Originally opted for FCC, thinking I'm going to full refund

Hello,

My first RC cruise was scheduled for departure March 23. I originally opted for the FCC bc I had every intention of going on a cruise. However, I have heard of all the restrictions and special rules that Royal Caribbean has on using a FCC I am currently doubting my selection.

1. Your FCC does not apply to the deposit. So even though my cruise is paid in full, I have to pay $250 per person just to apply my already paid for cruise credits.... OK, maybe. Pay to reserve just bc their system works that way, but it gets refunded to CC once FCC is applied. Not thrilled, but OK. I could work with that.

THEN there are debates as to if your cruise credit is $1000 and the new cruise fare (not including taxes) is also $1000, you would then receive another FCC vs having the deposit money refunded to your CC. That is just wrong. In order to use the FCC there is no other option than to pay an additional $250 per person above what was paid for your cruise that was cancelled?!?!?

2. The dollar amounts of the FCC are applied to each individual person's new fare. NOT the cabin total. So passenger 1 has FCC $1000, new cruise fare is $900, passenger 2 has $500 FCC and new fare is $600, RCCL will then issue another FCC for any extra monies remaining on the credit to passenger 1 and then passenger 2 will have t pay $100 more. It will not be applied to the cabin total. This is 100% horrible business practices.

Please tell me I'm misunderstanding the way this works as it was explained to me on 4 different calls with phone reps. Royal Caribbean couldn't possibly treat their customers this badly???  I'm feeling very uneasy to even consider booking with them again. 😞

Well, I called and found out that they lied to me. I officially cancelled about an hour before the announcement was made. I called back and they said no problem, we can change your code. Well that was a lie. So now we just get the 100% FCC, no option to cancel.

Supposedly (take it with a grain of salt), they do refund the deposit amount if your FCC is enough to cover the cruise after taxes.

I couldn't be more unhappy with a company. Horrible service that they conveniently have no record of the 2nd call in their database. Just the first.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, surrocruiser said:

Well, I called and found out that they lied to me. I officially cancelled about an hour before the announcement was made. I called back and they said no problem, we can change your code. Well that was a lie. So now we just get the 100% FCC, no option to cancel.

Supposedly (take it with a grain of salt), they do refund the deposit amount if your FCC is enough to cover the cruise after taxes.

I couldn't be more unhappy with a company. Horrible service that they conveniently have no record of the 2nd call in their database. Just the first.

I feel your pain.

I just got off the phone with Royal & found out that since I accepted the FCC offer before their cancellation, we'll be getting the 100% instead of the 125%.

They get to run their business as they see fit, but from a customer service perspective it inspires no loyalty.  

Cash is king.   Take your money. Too uncertain now. Plus I cruise through a third party and get a minimum 25% cheaper than royals prices plus paid gratuities,plus obc,plus specialty dinners. I never book through royal.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, surrocruiser said:

I'm taking the fcc ... if they ever issue me one.

I rebooked solo so only 250 deposit for new booking 

My understanding is they will subtract the new taxes and port fees plus anything else I owe (less than $10) and refund the rest of my deposit.

Did the best I can. I do want to cruise again.

My beef is how much cruise prices have gone up. I got to where there were no cruises I could book for this year for the 125% fcc, the last one disappeared last Thursday.. that's when I decided to just book. Maybe I should have researched better. Boy the cruise before mine on jewel goes to Panama. Its 11 days, I got the 9 day following. Oh well .. i took non refundable deposit. 

But the rising prices on future cruises ... i dont know if i will book another soon. Not unless prices get better, or i do a quickie 4 or 5 day. I do like to cruise. 

I have a June cruise booked - NE/Canada and  that won't happen, but right now they haven't officially canceled it, so I just have to play the waiting game.  I also have a November cruise on Oasis booked so that is way too far off to worry about at this point.

I want my money back for the June cruise, not interested in a FCC  for that one.

