Carnival Over 70 Fit To Sail Letter ?

48traveler

2 hours ago, dgreeney said:

I just booked a cruise and paid by cc.  I didn't see anything in the booking screens regarding a doctor's letter.  I'm over 70 and have type 2 diabetes.  Will I lose my payment?

We are the same , no diabetes, but over 70  I booked today after our May 11th  was cancelled and the Carnival rep said we should not have to worry about the letter

I mentioned the FIT TO SAIL letter to my doctor, and showed an example of the Royal Carib form letter.  He said He could not sign a letter in this form guaranteeing "good health" due to liability. I called another Doctor and got the same response.  This is going to be a major issue if it keeps up.

I agree, but it's at the Dr's discretion....not sure they want to sign any paperwork . I think it becomes an issue when the CDC advises against cruise travel, and you are asking a Dr. to put his/her name on a document allowing you to cruise.

As a psychiatric ARNP I had this question frequently. Sometimes I would but other times not. If the person was unreliable and needed daily meds I'd refuse to sign. If they were on meds but not for hallucinations or something as bad I'd have to explain to the patient my hesitation. Most often I signed the letter.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 1:27 PM, coevan said:

There is no where in the letter guaranteeing "good health". It asks if the person, in his or her opinion, fit to sail. How would the Dr. be liable and for what offense?

In this day and age where so many people are sue happy, I can see where a doctor would be leery of signing one of those.  Doctor says you are fit to sail, then you have a heart attack or something and  come back on the doctor because he/she said you were fit to sail.  

Edited by RWolver672