Celebrity Solstice - COVID19 Alert [March 2020]

hvbaskey

From the Ministry of Health, New Zealand
https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/media-releases/covid-19-update-ruby-princess-and-celebrity-solstice-cruises

Info for those who were on the cruise and/or their close contacts.  

Celebrity Solstice

One of the confirmed cases announced today – the Auckland man in his 60s – was also on an Australian cruise on the Celebrity Solstice around New Zealand.

He joined the cruise in Auckland on 10 March and departed the cruise in Dunedin – before he returned separately to Auckland.

The ship visited Tauranga (Mar 11), Picton (Mar 13), Akaroa (Mar 14), Port Chalmers (Mar 15) and leaving from Fiordland on Mar 16.

Our public health staff will be working with their counterparts in Australia to give details of the activities of the passenger while on board the cruise to assist the Australian health services in the follow up they're undertaking there.

The ship arrived in Sydney this morning and any New Zealanders on board returning to New Zealand will be regarded as close contacts, put in self-isolation and monitored daily.

Every person who was on that cruise who is now in New Zealand needs to self-isolate now and register online with Healthline and will be followed up as a close contact. If any passenger has symptoms they should call Healthline 0800 358 5453 for advice. 

As of midnight 14 March all cruise ships were banned from coming to New Zealand until at least 30 June 2020. Ships already in New Zealand waters were permitted to conclude their itinerary. 

1 minute ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

So sad, and on top of that X is not announcing that any of its ships had anyone that got the virus.  WHY be so quite???  INFORM

100% Agree.  So many of the Summit & Silhouette passengers are only finding out about positive COVID19 cases, here on Cruise Critic.

Hence, this post - such that any passengers on the Solstice can be informed that they may have been exposed and take necessary actions and/or precautions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Celebrity did send out this information to those on the cruise.  I received an email while sitting in the Sydney airport.  

Thank you for posting this, it is encouraging news.  Although considering the passenger disembarked in Dunedin, passengers should have been warned at that stage to be very mindful of social distancing, washing hands, etc. to prevent additional contamination while en route to Sydney and thereafter.

The Summit nor the Silhouette received any notifications.  

Princess paused or cancelled 3 cruises, just on the slim chance that a couple transferred crew could be compromised.  While I certainly think mistakes were made, they have been open and transparent, now offering their ships as mobile hospitals.

Celebrity on the other hand, has not only shown disregard for their own passengers and crew, but putting more at risk that they've come in contact with afterwords, in the airport, family, work, community, etc.  Has any other cruise lined handled this worse?  I'm glad to hear that they're finally coming around with Solstice, but there could be dozens infected from the other two ships, that aren't going to come here to CC for updates.  Keep in mind, half of all people never develop symptoms.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Thank you for posting this, it is encouraging news.  Although considering the passenger disembarked in Dunedin, passengers should have been warned at that stage to be very mindful of social distancing, washing hands, etc. to prevent additional contamination while en route to Sydney and thereafter.

I'm not sure whether he left the ship because he was ill or whether he was a New Zealand resident.  I would venture that the test results weren't available until the government announcement was made .I heard that 300 left the ship in Dunedin to avoid a certain quarantine if they were to continue to Sydney.  In any event there was certainly a great emphasis on hand washing.  

l don't know if there was a cover up of the possibility or not, but in any event, I don't believe social distancing is possible on a cruise ship without confining everyone to their cabin. Seems like all it would do would be to create panic and fear with little potential benefit absent a quarantine.  

• Like 1

My sister and niece were on this cruise - boarded in Auckland and disembarked in Dunedin.  They had to get off then as the new restrictions came into place about 14 day isolation etc if they carried on to Australia.  My sister and my niece are now in isolation after being informed by our health authorities that they were exposed to the virus - both on the cruise and also at Dunedin airport where they were most of the day waiting for a flight.

Edited by Scottygirl1
  • Like 1

We were on this cruise and did not receive the email. Luckily, we were with family members who did receive the notification.

During the cruise, we were concerned that passengers were allowed to self serve at the buffet. We took our own precautions by covering the utensils to avoid direct contact. Didn’t notice anyone else doing this.

I wonder how many were infected by this one passenger, just from touching the utensils.

We watched a passenger being removed from the ship via ambulance at Dunedin. Would assume it was the affected passenger.

We are complying with the fourteen day quarantine. Hopefully everyone is doing the same.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 6:07 AM, emairs said:

We were on this cruise and did not receive the email. Luckily, we were with family members who did receive the notification.

During the cruise, we were concerned that passengers were allowed to self serve at the buffet. We took our own precautions by covering the utensils to avoid direct contact. Didn’t notice anyone else doing this.

I wonder how many were infected by this one passenger, just from touching the utensils.

We watched a passenger being removed from the ship via ambulance at Dunedin. Would assume it was the affected passenger.

We are complying with the fourteen day quarantine. Hopefully everyone is doing the same.

