Cruise ships used as hospitals

Cathygh

Carnival in the US, Silver Sea and Saga in the UK have offered their governments use of some of their ships as hospitals. I assume this is for people who need to be isolated but don't need ICU. Wouldn't it  be great if P&O could do this too?

Cathy

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

Carnival in the US, Silver Sea and Saga in the UK have offered their governments use of some of their ships as hospitals. I assume this is for people who need to be isolated but don't need ICU. Wouldn't it  be great if P&O could do this too?

Cathy

I don't think there's going to be any need for isolation pretty soon. Just hospital beds, doctors, nurses, ICU beds, ventilators and everything else that's been run down over the last few years.

We wouldn’t be talking about this unless a contagious virus caught out EVERY country in the world starting from China. The good thing is China looks like it is over the hill with few cases reported daily unless they have recently arrived from abroad.. China is the model..Steep curve..Flattening out..then decreasing. If you go on every countries stastics the curve is the same. The guarantees today given to my children have saved their homes ..their lives. Let’s Pull Together It’s going to get  lot worse. Not because of a political party...A little bug.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Apparently Princess cruises have offered their ships to the US government as temporary care facilities for non COVID-19 patients.

Majortom I think that's what I meant to say! It would be very handy to have a ship in Southampton used in this way. Our local hospitals must be feeling the strain already as we have the highest number of covid cases.

15 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Apparently Princess cruises have offered their ships to the US government as temporary care facilities for non COVID-19 patients.

Not for free I would add.

20 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Cathy

My understanding is that these would be available for non Covid19 hospital cases.

with virtually empty hotels maybe they would be better for non COVID-19 patients if for no other reason than you can't get a cruise ship near Birmingham etc. Ok for cruise ports if you can staff them and the ships have a galley while most hospitals bring their food in. When I was in hospital in Kent the meals came from Wales. The modern kitchen in the hospital was only for staff and visitors.