Celebrity Summit - February 29, 2020 and COVID-19

hvbaskey

We were on the same Summit cruise. My hubby is now being treated for an upper respiratory infection but they didn’t want to test him either. Told us to self isolate. We have phoned our local health unit to report but have not heard back yet.  I really think celebrity cruise line Needs to reach out to us but maybe they are not aware. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hvbaskey said:

There are now 5 cases from Summit.  The couple from Region of Waterloo, one from the Region of Peel, and now the couple from Owen Sound.

If you have any hint of a wheeze, please call again, and take care.

So far, all the testing / confirmed cases are from Canada.  I wonder how much under reporting from the Summit is going on?  With 5 confirmed positive tests so far - all from the Summit, I would expect at the very least some communication from Celebrity.

Someone needs to take this information and post it on twitter and tag Celebrity and various news organizations like New York Times, etc. Keep posting it every couple hours until someone picks it up and investigates. (I don’t have a Twitter account)

• Thanks 1

I honestly think the government health agencies need to be more transparent.  If there have been confirmed cases as the is from celebrity summit then all guests experiencing any kind of symptoms should be getting tested.  
I hope you and your husband are doing well.  Where are you located?  We are in London Ontario 

14 minutes ago, habby09 said:

We were on the same Summit cruise. My hubby is now being treated for an upper respiratory infection but they didn’t want to test him either. Told us to self isolate. We have phoned our local health unit to report but have not heard back yet.  I really think celebrity cruise line Needs to reach out to us but maybe they are not aware. 

Have you contacted Celebrity to advise them about your husbands upper respiratory infection? 

3 minutes ago, S86 said:

There is a shortage of tests. If you were on a cruise especially with a cruise with known cases you should be perceived as having covid. 

What kind of tests do they perform? I am not sure that you can recognize the virus with the modern days test.. unless you have been infected for more than 14 days. Moreover, people comming on board may not even know that they are infected. And then they say that it was someone else who spread the disease. In any case, the right thing to do in this situation would be either staying at home or just taking a risk without blaming anyone else but yourself. 

9 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Someone needs to take this information and post it on twitter and tag Celebrity and various news organizations like New York Times, etc. Keep posting it every couple hours until someone picks it up and investigates. (I don’t have a Twitter account)

I’ve tagged Celebrity for 2 days on Twitter .... = Crickets

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

What kind of tests do they perform? I am not sure that you can recognize the virus with the modern days test.. unless you have been infected for more than 14 days. Moreover, people comming on board may not even know that they are infected. And then they say that it was someone else who spread the disease. In any case, the right thing to do in this situation would be either staying at home or just taking a risk without blaming anyone else but yourself. 

There is a “specific test” for COVID-19 that can identify it with or without symptoms.  If you have all the symptoms here in Ontario, a home inspection will be arranged for you to have the test (they are asking individuals not to come to hospital or clinics, but be tested at home).

• Like 1

We are located in port hope. The summit ship left San Juan Feb 29, not March 1st, which has created lots of confusion because people see march 1st departure and think.... “oh that doesn’t effect me. “ So the dates on any correspondence needs to have correct dates. Celebrity summit, feb29-march 7 from San Juan. Thanks 

50 minutes ago, habby09 said:

celebrity cruise line Needs to reach out to us but maybe they are not aware

Someone on the Silhouette asked the Hotel Director when disembarking and they said they heard rumours in media, but nothing confirmed.   I am sure they are aware.

2 hours ago, Briguy071 said:

interesting.  My wife & I were on that Summit cruise and went I told our london health unit they were not interested in testing us which is in my opinion is  very irresponsible.  I wish somebody would contact us to get tested since we have been exhibiting mild flu symptoms since last week 

Can you contact the Region of Waterloo Public Health Unit (that has confirmed cases from the Summit) and express you are not well, want to be tested, and London is doing squat?

6 minutes ago, Briguy071 said:

Maybe the person who started this thread could edit the dates. It was definitely Feb29-March 7

I sent a message to cruise critic asking IF the date can be changed to Feb 29th sailing.   Not sure if it can be done, or not.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Briguy071 said:

interesting.  My wife & I were on that Summit cruise and went I told our london health unit they were not interested in testing us which is in my opinion is  very irresponsible.  I wish somebody would contact us to get tested since we have been exhibiting mild flu symptoms since last week 

Due to the limited capacity to test people, unless you are symptomatic, no health unit is going to test you. The instructions from the Ottawa assessment centre, listed below, are typical.

You should come to the Assessment Centre, not the Emergency Department, if:

• You have a new or worsening cough and/or fever, and
  • In the past 14 days have either travelled outside of Canada or been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.

• Thanks 1

• CCHelp changed the title to Celebrity Summit - February 29, 2020 and COVID-19
15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You should come to the Assessment Centre, not the Emergency Department, if:

• You have a new or worsening cough and/or fever, and
  • In the past 14 days have either travelled outside of Canada or been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.

59 minutes ago, Briguy071 said:

There are probably many people like ourselves that haven’t been counted in the Ontario numbers since we can’t get tested 

There are many assessment locations in Ontario.  DW and I went to one in Ottawa last evening, Brewer Park, no waiting.  We were on the Feb. 29 Summit,  and did make use of the sanitizer in and out of dining rooms among other things.  We are our own first line of defence.

DW had some symptoms and was swabbed tested, results in 3 - 4 days.  (In her situation the symptoms are normal ongoing ones she has had for years, on and off.). She is under 70 and has self-quarantined since returning home.

I on the other hand was asked why I was there as I already knew I did not qualify for assessment.  As Fouremco pointed out the criteria for assessment, I did not qualify due to lack of symptoms.

I am pleased that the local health authorities have ramped up so quickly and kept the process away from hospitals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hvbaskey said:

I sent a message to cruise critic asking IF the date can be changed to Feb 29th sailing.   Not sure if it can be done, or not.

As many of you may have noticed by now - the message thread name has been updated to reflect the correct sail date of the Summit in question.   Thank you to our awesome Cruise Critic Community Host!

• Like 1

News just released here (Prince Edward Island, Canada) that our first reported case of COVID-19 was a female passenger who sailed on Summit.  She is reported to be in self isolation at home.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

10 minutes ago, mawtja said:

Have any Americans tested positive? I was on the Summit 2/29 - 3/07. 

It's nearly impossible to get tested here in the US today.  Hopefully that changes soon.  😞

• Like 1