About 23 days out of Ushuaia. We went for a bit of luxury on the Bremen, Hapag Lloyd, and Island Sky, Noble Caledonia. Don’t go with Noble Caledonia. Lovely ship but not ice strengthened enough to go through proper ice. Look for proper ice ships, like Bremen.

lots of 70ish passengers and no problem at all. They know how to get everyone on and off the zodiacs. But it is 100% wet landings so you do need some degree of fitness. Definitely pick a trip with Falklands and S Georgia, for wildlife they are better than Antarctica.

They are the best 2 holidays we have had and that includes 2 to the Arctic and Svalbard.

Go for it.

Any questions just ask.

How are these cruises for children?  We were looking to book one of these with our son - he is 11 now, but will probably be 12 or 13 before we can arrange to go.  He is very interested in traveling Antarctica but we weren't sure if there would be other kids his age on board.   

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2020 at 8:43 AM, RSLeesburg said:

How are these cruises for children?  We were looking to book one of these with our son - he is 11 now, but will probably be 12 or 13 before we can arrange to go.  He is very interested in traveling Antarctica but we weren't sure if there would be other kids his age on board.   

Not much on an expedition ship to do for children.  However, your 12/13 y/o should be fascinated by the ships itself, access to the bridge, cruising between ice floes and riding the zodiac to the landings and wildlife.