Are Alaska cruises cancelled?

camarowesley

1 hour ago, webzila said:

Looks like its official based on Carnival update from today. Alaska cancelled through July.

https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates

• All ships sailing between March 14 and May 11
  • All Alaska sailings through and including June 30, 2020
  • All San Francisco sailings through 2020
  • All Carnival Radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020
  • All Carnival Legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020

Yes, I just received my email from them so I am very relieved.  Thanks for sending this, however! 🙂

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Makes me wonder if Carnival will ever sail out of San Fran again, but ever is a long time.  

Sailing into San Francisco on the Star Princess was such an awesome experience. Hopefully Carnival revisits this port of departure at a later time.

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Sailing into San Francisco on the Star Princess was such an awesome experience. Hopefully Carnival revisits this port of departure at a later time.

It’s on my bucket list, I agree

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

There are San Fran departures up for 2021

• Like 1

My cruise was cancelled also.  Alaskan out of San Francisco.  All cruises out of San Francisco are cancelled thru 2020 per Carnival website.  Is the 100% FCC from what you have paid or what the cruise was booked for?

The Alaskan cruise was booked after our transatlantic cruise on the Mardi Gras was cancelled.  Can we use the 25% FCC from that cruise along with the 100% from Alaskan cruise?

Also, is the OBC transferable from cancelled TA also?

Thanks

It is the Jones Act that is at the heart of the problem. The Jones Act states that a ship cannot leave a US port, go to US ports and return to a US port without stopping in a foreign country unless it is registered in the US. Canada is not allowing cruise ships (at least until July) therefore, ships cannot do Alaska. The only ship that could is NCL's Pride of America. Also, I am not sure SF or Seattle is allowing cruise ships this summer. I do not think cruising to Alaska will happen anytime soon.

Edited by LJN22
grammar

4 minutes ago, LJN22 said:

It is the Jones Act that is at the heart of the problem. The Jones Act states that a ship cannot leave a US port go to US ports and return to a US port without stopping in a foreign country unless it is registered in the US. Canada is not allowing cruise ships (at least until July) therefore, ships cannot do Alaska. The only ship that could is NCL's Pride of America. Also, I am not sure SF or Seattle is allowing cruise ships this summer. I do not think cruising to Alaska will happen anytime soon.

Not Jones Act but the PVSA, but same sentiment.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, harleydudesat said:

My cruise was cancelled also.  Alaskan out of San Francisco.  All cruises out of San Francisco are cancelled thru 2020 per Carnival website.  Is the 100% FCC from what you have paid or what the cruise was booked for?

That brings up a could point regarding these FCCs.

What happens if your cruise is cancelled but not yet paid in full? Is it 125% of the cruise fare? 125% of the minimum deposit? 125% of total monies paid towards the booking?

I believe these Alaska and Europe bookings that were officially cancelled today are in the first batch of involuntarily cancelled bookings that were before final payment.

Edited by xDisconnections

What happens if your cruise is cancelled but not yet paid in full? Is it 125% of the cruise fare? 125% of the minimum deposit? 125% of total monies paid towards the booking?

I believe these Alaska and Europe bookings that were officially cancelled today are in the first batch of involuntarily cancelled bookings that were before final payment.

Our August Alaska from SF was cancelled. We have only paid the deposit so far. If we choose the FCC plus OBC , they will put the deposit amount onto a future cruise and will add the $600 OBC. Or that is my understanding

Sent from my iPad using Forums

15 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

My Alaska cruise had already been paid in full since early January, so I don't think they were necessarily the only ones cancelled.

4 hours ago, stvntra said:

My Alaska cruise had already been paid in full since early January, so I don't think they were necessarily the only ones cancelled.

Did you make your final payment early? January seems too soon for the final payment date on a summer cruise. It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at Carnival’s billing timeline but other cruise lines are usually 75 days ahead of time.

Even if you’re paid in full, the timeline still applied for cancellation.

22 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Did you make your final payment early? January seems too soon for the final payment date on a summer cruise. It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at Carnival’s billing timeline but other cruise lines are usually 75 days ahead of time.

Even if you’re paid in full, the timeline still applied for cancellation.

Yes, I made my final payment in full early January.  Because Carnival is the one who cancelled the cruise itself, not me - I was offered 100% refund in full and that is the option I chose. 

1 hour ago, stvntra said:

Yes, I made my final payment in full early January.  Because Carnival is the one who cancelled the cruise itself, not me - I was offered 100% refund in full and that is the option I chose. 

If it was before the final payment date, you could have cancelled for a full refund regardless if you weren’t on Early Saver — and even then, it would have just been a small administration fee to move your deposit.

5 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

If it was before the final payment date, you could have cancelled for a full refund regardless if you weren’t on Early Saver — and even then, it would have just been a small administration fee to move your deposit.

Well, we weren't looking to cancel the cruise to begin with, but obviously when this all hit, we didn't have a choice.  I was told if I cancelled it myself, then I would be charged the deposit amount (again this was since it was already paid in full), and it would be put towards a future cruise, but we didn't want to do that.  Due to my husband and my work travel, we weren't sure if we would actually get to go on another cruise within the next year, so it was better for us to hold out and wait for them to cancel so that we DID get the entire amount back.  However, with that all being said, we will never pay in full before the final payment due date again, just for these kinds of issues.  We have cruised on Carnival for years now and have never had any issues, and the Coronavirus is not going to stop us from cruising again, or even for cruising on Carnival - it is clearly not their fault for all of this. 

• Like 1