Celebrity pricing strategy

adolfo2

On 3/21/2020 at 2:52 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Also remember, not everyone who gets a FCC will be able to go on the cruise due to life events.  My WAG is 5-10% of X's FCCs will go unused.

If FCC runs similarly to gift cards the number of unused value is between 8% to 10%. 

I just looked at several cruises by Celebrity in fall or early winter, going to several different areas of the world, prices appear to be very high.  Since Celebrity cancelled our cruise in May, we will be opting for the cash refund, allowing us to spend our vacation dollars with whatever cruise line we choose, or, pick a different type of vacation altogether.

We had a March 14 sailing that was canceled so I started looking for options to use my upcoming FCC.  We booked this trip about 1 year in advance and I had a lot of notes regarding pricing for this trip and other cruises that same week so I feel like I have a good knowledge of prices from last year.  When I look at those same ships for the week of March 20 next year (only looking at suite pricing so perks aren't factored) almost every suite from Sky to Penthouse is 25% more this year.  Some are 22, some 26, but most are 24.5 to 25.3% more.  Guess you'll need that 25% bonus FCC just to stay in the same cabin.  Add to that, now we still need to pay the deposit so we'll actually end up paying $5-900 more actual cash for this trip and some FCC will then go unclaimed, or we'll move up one level and end up paying even more just to use up all our credit.

Edited by garyl62

This discussion reminds me of a 14 day Mediterranean cruise. I booked 2 years early with 3 perks in a veranda at $2800. It increased steadily to $3500 until about 6 months out. Then dropped to about $2500 and $1400 as many cancelled with final payment.

The prices are asking prices.  TAs often have group space at 15% or so off and multiple perks.  Prices will move to what people are willing to pay.

As to pricing later this year?  May?  Anyone seriously think that will happen?  August?  Maybe, you have until May to cancel.

I have found the same thing. The same European cruise itinerary and date for a s1 sky suite is almost double from the price of our cruise this year. X may be forcing me to just cancel this years cruise and take the refund on our refundable deposit. Glad we choose not to take a non refundable deposit for a few hundred dollar savings. Flexibility turns out much better ie refund vs ffc.

We cancelled our June cruise on the Apex which was scheduled to leave on the 27th of June.  We got a better deal, but ended up with a non refundable deposit.  At the time, it didn't really worry me....this wasn't anything that entered my mind.  Up until Sunday when I cancelled, I had hope.  Now, I'm devastated  more than I can talk about.....however not knowing what will happen since my husband's job had sent out information on official and unofficial travel to Europe before everything really revved up, we made the choice to not take a chance.  $4500 was a little too much for Celebrity to be holding on to.  I'd love to make a cruise plan for next year-same itinerary because the price is what we started out with, amazingly enough.  My thought it that cruisers are going to be skittish for a bit if things do get back to normal, so I'm thinking the prices may change as the cruises get closer.  Italy, Monaco, France and Spain will be there.  To be honest, we might just go on foot and take the train.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, tallnthensome said:

Heck, my Apex Cruise way out in April 2022 is more than a thousand dollars more now with zero perks versus the four I got And at a grand less. 

Yeah, noticed my APEX cruises in October 2021 went up almost 10% within a day of them announcing another round of cancellations. And same - no perks vs. the 4 perks we have for much less. Guess they have to make it up somewhere...

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 6:14 AM, oceangoer2 said:

What are your thoughts re sailing in November...some are thinking this will last over a year?

I'm booked on a 14 night T/A in early November... only a 50/50 chance that will sail as scheduled. Hoping for 2021. 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:55 AM, TeeRick said:

Why worry about deals and prices at this point?  Let's see when cruise ships are allowed to sail again first.  And how full they are.  Then perhaps think about deals.  Wasting your time right now I think.

Completely agree... I won't even be LOOKING until November/December for cruises in April 2021... or later.

US deaths just hit 200/day... like Europe, we will see 600/day in a couple of weeks and even more by May. 

It's going to take MANY months for this to dampen out. Not just the cruise industry, but the entire world is going to have to completely re-adjust to a new reality.

Edited by teecee60

On 3/22/2020 at 2:55 PM, TeeRick said:

Why worry about deals and prices at this point?  Let's see when cruise ships are allowed to sail again first.  And how full they are.  Then perhaps think about deals.  Wasting your time right now I think.

Agree 100%. We have cruises in May 2021 Alaska, (Certain this will happen), November 2020 Asia (Hopeful this will sail) and october 2020, Europe (A little hopeful).

With all the turmoil I've not bothered looking for additional cruises and have basically written off 2020 and 2021 as far as additional cruises are concerned as I expect sailings next year will not be good value. So land trips it will be until all of this has well and truly settled down. 

1 hour ago, Moby Jones said:

Agree 100%. We have cruises in May 2021 Alaska, (Certain this will happen), November 2020 Asia (Hopeful this will sail) and october 2020, Europe (A little hopeful).

With all the turmoil I've not bothered looking for additional cruises and have basically written off 2020 and 2021 as far as additional cruises are concerned as I expect sailings next year will not be good value. So land trips it will be until all of this has well and truly settled down. 

Strangely our Asia cruise in February next year has gone down in price.

3 hours ago, yorky said:

Strangely our Asia cruise in February next year has gone down in price.

They'll always be exceptions to every rule. But I'm seeing significant rises already for the cruises we're following for 2021. 

No one knows what will happen but I still think the cruise industry will rebound in time. Interest seems as high as ever for future cruises anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

They'll always be exceptions to every rule. But I'm seeing significant rises already for the cruises we're following for 2021. 

No one knows what will happen but I still think the cruise industry will rebound in time. Interest seems as high as ever for future cruises anyway. 

I agree, to be honest if anyone wants to take a punt on Asia in February next year with Celebrity the prices are tempting.