Taking temps before boarding

KysMommyRN

We’re heading to Long Beach for a quick 4 day on the Inspiration and got an alert that everyone (including crew) will be required to have their temperature taken before being allowed to board. I’m not mad, actually feel like it’s a pretty decent idea and actually wondering if this is something that might be worth implementing even after the current scare has passed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KysMommyRN said:

We’re heading to Long Beach for a quick 4 day on the Inspiration and got an alert that everyone (including crew) will be required to have their temperature taken before being allowed to board. I’m not mad, actually feel like it’s a pretty decent idea and actually wondering if this is something that might be worth implementing even after the current scare has passed?

I think it IS being implemented throughout Carnival, and maybe, hopefully, all other cruise lines as well. I know that a Carnival ship sailing out of Miami did that. Our own Organized Chaos had his temp taken before boarding. 

Friend works at Port Canaveral, does Carnival Cruise boarding.

Told me that they allow all passengers into the building, to stand in line, go to bathroom, whatever and then wait for pre-boarding, and only once your boarding group is called, do they take temperatures of people with an infrared temp gun.

Little late you'd think, since everyone has now been in lines together and confined together within the building.

Should be doing temps of people outside of the building

• Like 4

Told me that they allow all passengers into the building, to stand in line, go to bathroom, whatever and then wait for pre-boarding, and only once your boarding group is called, do they take temperatures of people with an infrared temp gun.

Little late you'd think, since everyone has now been in lines together and confined together within the building.

Very good point! I wasn’t sure of the circumstances, just going off of the notification that temps are required. I agree with you completely!

(Local ABC News Station in Orlando)

c42OJcCX_bigger.jpg

BREAKING: The Florida Department of Health is now advising anyone who travels ANYWHERE internationally to self-isolate for 14 days upon return. This is going to have a huge impact on our workforce in Florida. #COVID19 #coronavirus

DH works part-time at the Port of Tampa for all the cruise lines there and he worked for Carnival yesterday. He had his temp taken and so did the passengers. It's an instrument that points at the forehead but does not touch it at all. He and the rest of the ground crew were told not to touch passengers and have the passengers open their documents to show them before they go into the terminals. Cleaning crews come in at night to sanitize the waiting area chairs, stantions, check-in desks, and clean the carpets. There are Purell stations all over the terminals. He worked for Royal Caribbean on Sat. and he has his temp taken, but not passengers. Probably has changed since then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KysMommyRN said:

Another good point that I had not considered. People will always find a way.

I had thought of that, due to the fact that my husband and I both take Naproxen everyday due to various injuries and resulting joint/arthritic discomfort. Certainly we can’t be the only ones. It’s likely that if we had a fever, the Naproxen would mask it. 

19 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

If you take it outside in florida, you would probably end up with allot of false positives, since people would be waiting out in the sun, and for us northerners with our nerd tans, it doesn't take much to heat up and start sweating in the sun.  Once inside in the ac, it should be much less false positives.  

In a perfect world. there would be a way to verify everybody before they come to the port, but not sure how that would work.  There does not seem to be a great solution.  I hope that offering free postpones might make people that would have gone otherwise think twice, especially knowing that they are taking temps.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lensonlife said:

I had thought of that, due to the fact that my husband and I both take Naproxen everyday due to various injuries and resulting joint/arthritic discomfort. Certainly we can’t be the only ones. It’s likely that if we had a fever, the Naproxen would mask it. 

Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory drug that wouldn’t mask a fever if you had one. However, like others have already mentioned, there are drugs available that help reduce a fever if you have one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory drug that wouldn’t mask a fever if you had one. However, like others have already mentioned, there are drugs available that help reduce a fever if you have one. 

Sorry, but naproxen does indeed reduce fever, just like other nsaids like ibuprofen.  Maybe not typically used specifically for that, but even my daily dose of mobic would reduce a fever.  It's just the way nsaids work.

I can totally see people popping something otc prior to get in line, "just in case" and obviously plenty of us out here treating arthritis.  

15 minutes ago, DenaInWyo said:

Sorry, but naproxen does indeed reduce fever, just like other nsaids like ibuprofen.  Maybe not typically used specifically for that, but even my daily dose of mobic would reduce a fever.  It's just the way nsaids work.

I can totally see people popping something otc prior to get in line, "just in case" and obviously plenty of us out here treating arthritis.  

I was focusing on the term “mask”, which naproxen would not do. Understand that NSAIDs can reduce a fever. I admit if I wasn’t feeling well the morning of a cruise I would take Motrin to help alleviate any symptoms I had. 

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I was focusing on the term “mask”, which naproxen would not do. Understand that NSAIDs can reduce a fever. I admit if I wasn’t feeling well the morning of a cruise I would take Motrin to help alleviate any symptoms I had. 

If you take Naproxen around the clock, you honestly might not know you have a fever until you develop other symptoms. Many attempt to stay on top of their chronic pain, especially if they’re going to be active (like when on vacation). I would never attempt to sail while deliberately knowing I have this virus, so please know that. 

• Like 1

They are doing the best that they can do, of course there are ways around any situation that has open boundaries.  Not sure why someone would do this purposely.  They are allowing cancellations of potential positives at embarkation with no penalty.

5 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

If you take Naproxen around the clock, you honestly might not know you have a fever until you develop other symptoms. Many attempt to stay on top of their chronic pain, especially if they’re going to be active (like when on vacation). I would never attempt to sail while deliberately knowing I have this virus, so please know that. 

If I knew or even suspected I had the corona virus I would not cruise. I should have made that clear in my previous post. However, if I just had a cold or similar symptoms I would take medication no matter what I was doing that day. And if I had flu like symptoms these days I would go see my doctor to make sure what it was or wasn’t. I am not in a high risk category, but I wouldn’t want to unknowingly be passing around this virus. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EngIceDave said:

Keep in mind, some who have the flu deny it, believing they only have a "bad cold."

How often you heard the term "bad cold" from someone?

These are special times that require special circumstances.  The point again is, they are doing everything they can do, cruisers should do the same, no exception.  Instead of looking for ways around, compliance is what we should be discussing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EngIceDave said:

Not arguing, only pointing out that some people can mistakenly call what is the flu only a bad cold.

Not everyone goes to the doctor for a cold or even a bad cold

Understand, was making the point more for readers.