Luggage Valet when two different airlines are involved

RolyPolyRoly

On Apex TA 10/22/2020 and want to use luggage valet I have a American Airlines departing FLL at 12:28 PM with a 2 hour layover

in Cincinnati and a Delta flight the rest of my destination using Luggage Valet would My American Fight ship my bags to my final destination?  Can anyone answer my question and had the same thing happen to them 

Luggage valet is a way to check in with your airline (you and your bags) on the ship. It works just like you were doing it at the airport. You'll get your luggage tags and receipts, your boarding passes, etc the day before. Once your airline accepts your bags at the airport it's like you were never on a ship. You should be good with a 2 hour layover.

I somehow have my doubts because it's two different airlines who are not partners.  I am skeptical that American will fly your bag to Philadelphia without you being on one of their planes.  Do American and Delta ever share reservations, and do you really have a single reservation for the whole trip?  That would be the key.  If you were doing it yourself, would your bag be offloaded in Cincinnati for you to re-check with Delta for the final leg  home?  Or is American really working with Delta to transfer your bags? 

Does anyone have firsthand experience with this exact situation?  I would think the connecting flight info on the form is talking about a connection on the same airline or airline partner, like taking American to one city and American Eagle to the other.

I would be very surprised if this can be done. As others have stated using Luggage Valet is just like checking in at the airport. It would be one thing if it was a code share / partner airline I could see it being done, like from American to British Airways for example. I did a quick Google Search for "baggage transfer between american and delta"  and there are some results as of last year that says they will not do between American and Delta  unless they are on the same ticket.

My suggestion it to check directly with American  -  if they aren't on the same ticket you will need to claim your bags and recheck them.

I believe the key is that the confirmation number or record locator (which is a required part of the form) must contain both flights. Or as others have said, if you can stand in line at the airport and check your bag (without needing to claim and recheck) to your destination, you can use Luggage Valet. 

The wording on the form says “Connecting flights do not have to be on a participating airline, as long as it is on the same reservation.”

I would infer from that that as long as it is one reservation, the transfer between American and Delta will take place. If you have two reservations and would have to claim your bag at the intermediate stop and then check it in again, luggage valet would not work. But in this day and age that would be a very strange reservation to book.

Edited by cruisestitch

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

The wording on the form says “Connecting flights do not have to be on a participating airline, as long as it is on the same reservation.”

I would infer from that that as long as it is one reservation, the transfer between American and Delta will take place. If you have two reservations and would have to claim your bag at the intermediate stop and then check it in again, luggage valet would not work. But in this day and age that would be a very strange reservation to book.

Luggage Valet is just turning over your bags to the airline.  If that airline is taking care of your bags to the final destination, that is all that Luggage Valet cares about.  It's the idea that American would partner with Delta to transfer the bags at the connecting airport that I find suspect.  I would not trust a sentence on a form as the basis for making travel plans.  Definitely something for OP to confirm directly with the airline (or their TA) first.

All the airlines have to have is an interline agreement, not a codeshare agreement.  American and Delta do have an interline, so the luggage transfer will occur in CVG no problem.  If, however, the poster was transferring from American to Southwest, this would not go through as Southwest does not interline.  

13 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

All the airlines have to have is an interline agreement, not a codeshare agreement.  American and Delta do have an interline, so the luggage transfer will occur in CVG no problem.  If, however, the poster was transferring from American to Southwest, this would not go through as Southwest does not interline.  

Exactly along Alligiant and Spirit. Most if not all legacy airlines participate. 

Just as a warning -   We've done about a dozen TA and they have never offered luggage valet after a TA.  I asked the Retreat Manager on my last TA and she indicated it is never offered on repositioning cruise.   BTW this was on Edge TA in October.  

3 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

But isn't American and Delta's interline agreement only for irregular operations?  Cancellations/delays and that sort of thing?

Yes, I agree that it is unlikely that Luggage Valet will even be offered after a Transatlantic -- but if it is, Guest Relations will be able to tell you if your itinerary qualifies.  My opinion is that it does, but they will have the final word.

27 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

But isn't American and Delta's interline agreement only for irregular operations?  Cancellations/delays and that sort of thing?

You’re correct. Even then, I wouldn’t trust it. My experience recently at LGA, twice, has resulted in misrouted bag after being told I didn’t need to claim and recheck. Looks like it may be a moot point anyway if the service isn’t offered after TA’s. 

• Like 1