Self Quarantine. Good idea?

2+2

1 minute ago, Greenpea2 said:

On my recent Bliss cruise, there were plenty of kids coughing and sneezing. Kind of surprised they got through check-in but I suppose if no fever, it's not an infection. Kids and adults get colds, especially this time of year. No, not particularly cool to subject others to cold germs, but it happens all the time. I was not concerned about the virus while on board. I washed my hands religiously, did my best to not touch my face. I got off 2 weeks tomorrow and am fine. I work from home so it would be easy to consider myself "self-quarantined." However, as another poster pointed out, there are things outside one's home that need to be done. Life does have to (and does) go on to a certain degree. Groceries need to be gotten, gas tanks need filling, small errands need to be done. So no, I did not self-quarantine. And I don't think that is selfish. I would not quarantine myself unless I felt symptoms or any other reason to fear having been exposed to it. 

As with differing political views, I believe it is a mistake to intimate or say that people who disagree with what you feel is right selfish. Or ignorant. Or whatever. Most of us DO have moral compasses. Many of us can't just self-quarantine after a plane ride, cruise, or going to the grocery store of after having attended a wedding. We work. We need to pay rent/mortgage, pay bills, we have kids, or whatever. If the CDC tells me to do it, I would. Otherwise, no.    

Agree about going on with your life. We have too.  However, coming off a cruise is a different dynamic.  Cruise Crud = what these days?  No one knows.  Being diligent after coming off a cruise and taking precautionary measures is a quality which I find exemplary.

I still go to the grocery store and get gas.  No worries.  

JMO 🙂

1 minute ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Agree about going on with your life. We have too.  However, coming off a cruise is a different dynamic.  Cruise Crud = what these days?  No one knows.  Being diligent after coming off a cruise and taking precautionary measures is a quality which I find exemplary.

I still go to the grocery store and get gas.  No worries.  

JMO 🙂

Yes, agree. But precautionary measures of self-quarantining for 2 weeks when there was no sign (or word since then) that anyone onboard was sick with it? Just not realistic. 

We disembarked the Epic on March 8 in SAN Juan. Nice cruise with a fantastic itinerary. My wife and I decided to self quarantine ourselves when we got home. Why? We felt it was simply the right thing to do as we had visited six countries and travelled through five airports.  We’re retired so it’s not that big of a thing, but I can’t beleive how many people are resisting a little self sacrifice. Italy ignored the initial wave of confirmed cases with an ill conceived sense of self bravado. Where are they now. I know it’s human nature to think bad things only happen to other people, but when health officials unanimously underscore the serious of this pandemic, I think it’s prudent to follow their recommendations and act accordingly. 

• Like 15

3 hours ago, 2+2 said:

After completing our Joy cruise on March 1st, we felt that after having been in close contact with cruise passengers and especially airport passengers, that once we got home we would self guarantine.  We felt is was the right thing to do, and wondered how many other cruise passengers are doing the same. It is so hard to stay away from immediate family. But like all the decisions being made such as the sports cancellations, hopefully we look back and say we did not overreact.

How many  have self guarantined after their recent cruise? How many think it is a good idea?

And, I noticed at the end of the Joy cruise, that it seemed many had a cough. I blamed it on all the disenfectant. Did others on the Joy notice the same.

In the part of Canada I am based in, the advise from the local health authority would be to self quarantine for 14 days.  They are recommending that for anyone that has done foreign travel (including the US) or a cruise.   

• Like 8

I only started this post because I felt I wasn't the only one that recently returned from a cruise and had that feeling that the odds of coming in contact with someone that has Corona virus was pretty high. The feeling was deep down and enough to prevent me from visiting immediate family just in case. Then I thought about the general population. So we have stayed home.  I was curious about how  others that returned from a cruise felt. What there deep down feeling was. Even while on the cruise it was always in the back of your mind.  

I thank you for your opinions. All of them. 

• Like 1