Carnival can survive?

paulgraff

On 3/19/2020 at 7:48 AM, linbobky said:

Was the Pride of America built here in the U.S? It is flagged US.

Only her hull was built in the US, after NCL bought her, they got an exemption from congress to have the ship finished at Lloyd Werft in Germany. 

26 minutes ago, heffy2 said:

Only her hull was built in the US, after NCL bought her, they got an exemption from congress to have the ship finished at Lloyd Werft in Germany. 

And I would be interested to see what the calculation of US built content to foreign built content is for the POA.  Many ships built in the US are built from designs purchased by the US shipyard from an overseas shipyard.  Aker Philadelphia did this for a class of 16 tankers, buying the design from Hyundai shipbuilding in Korea.  Aker built the hull from US steel, but virtually everything else, all the machinery, all the piping, all the catwalks and stairs, and even some of the hull castings were built in Korea and shipped assembled to the yard in the US.  And all of these tankers are Jones Act compliant, meaning they are considered to be "built" in the US.  I don't remember what the exact content requirement is, but I think it is merely a "majority".

• Like 1

When I worked aboard I had a lot of friends in the Engine Dept, and they always complained about the plumbing and main sewer lines. It was my understanding that a lot of that was done in Mississippi and the Germans had a hard time retrofitting everything to work with the normal way they built ships at the yard. It also took some time for the international crew who came to us from the rest of the fleet to get used to her "quirks".

20 minutes ago, heffy2 said:

When I worked aboard I had a lot of friends in the Engine Dept, and they always complained about the plumbing and main sewer lines. It was my understanding that a lot of that was done in Mississippi and the Germans had a hard time retrofitting everything to work with the normal way they built ships at the yard. It also took some time for the international crew who came to us from the rest of the fleet to get used to her "quirks".

The ship's original owners, American Hawaiian Cruises, were going to outfit the ship with mostly US manufactured equipment and used ANSI standard (feet and inches) piping.  When the ship was completed in Germany, they switched over to metric piping, metric bolting, etc, which caused a lot of problems.  Most of the original equipment was also scrapped in favor of better, and more familiar European equipment, particularly in the hotel side.  The shipyard in the US, never having built a cruise ship was not familiar with vacuum toilet systems, and the abuse that passengers place on the system, hence the need for many, many cleanouts and disconnect points, and the access to get to those points.  Another problem came with the decision to lengthen the ship, which is always a difficult design problem, made more so by the conflicting standards (Imperial or metric).  The 800 lb gorilla in the room, however, was the 3 months she sat on the bottom of the river at the yard in Germany, before the insurance company would allow it to be raised, causing damage to all equipment in the engineering spaces, and renewal of all wiring below the I-95 deck.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The ship's original owners, American Hawaiian Cruises, were going to outfit the ship with mostly US manufactured equipment and used ANSI standard (feet and inches) piping.  When the ship was completed in Germany, they switched over to metric piping, metric bolting, etc, which caused a lot of problems.  Most of the original equipment was also scrapped in favor of better, and more familiar European equipment, particularly in the hotel side.  The shipyard in the US, never having built a cruise ship was not familiar with vacuum toilet systems, and the abuse that passengers place on the system, hence the need for many, many cleanouts and disconnect points, and the access to get to those points.  Another problem came with the decision to lengthen the ship, which is always a difficult design problem, made more so by the conflicting standards (Imperial or metric).  The 800 lb gorilla in the room, however, was the 3 months she sat on the bottom of the river at the yard in Germany, before the insurance company would allow it to be raised, causing damage to all equipment in the engineering spaces, and renewal of all wiring below the I-95 deck.

Amazing knowledge

• Like 1