NY Cruise Hotel or strait to the pier?

Hey all, I have a question I would like some feedback on. We are booked on the 3/15 Gem sailing out of New York, We currently have the Hampton Inn (Ridgefield Park) stay and cruise package booked. This would be less money than parking at the pier but we would have to ride the shuttle (or private driver) to the pier. We are driving from western PA so could stop maybe an hour from NY and then just drive in and park at the pier morning of cruise. Cost difference would be around $250. I am unsure of where the current virus hot spots are in NY so I am unsure if the hotel would be near any of these areas. Just trying to limit the possible exposure pre cruise not too concerned once we are on the cruise.. Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

A good place for this non-NCL-related discussion is the East Coast Departures forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

I am crusing on a NCL cruise How is it a Non NCL question? How is it any different than are you canceling? hoping to get feedback from someone who is cruising NCL that may not frequent the east coast departure boards..

Edited by Little Hickory Stump

27 minutes ago, Little Hickory Stump said:

I am crusing on a NCL cruise How is it a Non NCL question? How is it any different than are you canceling? hoping to get feedback from someone who is cruising NCL that may not frequent the east coast departure boards..

It's not an NCL question because its applicable to cruising on any cruise line departing from NY.  It has nothing to do with NCL per se. The moderators must agree because the thread was moved to East Coast Departures.

In any event, your hotel is in NJ, not NY, so knowing where there are COVID-19 hot spots in NY wouldn't be of much use. The hotel is in Bergen County, and there have been a few cases in that county, so if that concerns you then don't stay there. 

32 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It's not an NCL question because its applicable to cruising on any cruise line departing from NY.  It has nothing to do with NCL per se. The moderators must agree because the thread was moved to East Coast Departures.

In any event, your hotel is in NJ, not NY, so knowing where there are COVID-19 hot spots in NY wouldn't be of much use. The hotel is in Bergen County, and there have been a few cases in that county, so if that concerns you then don't stay there. 

post move makes sense.. thanks for explaining. 

I would be looking at hotels about an hour from NYC along Route I80.  There are a number of name brand hotels in the $100 range in the Parsipanny and Mt Olive/ Rockaway area for your Sat Mar 14 date.  I think are looking at a good alternative strategy which might not even cost you as much as $250 extra and certainly will limit your exposure to the much more congested NYC area.

8 hours ago, Little Hickory Stump said:

Because your questions are not specific to cruising on NCL, any more than they are to cruising on RCI, or Celebrity, or Holland America.  They are about where to park for a cruise in NY, where to stay when driving in, etc.  Those questions have nothing to do with the cruise line on which you are sailing.   The dedicated  Ports of Call forums exist specifically for these kinds of discussions, and the cruise line forums would be overwhelmed with them otherwise.  And you'll get feedback in those forums from local experts and others who have a lot of experience in those ports.   The East Coast Departures forum in particular has a number of regulars who routinely help other cruisers with questions such as yours, and they are already responding to you here in that forum.   

17 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Because your questions are not specific to cruising on NCL, any more than they are to cruising on RCI, or Celebrity, or Holland America.  They are about where to park for a cruise in NY, where to stay when driving in, etc.  Those questions have nothing to do with the cruise line on which you are sailing.   The dedicated  Ports of Call forums exist specifically for these kinds of discussions, and the cruise line forums would be overwhelmed with them otherwise.  And you'll get feedback in those forums from local experts and others who have a lot of experience in those ports.   The East Coast Departures forum in particular has a number of regulars who routinely help other cruisers with questions such as yours, and they are already responding to you here in that forum.   

Got it. Thanks for your help pointing me in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 138east said:

I would be looking at hotels about an hour from NYC along Route I80.  There are a number of name brand hotels in the $100 range in the Parsipanny and Mt Olive/ Rockaway area for your Sat Mar 14 date.  I think are looking at a good alternative strategy which might not even cost you as much as $250 extra and certainly will limit your exposure to the much more congested NYC area.

Thank you! If we decide to still go on the cruise this is what we will probably do.