Ports of call question

Johnc3211

Going on the Glory May 10th to Western Caribbean. Assuming this Coronavirus thing gets worse before it gets better, and more ports will not let people come ashore, what will Carnival do?Will they just cancel the cruises or keep trying to find someplace to dock, or maybe just cruise around and not stop anywhere. Would they contact us ahead of time about itinerary changes, or after we set sail? We love cruising and booked this cruise because of where it was leaving from and going to. Would not really want to go to places we have already been. Just wondering.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Banditswife said:

We are hoping things get better before May.  But are prepared to have 14 sea days if that's how it works out.  I think they will inform us when they can, but they may not know prior to your/our sail date.

Not sure if they can cruise for 14 days without refueling.  Plus, a ship sailing from the US must stop in at least 1 port in another country which is the only reason cruises to Hawaii spend a few hours in Ensenada on the way back.

These are unusual circumstances.  I know when we were on the Splendor & she lost propulsion power, they allowed us to go from Puerto Rico to Miami. 

All I am saying is that we hope all goes well on our cruise, but are prepared for unusual circumstances like being denied at a port or being quarantined.

Edited by Banditswife

Carnival cruises leaving from and returning to the same US port are not allowed to schedule cruises to nowhere.

However Carnival can't control decisions to close ports to cruise ships once a ship has set sail.  That would be considered a one-time exception to the rule.

If a large number of Caribbean ports were to close until further notice my guess is many cruises would have to be cancelled.

I trust there are many posters here who know far more than I do about maritime law and hope they will correct any incorrect or misleading statements or assumptions I have made.