Please weigh in on marital discussion re HAL’s Platinum Protection Plan

sue1898

Our final payment with HAL’s Platinum Plan Included is set to be charged to our credit card in one week. My understanding is that once you pay the fee for the Plan, no matter what you don’t get it back. After reading to him that HAL is now extending their new cancellation policy to cruises leaving thru July 31 (that included us), husband is sure that should HAL cancel our cruise to Alaska and give us a FCC for it that they would also roll over the insurance to that future cruise. I don’t believe that is the case. Opinions?

5 minutes ago, sue1898 said:

My understanding is that once you pay the fee for the Plan, no matter what you don’t get it back. After reading to him that HAL is now extending their new cancellation policy to cruises leaving thru July 31

Is the 7-31 date for Platinum or did they extend the 3-31 date somewhere for non insured travelers?

This was posted on HAL’s Facebook page an hour ago:

In order to give travelers greater peace of mind surrounding their upcoming vacation plans, Holland America Line is extending our Short Term Cancel Policy for cruises or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys departing through July 31, 2020 (previously only through May 31 departures). Get full details here >> http://*****/2Q84aGP

Okay I found it

Not sure if it applies to me as I purchased last year

At Holland America Line the health and safety of our guests is of the highest priority.

In order to give travelers greater peace of mind surrounding their upcoming vacation plans, Holland America Line is extending our Short Term Cancel Policy for cruises or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys departing through July 31, 2020 (previously only through May 31 departures).

With the extended date to July 31, guests who booked departures April 1, 2020, through July 31, 2020, under the Book with Confidence program will now be covered under the Short Term Cancel Policy instead.

Cancellations will need to be finalized 48 hours in advance (previously the policy stated 72 hours in advance).

Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of the paid fare, less the cost of Cancellation Protection Plan (Standard or Platinum), which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be booked by Dec. 31, 2020.

For those who choose to keep their cruise plans on departures through May 31, 2020, an Onboard Spending Credit of US$200 per stateroom/US$100 per person for voyages 7 days or longer and US$100 per stateroom/US$50 per person for voyages 6 days or less will be automatically applied to their shipboard account as a thank you.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. This “Compassion Policy” offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

For existing bookings departing August 1, 2020 and beyond, guests are still able to cancel within their standard cancellation window.

For new bookings on departures August 1 through October 15, 2020, please use the Book with Confidence Program which allows cancellation for any reason at least 30 days prior to departure to receive a Future Cruise Credit.

The above programs do not apply to charters.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/extension-of-short-term-changes-to-cancellation-policy-to-july-31-2020/?linkId=84229252&fbclid=IwAR0y0zR4x_rGfODL5YvpCNzFAsQMKZhM-C-qnqPH0cijBIYRnT5ddoGoIbs

10 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Is the 7-31 date for Platinum or did they extend the 3-31 date somewhere for non insured travelers?

I would suggest you try to get an answer from them in writing before you buy the plan. I just went through a cancellation as part of their policy announced last week. My T.A. was on the phone with HAL and specifically told me that my PPP purchase would be reimbursed by FCCs, even though I invoked the Plan's coverage for the 90% reimbursement of "non-refundable" penalty .I have now read on these boards that several others have been told the cost of the Plan is not refundable if you invoke the Plan's coverage. I have not yet received anything in writing from HAL and  FCCs do not appear on my account. 

Edited by Former Non-cruiser
punctuation
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Former Non-cruiser said:

I would suggest you try to get an answer from them in writing before you buy the plan. I just went through a cancellation as part of their policy announced last week. My T.A. was on the phone with HAL and specifically told me that my PPP purchase would be reimbursed by FCCs, even though I invoked the Plan's coverage for the 90% reimbursement of "non-refundable" penalty .I have now read on these boards that several others have been told the cost of the Plan is not refundable if you invoke the Plan's coverage. I have not yet received anything in writing from HAL and  FCCs do not appear on my account. 

My cruise is 100% paid and past final date, Saturday is lose deposit day and March 31 is the FCC at 50% and 50% cash back date. I don't have insurance policy, I do have CSR  credit card insurance and 1M travel and repatriation medical.

Now that I read it more carefully its for recent bookings, they are covered under the new short term policy instead of the cruise with confidence policy.

I can now wait until I see my doctor in April and see what he says. I am going to have a procedure in June or July. I don't have an issue waiting and getting a FCC, I will try and book the same trip in September or do it next May if I can go. I already have a Princess cruise booked for September.

Edited by AlanF65

We cancelled our March 22nd 14-night cruise on the Volendam this past Monday and had the Platinum Protection Plan.  We only booked the cruise about a month ago, so full payment was due at the time of purchase.  We I contacted our PCC for information/cancellation, and the way it worked out was 90% cash refund to the credit card and the remaining 10% of the cruise fare plus the $99 insurance cost will be received as an FCC.  The cash refund was on my credit card within 2 days and they said the FCC would take 10 - 14 days to process.  We'll have to wait and see if the full amount, including the insurance cost, is received with the FCC.

I know everyone's situation is different but this is how it worked for us.

Our Platinum Insurance for the two of us was around $1,600. We used this (lost it) when we cancelled the 44 day cruise on Wednesday night, in order to get the 10%. If we had waited until HAL had cancelled, I don’t know if we would have lost (used) it.

DD

Slightly off-topic but I never buy insurance from the issuing carrier.  I want a third party in my court.   I use my chase credit cards and sure it is not cancel for any reason but it handles the rest.    We have two cards should the cost be above $10k

5 hours ago, DoggyDaddy said:

Our Platinum Insurance for the two of us was around $1,600. We used this (lost it) when we cancelled the 44 day cruise on Wednesday night, in order to get the 10%. If we had waited until HAL had cancelled, I don’t know if we would have lost (used) it.

DD

We did not cancel , and HAL did it for us today!  I believe they will be refunding our Cancellation Plan to our credit card (I think it is just the Standard policy, not the Platinum, but it is being refunded).