Age 70+ passengers need a doctors note to sail now (in the US)

alyssamma

MSC does not want older people on their ship unless they are in tip top shape.  MSC telephone center sold me me, a $2,100.00 package, knowing that I was 76 and rode a scooter, and when I got on board I was told that I should not be on their ship because I was too old and disabled to cruise the Caribbean.  They do not have shore excursions of the easy kind. Buyer beware of MSC Cruises.

1 hour ago, BucketListFun said:

MSC does not want older people on their ship unless they are in tip top shape.  MSC telephone center sold me me, a $2,100.00 package, knowing that I was 76 and rode a scooter, and when I got on board I was told that I should not be on their ship because I was too old and disabled to cruise the Caribbean.  They do not have shore excursions of the easy kind. Buyer beware of MSC Cruises.

Who told you that ??? They actually said that to your face ?

Edited by niko40

18 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Have MSC actually implemented this yet, anyone received anything? NCL are sending out forms to be completed by doctors and the policy starts at the weekend.

Really i thought this was only at the proposal stage for us based cruises, i didn't realise it had been passed. 

They are moving fast

15 minutes ago, niko40 said:

Really i thought this was only at the proposal stage for us based cruises, i didn't realise it had been passed. 

They are moving fast

Yes, there is a big thread on the NCL board, people are having trouble getting medical practitioners (in US) to even sign the form due to liability issues. I think Doctors outside the US might be more willing to sign the forms, I could not see issues in the UK.

The email from NCL is in post #1 of this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2741121-new-requirement-if-you-or-somebody-you-are-traveling-with-is-70-or-over/

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Have MSC actually implemented this yet, anyone received anything? NCL are sending out forms to be completed by doctors and the policy starts at the weekend.

YES, it is now live on MSC’s web site ban takes effect Saturday 14th.  

UPDATE: MARCH 12, 2020 - 9:00 AM EST

URGENT – NEW RESTRICTIONS FOR EMBARKATION IN MIAMI ADDED BELOW AND MORE 

We want to reassure you that everyone’s health and safety on our ships is our top priority and we can confirm there have been no cases of coronavirus on board any of our ships. 

Guests embarking on a cruise are requested to take the following into account: 

We are denying boarding to anyone from high-risk areas: 

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Iran, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam, South Korea, Macau, or Italy in the past 14 days (this includes transit flights in the aforementioned geographies) will be denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such guests’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a cabin);
  • PLEASE NOTE: Travelers choosing to travel with their Italian passport but residing elsewhere must show official proof of residency. Residency must not be in one of the above countries. Travel history must also show that travelers did not come through one of those territories during the past 14 days; 
  • For the Caribbean area only. Japan is considered a high risk area by local authorities. Therefore, anyone who has travelled to, from or through Japan in the past 14 days (this includes transit flights) will not be allowed on board of the ships (currently MSC Meraviglia, MSC Divina, MSC Armonia, MSC Preziosa and MSC Seaside
  • For all ships embarking in Miami, we are further elevating our health measures, in line with the recommendation of the Cruise Line Association and the USA Government.
  • Starting from Saturday, March 14, 2020, We will deny embarkation for:
  •  
    • All guests with severe chronic medical condition (heart disease, diabetes, lung disease) as specified by the U.S. CDC
    • All guests 70 years of age or older at embarkation date or who turn 70 within the duration of  the cruise, unless provided written verification from their qualified treating physician certifying no severe chronic medical conditions and otherwise fit for the cruise
    • We started thermal temperature check on all Ports and all Gangway
    • We started weekly health screening for all crew membersImportant for European guests bound to the USA:
  • Like 1

Sailed on the MSC Armonia from Miami on March 2, 2020.  Ports: Montego Bay, Jamaica; Georgetown, Grand Cayman; Costa Maya, Mexico; Ocean Caye, Bahamas.  Returned to Miami March 9, 2020.  Yes they had easy tours listed but did not book enough people to cover the cost associated with the tour so cancelled the tours.  I was not even allowed to get off the ship in Georgetown because it was a tender and I would inconvenience the other passengers.  I promised I would not get off the bus if they would just let me go ashore and they would not let me go. The sales department knew I was handicapped because I had to fill out a special needs form for my scooter.  I really wanted to go to Georgetown.  I was taken in by their TV ads.  Should have stayed with lines I have a history with.  As a solo traveler I feel safer booking shore excursions through the ship rather than getting off and looking for a tour.  My anger has turned to depression now, so it is my fault for getting old and arthritic.

• Like 2