P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I understand where you're coming from Sarah. I'm beginning to have some issues too at the moment. We have missed our great grandson's first steps, his first words and we will also miss his first birthday the 21st of this month. I'm also worried that he will forget who we are if this goes on much longer. Heather sends us and her mum WhatsApp videos? (I think that's the right term) but it's not the same. I'm trying to stay upbeat and keep those in the house with me cheerful and positive but inside myself  I'm not doing too well. The optimist in me says this will end and I know it will. We'll just have to keep doing our bit. I'll be better when the sun shines again 🌞

Avril 

Oh I really feel for you missing those milestones Avril. FaceTime and videos are fantastic, I couldn't cope without them right now but it's not the same. Our little one was just less than 2 weeks old when we last saw him on Mother's Day and he's 9 weeks old tomorrow. He's changed so much in that short time, he's smiling, very vocal and our daughter has just sent a video of him chuckling for the first time, so gorgeous!! Our daughter is very good and FaceTimes every day, I was worried that she would get the baby blues being so isolated and her husband works nights so she's on her own at night and most of the day too  but she's coping very well.

We will get to see and cuddle them again, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Sarah

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

All good ideas Harry, but nothing compensates for a cuddle. We humans are suckers  for contact. 👪

Avril 

I feel your pain Avril. We’ve done video calls via WhatsApp! Our grandson waves and kisses the phone so I’m guessing he still remembers us! He’s never been too clingy to his mum but he’s getting to that age that he might do and with her there 24 hours a day I fear he might not want to come to me soon 😢

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

All good ideas Harry, but nothing compensates for a cuddle. We humans are suckers  for contact. 👪

Avril 

My poor wife's going through the same agonies. The thought of not seeing the grandchildren for maybe 18 months upsets her.  Hoping to find a safe and legal way round that once the lockdown ends.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I feel your pain Avril. We’ve done video calls via WhatsApp! Our grandson waves and kisses the phone so I’m guessing he still remembers us! He’s never been too clingy to his mum but he’s getting to that age that he might do and with her there 24 hours a day I fear he might not want to come to me soon 😢

I hope all these gorgeous Grandchildren are ready for an onslaught of cuddles when we're allowed to get close to them 🥰 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

It's horrible not seeing and not being able to hug family members.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

My poor wife's going through the same agonies. The thought of not seeing the grandchildren for maybe 18 months upsets her.  Hoping to find a safe and legal way round that once the lockdown ends.

When this lockdown began I don't think anyone really understood the full ramifications of the situation. Social distancing, supermarket deliveries, product shortages and fighting in shops, home schooling, working from home, I could go on. It's not good but we're slowly coming to terms with it and,  in our own ways coping. What I never expected, even though I don't live alone, is this feeling of being lonely and useless. Oh dear I'm feeling pathetic now. Time to put the kettle on or maybe open a bottle😊

Avril 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

When this lockdown began I don't think anyone really understood the full ramifications of the situation. Social distancing, supermarket deliveries, product shortages and fighting in shops, home schooling, working from home, I could go on. It's not good but we're slowly coming to terms with it and,  in our own ways coping. What I never expected, even though I don't live alone, is this feeling of being lonely and useless. Oh dear I'm feeling pathetic now. Time to put the kettle on or maybe open a bottle😊

Avril 

Cheers Avril,

Forced me to open a second bottle just so I could say that to you!

Tried the kettle, head to big to wear it!

Keep smiling!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Definitely go with the bottle.  😂

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

In true British style, when it all goes boobs up, put the kettle on... 

Keep smiling Avril. 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Loving all the people who can’t wait for the grandkids cuddles. 

would love to have family like you guys. I just don’t get this feeling from the in laws

I think I that your in-laws are missing something very special in their lives.  We don't have any children so no grandchildren either but my niece's children think that we are their 3rd set of grandparents.

