Day-Use Hotel Room

Robkat

I've been reading a review from someone who mentioned that they had a very late return flight home and that they had arranged for a day-use hotel room at an airport hotel.

Have many of you done this?  How do you find which hotels offer this?  And how do you find rates, as I've never seen that option when making a regular reservation?

More specifically, for the first time ever, we chose the NCL free air, from Denver to LAX, and for the return, we were given a late evening flight.  The idea of a day-use hotel room, near LAX, is very appealing.  

But short of calling dozens of hotel to inquire, I'm not sure where we find out which hotels offer this.

Thanks to anyone with any info on this! 😃

Thanks for that suggestion ... I'll do that.

But, rather than the specifics that'll be on that West Coast Departures forum, I really was more curious about whether many people use these day use hotel rooms.  And also where they find rates for this service.

Hoping that some with that experience will chime in.  

You can see that I've received good answers to some of my questions, but I was really hoping to hear from people who had done this.

To hear where they stayed (especially at LAX, since that's where we'll be), how they liked the experience, and afterwards, were you glad you'd done it, as opposed to taking a tour or just spending a long day at the airport waiting for late flights.

Using the replied suggestions, I've researched  the recommended sites, but I'd love to hear feedback on specific hotels from those of you who have actually done this.

thanks all.

1 hour ago, Robkat said:

To hear where they stayed (especially at LAX, since that's where we'll be), how they liked the experience, and afterwards, were you glad you'd done it, as opposed to taking a tour or just spending a long day at the airport waiting for late flights.

Virtually any airport at LAX will do this-- just depends on their occupancy or projected occupancy. If things are busy they will make you buy a room for the night.

We've done this at the Hilton and Marriott (close together) at LAX on a few occasions after a flight back from Asia and its worked well. I think we paid around $99 for the Marriott and a little bit more for the Hilton. They are both nondescript airport hotels. 

The most enjoyable day use hotel we've had flying through LA though was the Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica. I think it was $180 (when their rooms can go for $300-400 a night) and it was close enough to the airport but not as seedy as the area surrounding LAX. They will only do that if availability allows. 

Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles International Airport used to have a 24 hour rate, not day rate; meaning you could check in any time you arranged, 9AM, 11AM, etc (not waiting for the traditional 3PM check-in) and then the room was yours for 24 hours. I don't know if they have it since the Marriott merger.

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I don't know if they have it since the Marriott merger.

If you are talking about the "Your 24" thing, that went away with Starwood. Marriott kept it as an elite benefit for their very top tier Bonvoy members but not available to the public. 

Marriott really did ruin everything good and innovative about Starwood. 

On 3/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, Robkat said:

I've been reading a review from someone who mentioned that they had a very late return flight home and that they had arranged for a day-use hotel room at an airport hotel.

Have many of you done this?  How do you find which hotels offer this?  And how do you find rates, as I've never seen that option when making a regular reservation?

More specifically, for the first time ever, we chose the NCL free air, from Denver to LAX, and for the return, we were given a late evening flight.  The idea of a day-use hotel room, near LAX, is very appealing.  

But short of calling dozens of hotel to inquire, I'm not sure where we find out which hotels offer this.

Thanks to anyone with any info on this! 😃

www.hotelsbyday.com

Excellent site. I've used it two or three times. Best thing is that it gets you check in as early as 10:00 a.m.

Edited by zqvol

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Excellent site. I've used it two or three times. Best thing is that it gets you check in as early as 10:00 a.m.

But you have to pay the middle man! Most of the time you can get as good of a deal or better by going through the airport hotel directly by calling them. 

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and suggestions.

FAstpitchdad:  Given that our NCL transfers will probably get us to the airport pretty darn early in the morning, and given that we don't want to do a tour/excursion, and also given that we don't need to be at the airport until around almost 6pm, this whole idea for a day-use room appeals to us the most.

If our most flight was earlier, we'd definitely think about a airline lounge pass.

i appreciate the suggestions for websites to find day-use rooms.  We've looked at them both, and they're both easy to use and great.  We'll be booking something this weekend.

The reason I originally posted this on the NCL forum was because I was looking to hear back from people about their actual experiences doing this:

Whether they liked it, if they'd were glad that they went this route, and if they had any actual specific hotels to recommend (and for what reason).

Would still love to hear any of those experiences.

In the meantime, Cruise Critic has once again come through and pointed us in the right direction!  👍