23 hours ago, Dalebobw said:

I feel your pain.

I just got off the phone with Royal & found out that since I accepted the FCC offer before their cancellation, we'll be getting the 100% instead of the 125%.

They get to run their business as they see fit, but from a customer service perspective it inspires no loyalty.  

Why would it be anything different than your original agreement. You took the offer that if YOU cancelled, you get 100% FCC. I don’t see that RCCL did anything but proper business practice.  They offered you something, you accepted.  Case closed. 

M

• Like 1

I don’t believe that there will be any cruises until August.  Maybe.   I have a cruise at the end of May.  I have no doubt that RCCL knows that there will be any cruises until late summer. Maybe.   Maybe RCCL needs to go ahead and bite the bullet and cancel through June.  They won’t.  

26 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Why would it be anything different than your original agreement. You took the offer that if YOU cancelled, you get 100% FCC. I don’t see that RCCL did anything but proper business practice.  They offered you something, you accepted.  Case closed. 

M

First - I agree with you completely.  From a "contract" perspective, they offered, I accepted, case closed.

I said "They get to run their business as they see fit, but from a customer service perspective it inspires no loyalty. "

My comment was from a loyalty perspective.  People scheduled for the same cruise as we were received more options - refund or or a higher FCC.  I've seen Royal go over and above in difficult times before, and it would have inspired loyalty had they done it here.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:58 AM, rtazz17 said:

Cash is king.   Take your money. Too uncertain now. Plus I cruise through a third party and get a minimum 25% cheaper than royals prices plus paid gratuities,plus obc,plus specialty dinners. I never book through royal.

Would love to know who your third party is with all of those perks!!!

44 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

44 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

I was thinking the same thing too ...

I just called, was on hold for about 3 minutes, it took me less than 10 more to transfer my deposit from June 2020 Western Med to a December 2021 Southern Caribbean cruise. 

Royal aren't a cash cow for us to milk. I knew the terms when I booked and considering the financial concerns all businesses are facing I think they're being fair. It's all very well saying they know they'll be shut down for longer, but with staff being sent home in various countries they're insanely busy. Batching things makes sense, they can manage call volumes better this way. 

The poor woman I spoke to sound genuinely thrilled that I was being friendly. Actually, regardless of any of this, if you're calling, smile while you talk. You'll sound nicer and you might just improve a very stressful day for someone. 🙂

• Like 2

I'm wondering if I can get a refund for my 4/19/20 Freedom cruise (which I don't think will happen) because I am 72 and cannot get a doctor's note.  Royal won't allow boarding without it.  I can't use FCC because my doctor won't sign the required note.

1 hour ago, welovetahiti said:

I'm wondering if I can get a refund for my 4/19/20 Freedom cruise (which I don't think will happen) because I am 72 and cannot get a doctor's note.  Royal won't allow boarding without it.  I can't use FCC because my doctor won't sign the required note.

They've cancelled everything until may 11th, so you can apply for a 100% refund now.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:58 AM, rtazz17 said:

Tell us your source. Sounds fantastic!

7 hours ago, Dalebobw said:

First - I agree with you completely.  From a "contract" perspective, they offered, I accepted, case closed.

I said "They get to run their business as they see fit, but from a customer service perspective it inspires no loyalty. "

My comment was from a loyalty perspective.  People scheduled for the same cruise as we were received more options - refund or or a higher FCC.  I've seen Royal go over and above in difficult times before, and it would have inspired loyalty had they done it here.

Monday  morning quarterback.  They offered 100% refund in future cabin credit.    You had a choice to accept it or wait it out. 

Others had a few more days of uncertainty, or even travel expenses and therefore more options.   We heard our cruise was cancelled just 12 house  before we would  have left house for a long drive to Florida.  Many on our cruise didn't learn of the cancellation until they landed in Florida.   I was lucky to get in right  under the wire for cancellation of a pre-cruise hotel. 

m