• Like 3

Chin up Avril, and everyone

This, like all things, will pass - sometime

Just had a chaotic Zoom birthday chat for my BiL’s birthday.  England, Scotland, California.  Isn’t technology great?

Hang on in there!

• Like 4

Clear as mud 

no mention of garden centres even though that seems like a hot topic everywhere

more importantly. Can I go to the beach? It’s two hours away. I would take a picnic. 

I probably wouldn’t cos I know that even before I’ve left the house the kids will have annoyed me and I will have thrown my hands up in despair and not bothered. But I suppose it’s nice to know that I could. 

also he mentioned schools. Not quite sure if that’s for one or both of mine to go back  

5 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Clear as mud 

more importantly. Can I go to the beach? It’s two hours away. I would take a picnic. 

I probably wouldn’t cos I know that even before I’ve left the house the kids will have annoyed me and I will have thrown my hands up in despair and not bothered. But I suppose it’s nice to know that I could. 

also he mentioned schools. Not quite sure if that’s for one or both of mine to go back  

I suppose there's a limit to how much detail can be included in a 10 minute broadcast. My impression is that from Wednesday you will be able to go to the beach if you preserve social distancing. After all, if you can go to a park then why not to the beach? The PM said he would be giving more details in a speech to the House of Commons tomorrow.

One thing that puzzled me was that he said the 14 day quarantine would apply to people arriving in the country by air. If that means that it won't apply if someone arrives by Eurostar or cross-channel ferry, then it seems very odd.

22 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Clear as mud 

More details tomorrow, apparently.  You may be OK for that well-deserved beach trip, but the devil's always in the detail.  Garden centres possibly Wednesday, subject to the usual rules. 

26 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Clear as mud 

He said reception classes, year 1 (6 years old at end of school year) and year 6 (11 years old at end of school year )

Edited by Josy1953

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

He said reception classes, year 1 (6 years old at end of school year) and year 6 (11 years old at end of school year )

was trying to work out what my youngest is in as it’s called foundation stage 1(fs1)

my eldest is in year1 so I get that one. 
I think that it means that only one of my kids will be going back. 

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

was trying to work out what my youngest is in as it’s called foundation stage 1(fs1)

my eldest is in year1 so I get that one. 
I think that it means that only one of my kids will be going back. 

The school that my niece's daughter is at calls their reception classes foundation so I guess your younger one is probably included in reception. You should call the school to check.

Edited by Josy1953

Just now, Josy1953 said:

The school that my niece's daughter is to calls their reception classes foundation so I guess your younger one is probably included in reception. You should call the school to check.

I’m sure they would tell us. We are both key so could send them but decided not to as they said it was better if we didn’t. 

just don’t know how it’s all going to work out. 

it’s just depressing knowing there’s a lot of weeks of this left before it’s even half way normal

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Loving all the people who can’t wait for the grandkids cuddles. 

would love to have family like you guys. I just don’t get this feeling from the in laws

You have your little ones with you, so you can help the lonely grandmas by giving them extra cuddles for us ?

Avril 

• Like 1

Seems to me the major message was to get more people back to work even in non essential services, subject of course to social distancing measures being adhered to by employers.

Whilst I understand the problem with balancing the damage to the economy with all the grief that that will bring down the line, with controlling the spread of the virus. It's a bit of a catch 22.

The worry I have is that while the number of daily deaths as shown by the 7 day moving average has steadily been declining,

the number of daily positive tests has been fairly constant.

Yes we are testing more and It might not be 100,000 a day but has increased but where are all these 4,000 or so a day showing positive picking up the infection?

We just go out for walks around the village and will still be distancing at least for some time.

Managed to get supermarket deliveries so far, so lucky us.

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You have your little ones with you, so you can help the lonely grandmas by giving them extra cuddles for us ?

Avril 

yes I do lots of cuddles. They are growing up far too quick and the cuddles are far less now that they want to go and play instead. That’s how I know if they are really poorly. They get cuddly. 

Always thankful that I have both kids at home with me 

• Like 1