Pride of America and Star departures canceled this weekend.

teCh0010

I'm hearing that Pride of America in Hawaii and Star from south america to Orland departures this weekend are canceled. 

Not sure if this is the start of a mass shutdown, or being forced on specific cruises by local ports. 

In my opinion, this is exactly why the cruise industry should be canceling cruises in the upcoming weeks. It's too uncertain on if cruises will be able to run logistically. I feel for everyone who has already flown to Hawaii and South America to take their cruise. Cancelling the day before a remote cruise is awful customer service. 

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Wow. That’s a surprise. I was taking to friends in Honolulu last night and there is not the mass hysteria that you see in other parts of the country. 

No surprise here, folks I've spoken to in Hawai'i are seeing the same cancelled events just like back in the mainland.

Farmer's markets closed

St. Patrick's day celebrations canceled.

As for mass hysteria, I've not seen any in any parts of the county. I've seen prudent responses to a global crisis, and I've seen folks so deep in denial it is almost unbelievable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teCh0010 said:

I'm hearing that Pride of America in Hawaii and Star from south america to Orland departures this weekend are canceled. 

Not sure if this is the start of a mass shutdown, or being forced on specific cruises by local ports. 

Where did you see the cancellation of the Star? My dad is supposed to be sailing on her when she reaches Port Canaveral. 

How far in advance were the cruises cancelled - 48 hrs or more?  If not, then they’re just playing a game of chicken as a good number of people probably cancelled and took the 100% FCC.  If they had waiting (or NCI cancelled earlier) they could have gotten a larger credit or their money back. 

11 minutes ago, kmchisholm said:

How far in advance were the cruises cancelled - 48 hrs or more?  If not, then they’re just playing a game of chicken as a good number of people probably cancelled and took the 100% FCC.  If they had waiting (or NCI cancelled earlier) they could have gotten a larger credit or their money back. 

Looking at the letter it is only one day noticed. It is dated for today with tomorrow as the departure. I'd imagine almost everyone that is on that cruise is already in Hawaii or currently on a plane there.

20 minutes ago, kmchisholm said:

Bingo. Every cruise will get cancelled on an individual basis after the 48 hour window passes.  Less refunds. More money being held

Just now, parmus said:

Bingo. Every cruise will get cancelled on an individual basis after the 48 hour window passes.  Less refunds. More money being held

yep I agree with this, UNLESS there is a big incident that forces them to react more aggressively. 

Just now, aubreyc1988 said:

yep I agree with this, UNLESS there is a big incident that forces them to react more aggressively. 

Do you think the declaration of a national emergency is declared and other ports closing will?  Wondering when Bahamas and other ports will shut down to protect their people.....

Just now, kmchisholm said:

Do you think the declaration of a national emergency is declared and other ports closing will?  Wondering when Bahamas and other ports will shut down to protect their people.....

Not sure, not an expert. If most of the ports refuse cruiseships, I think they will postpone sailings, but the financially sound thing to do is to wait it out and keep it "Fluid" as NCL keeps saying, situations can change very quickly, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

So since this announcement came after the 48 hour window to cancel for FCC it really only applies to people who were still willing to risk going.  Less refunds out of their pockets.  My guess every single cruise will be cancelled AFTER the 48 hour window expires. Sucks for me because I will cancel next At the 48 hour window and only get FCC and I’m sure THEY will cancel our cruise on that Friday—no refund for me. I’m also sailing Mexico and they don’t seem to have the risks at the ports yet so why would NCL cancel until absolutely necessary

I cancelled the POA this week in order to get the FCC and maybe not lose everything we paid. We were set to fly out yesterday. I feel for those PAX that rolled the dice and continued on with the cruise. They are now either on HNL or in the air for tomorrow’s cruise 😞. But, NCL should have cancelled the cruise directly instead of leaving the cruise for this weekend (tomorrow)! What a big disruption to the PAX now in HNL. They will incur extra costs with hotel, changing airfare, etc. Maybe some of them can make lemonade and enjoy a land-based week in Oahu! What a mess 😞

Just now, parmus said:

My guess every single cruise will be cancelled AFTER the 48 hour window expires. 

If they start doing that, people will catch on in a hurry. If I “know” that NCL is going to cancel my cruise less than 48 hours out, and therefore will offer me a cash refund or 150% FCC, why would I cancel ahead of time for only 100% FCC??

2 minutes ago, kaprin02 said:

If they start doing that, people will catch on in a hurry. If I “know” that NCL is going to cancel my cruise less than 48 hours out, and therefore will offer me a cash refund or 150% FCC, why would I cancel ahead of time for only 100% FCC??

Agreed everyone should be watching this closely, but it’s the unknown.  Sure I’ll watch it to see.  Today’s cancellations could be very telling.  I’ve got this weekend to spin the wheel of risk and see what happens with this Sunday’s sailing of the joy. 

51 minutes ago, HEATH3913 said:

150% FCC or refund looks good though.

Under current circumstances, maybe.  In the past if they cancelled you usually got a refund plus a future credit.  Here it looks like just a refund.  But in the midst of everything, understandable.

12 minutes ago, parmus said:

So since this announcement came after the 48 hour window to cancel for FCC it really only applies to people who were still willing to risk going.  Less refunds out of their pockets.  My guess every single cruise will be cancelled AFTER the 48 hour window expires. Sucks for me because I will cancel next At the 48 hour window and only get FCC and I’m sure THEY will cancel our cruise on that Friday—no refund for me. I’m also sailing Mexico and they don’t seem to have the risks at the ports yet so why would NCL cancel until absolutely necessary

And it is after the 48 hours required for the CFAR provision in my insurance. Very sad, but not unexpected from NCL. My cruise hasn't hit my credit card yet. Right now, I am just going to keep monitoring this behavior. If it becomes a pattern, I will just cancel and have Visa do a charge back to NCL for the price of my cruise. Not interested in getting into a pissing match with NCL about future certificates, insurance, etc.. Travel to all ports has been discouraged now by the government, CDC, and WHO since Monday. If they didn't cancel then, why cancel now? I just want a refund for my cruise. I don't want FCC or FCC plus a refund.

Edited by blcruising

We were scheduled to sail on the March 20 cruise from Tahiti.  Two days ago the French Polynesia government shut down their islands to cruise ships. I found out on our roll call. NCL notified our travel agent today our cruise was canceled. We have a call into our TA to cancel for full refund. Haven't heard back from him yet. We were offered full refund or FCC plus 25% FCC. We were scheduled to fly to Tahiti on the 17th. 

If CC knew 2 days ago I'm  sure NCL did. It has been difficult changing everything 4 days out. We have Delta flights and can't call until 72 hrs prior (if you can get through). I feel sorry for everyone who leaves tomorrow and was just notified.

The Feb 28 cruise that we were supposed to board could not stop in Tahiti and had to go to the nearest port which was Fiji. Passengers have been in the dark about what is happening with their cruise shortened by a week. They are receiving updates through CC.

2 hours ago, teCh0010 said:

I've seen about Pride of America but can't find any reports about the Star to Orlando for this weekend.