Flora snorkeling question

bkfs

My husband (70)and I (67) are on the Flora on March 8 excursion. We’ve only snorkeled once and I am not sure if I’m going to be that adventuresome. If I choose not to do the snorkeling, are there other options while the rest of the guests or snorkeling?

Edited by bkfs
Added to it’s

1 minute ago, bkfs said:

My husband (70)and I (67) are on the Flora on March 8 excursion. We’ve only snorkeled once and I am not sure if I’m going to be that adventuresome. If I choose not to do the snorkeling, are there other options while the rest of the guests or snorkeling?

There will be a land based option but the one person in our party who chose it regretted not doing the snorkeling. When else in your life will you have the opportunity to snorkel with sea lions, penguins, and sea turtles...all at the same time? I was 61, had done a bit of surface snorkeling in the Caribbean, and am a decent swimmer in average shape at best. I was SO GLAD I went for it...even though the idea of a wet suit was very intimidating! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bkfs said:

If you search for "Dive Shops" in your area, you'll find they offer snorkeling instruction.  Look for one with their own pool, a class will generally take about 3 hours.  You'll be able to develop a great deal more comfort in the water, and you'll likely get much more out of your experience in the Galapagos.  Considering the cost, and the "once in a lifetime" nature of this trip, this would be time and money well spent. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

I can only speak for our experience onboard Xpedition.  When they do offer snorkeling, there are usually two options; a deep water snorkel from the zodiacs, or a beach snorkel.

I strongly recommend you at least try the beach snorkel. 

No one is going to make you do an excursion beyond your comfort level. The wet suit even adds a measure of additional boyancy and you can just enjoy the beach and the water if you prefer, or tire of snorkeling.

Edited by sippican
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, omeinv said:

If you search for "Dive Shops" in your area, you'll find they offer snorkeling instruction.  Look for one with their own pool, a class will generally take about 3 hours.  You'll be able to develop a great deal more comfort in the water, and you'll likely get much more out of your experience in the Galapagos.  Considering the cost, and the "once in a lifetime" nature of this trip, this would be time and money well spent. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Too late for class. We r leaving Friday. I’ll just do the beach snorkel and “dive” into it!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The water down there is COLD. You will definately need a wetsuit.

I didn’t cruise on the floral but I have to assume they provide or rent then. My ship provided them. No one in their right mind would expect you to snorkel there without a wetsuit.

Edited by sanger727

9 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

The water down there is COLD. You will definately need a wetsuit.

I didn’t cruise on the floral but I have to assume they provide or rent then. My ship provided them. No one in their right mind would expect you to snorkel there without a wetsuit.

wonder how she made out since her cruise was almost 2 years ago 

I am an avid snorkeler, I went with a friend who had NEVER snorkeled, she killed it first try, which was off the beach. She was so nervous, but its super easy. I think that if you give it a try, you'll be glad you did. But of course, the snorkels are usually in between the other 2 daily excursions, so you dont have to go on them. Or you can go in the zodiac and not get in the water. Your call. The wetsuits, they are thick, no idea how thick, but they do help keep you boyant for sure. You might be able to search on youtube and see some of the snorkels there too. 

The Galapagos has a dedicated team you can talk to.  Try giving them on call.  

The current HD on Edge spent time working in the Galapagos so if you are boarding Edge soon she is very willing to talk about anything related to the Galapagos.   

• 4 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 5:42 AM, twangster said:

The Galapagos has a dedicated team you can talk to.  Try giving them on call.  

The current HD on Edge spent time working in the Galapagos so if you are boarding Edge soon she is very willing to talk about anything related to the Galapagos.   

She loves talking about the Galapagos.  We sat down and chatted for over an hour one night!