Can I now cancel and rebook for lower price?

minorad

We are leaving on May 31st on the Encore out of NYC.  The price for the cruise has dropped significantly, however since we are paid in full, they won't price adjust.  With the new cancellation policy, can I cancel and rebook the same cruise to get the lower price?  Does the balance sit the as future cruise credit?

If you have a good travel agent; put the whole matter in his/her hands. We had a similar situation and she got us the lower price and we got to keep our booked cabins (there are four couple going). It was a savings of $800 per cabin on a $4800 cruise.

2 hours ago, minorad said:

We are leaving on May 31st on the Encore out of NYC.  The price for the cruise has dropped significantly, however since we are paid in full, they won't price adjust.  With the new cancellation policy, can I cancel and rebook the same cruise to get the lower price?  Does the balance sit the as future cruise credit?

No one knows. 

IN THE PAST, FCC associated with cancellations had to be used on one future cruise. Someone confirmed this yesterday, but I would not trust that response until Tuesday. 

So, if you have a $1000 cruise booked and cancelled it (getting a $1K FCC), you would have to use all of the $1000 on one future cruise. If the future cruise only costs $750, you forfeit the $250 remaining credit. 

Like I said, that is how the current cancellation FCC works. May be different in the future. 

Just hung up with NCL.  My daughters and I are booked on the Sky for a weekend getaway 3/27-3/30.  We booked an inside with beverage package, total cost was $1540.  They are now offering balcony with beverage package, excursion credit and $100 OBC for $1471.  Agent said they "won't take a loss in revenue", and said next step up would cost us $315 additional (aft balcony).  Also said that we could not cancel and then rebook the same cruise using the credit.  Just in case of someone on board being diagnosed, I am not thrilled with the idea of being restricted to an inside cabin breathing recirculated air.  We'll likely cancel and spend the weekend on the beach in Miami and maybe go next year.  

Well I called to see if they would upgrade our stateroom and they couldn't.  We currently have 2 adjoining balcony rooms and were hoping to upgrade to 2 adjoining mini-suite balcony rooms.  However, because the mini-suites are now lower in price than the balcony rooms I originally booked, they won't let us.  However, they did give me $1000 in onboard credit.

11 minutes ago, minorad said:

Well I called to see if they would upgrade our stateroom and they couldn't.  We currently have 2 adjoining balcony rooms and were hoping to upgrade to 2 adjoining mini-suite balcony rooms.  However, because the mini-suites are now lower in price than the balcony rooms I originally booked, they won't let us.  However, they did give me $1000 in onboard credit.

Even if they did agree to upgrade you (which they won’t if the price is lower), they could be very far from each other (they don’t upgrade connecting cabins as connecting cabins).

33 minutes ago, raitch said:

Some travel agents are refusing to do this for their clients right now.  Makes sense to me... it must take a lot of their time and effort and I would imagine it lowers their commission as well.  

Time to get a new travel agent. 

(BTW: Posting the name of a travel agent and advertising for them is not permitted on CC). 

59 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Time to get a new travel agent. 

(BTW: Posting the name of a travel agent and advertising for them is not permitted on CC). 

Showing that they’re doing something people don’t like is hardly advertising for them.  I was just showing proof that this is happening.  Here is the edited message.

IMG_2539.JPG

Edited by raitch
  • Haha 1

My dilemma for my cruises leaving next Saturday is that my ex is leaning towards not letting me take our son anymore. I wonder if they would let me cancel and rebook as a solo. I wonder how much savings there might be. The current prices and perks are way better.

9 minutes ago, HEATH3913 said:

My dilemma for my cruises leaving next Saturday is that my ex is leaning towards not letting me take our son anymore. I wonder if they would let me cancel and rebook as a solo. I wonder how much savings there might be. The current prices and perks are way better.

Most cabins are double occupancy, so unless the cruise is offering a solo discount or you chose to book a solo suite (if available), your cruise fare is the same.  You might be able to get an upgrade or 25% OBC for the price difference and/or upgraded perks.  Any prepaid expenses like DSC, excursions, and port fees for you son are refundable if you cancel (he can also be a no-show)  but nobody really knows if refunds would be in cash or FCC at this point.  You should be able to get excursions, DSC and port charges refunded onboard if he is a no-show, but I've not done it, so can't say for sure. 

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No one knows. 

IN THE PAST, FCC associated with cancellations had to be used on one future cruise. Someone confirmed this yesterday, but I would not trust that response until Tuesday. 

So, if you have a $1000 cruise booked and cancelled it (getting a $1K FCC), you would have to use all of the $1000 on one future cruise. If the future cruise only costs $750, you forfeit the $250 remaining credit. 

Like I said, that is how the current cancellation FCC works. May be different in the future. 

According to the FAQ on the new Piece of Mind policy:

If the cruise fare for the new booking exceeds the FCC’s value, guests will be responsible for the difference. Alternatively, if the new cruise fare is lower than the FCC’s value, a new FCC will be issued for the remaining balance.

Link

Edited by sicness4x4
  • Like 1

If I cancel my March cruise , can I use the FCC issued by NCL to put on a future cruise already booked for December, 2020?  I have only paid the deposit on the Dec cruise.  Would I be able to call NCL,  cancel the upcoming Mar cruise and apply the FCC to the Dec cruise in one step?  TIA

12 minutes ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

If I cancel my March cruise , can I use the FCC issued by NCL to put on a future cruise already booked for December, 2020?  I have only paid the deposit on the Dec cruise.  Would I be able to call NCL,  cancel the upcoming Mar cruise and apply the FCC to the Dec cruise in one step?  TIA

Short answer - nobody really knows yet.  The current cancellation fee schedule says it can be redeemed on ANY Norwegian sailing embarking on or before December 31, 2022.  (their caps)  So probably.

• Like 1