Were any of the ports missed on this cruise (10th March 2020 Auckland to Sydney).

Was booked on this cruise but had to cancel 10 days prior to sailing because of my caring duties. Celebrity have been most unhelpful regarding my circumstances & have refused any refund. On their website they have stated that you could cancel for any reason prior to 48 hours before sailing. Apparently this was posted several days after my cancellation. 
I would appreciate any comments.

4 hours ago, two ladies said:

Were any of the ports missed on this cruise (10th March 2020 Auckland to Sydney).

Was booked on this cruise but had to cancel 10 days prior to sailing because of my caring duties. Celebrity have been most unhelpful regarding my circumstances & have refused any refund. On their website they have stated that you could cancel for any reason prior to 48 hours before sailing. Apparently this was posted several days after my cancellation. 
I would appreciate any comments.

The port of Eden was missed, as Australia was shut down by then. Everyone received an onboard credit equal to one cruise day.

Were you not able to cancel for a future cruise credit for the cost of your cruise? 
A cash refund would only be available if the cruise were cancelled.

Thanks for replying, I was also refused a future cruise credit. As this was booked in November 2019 prior to this situation as a fly/stay/cruise, I was informed by the online booking agent (customer service) that it was my responsibility to cancel the fly/stay components of the package. One would assume that having emailed the cancellation through to customer service it would include everything. I was not aware of this until they classed it at the airport & hotel as a “no show”.

Never again would I book a Celebrity Cruise.👎👎👎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pully8 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-26/wa-second-coronavirus-covid-19-death-cruise-ship/12093796 Sadly a man in his 70s has died in a western Australian hospital from Covid-19. he was a passenger on celebrity solstice. 

Sad news 😞  

"The man died at Joondalup Health Campus after testing positive to the virus. He was receiving care within an isolation room prior to his death.

Health authorities have confirmed the man was a passenger on board the Celebrity Solstice cruise ship.The ship was one of several to dock in Sydney between March 18 and 20.

They included the Ruby Princess, which has been responsible for a significant number of coronavirus infections in Australia."

Edited by hvbaskey

6 hours ago, ilovecruisesme said:

Has anyone got any further updates regarding our ship. The news only seems to focus on Ruby Proncess which disembarked in Sydney the same day we arrived. 

We received a phone call from the health department of New South Wales on March 28. They wanted to check on our health and ensure that we were self isolating. This was the first communication that we received as we missed the original email.

They confirmed at least one death and eight people infected with covid19.

4 hours ago, ilovecruisesme said:

Thank you for your response. We've had no phone calls and no emails but we are in the UK so not sure if they will try to contact us. 

It’s unacceptable that not all passengers were contacted with this important information.

All passengers should have been made aware that there were infected passengers onboard. making it even more urgent for self isolation.

Luckily, the fourteen day quarantine is almost over, so hopefully everyone is healthy, with no symptoms.

Here is the original email that many of us did not receive:

Image did not load.

Dear Celebrity Solstice passenger 

NSW Health has been advised by New Zealand health authorities that a passenger on the Celebrity Solstice cruise ship that arrived in Sydney on Thursday 19 March 2020 has been diagnosed with COVID-19. This passenger disembarked in Dunedin. 

As you have been identified as a passenger on the ship, you are considered a close contact. More information about being a close contact can be found at this link: 

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/novel-coronavirus-close-contact.aspx

In line with advice you have previously been given, you need to remain in home isolation for 14 days from the day you disembarked (up to and including 02/04/20). More information about being in home isolation can be found at this link: 

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/hubei-contacts-and-travellers.aspx

For people still in Australia: 

If you or your travelling companions develop symptoms (particularly fever or cough, or shortness of breath) it is important to call your GP or HealthDirect (1800 022 222) to organise assessment and testing for coronavirus. You may also present to a COVID-19 testing clinic or your nearest hospital Emergency Department. In case of an emergency please call triple zero (000) and inform the ambulance service that you have been identified as a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case. 

For people who are overseas: 

Please contact your local public health authority and inform them you have been identified as a close contact. If you have symptoms as outlined above, please seek medical attention. 

Further general information about COVID-19 can be found at this link: 

Image did not load.

Edited by emairs

Now I'm curious.  I was on this cruise from what was originally an onboard booking.  I got this and several other express notifications from Celebrity.  The travel agent that I transferred the booking to also got the notification.  I'm wondering if those that didn't receive the notification booked directly through a travel agent and the notification went to the agent?

15 hours ago, ilovecruisesme said:

Thank you for your response. We've had no phone calls and no emails but we are in the UK so not sure if they will try to contact us. 

We are in the UK and received the email, we haven’t had any contact since though. Still healthy here. 

The largest peacetime maritime operation in Sydney Harbour is currently underway as 5 cruise ships are restocked with provisions. Celebrity Solstice is one of the 5 and is leaving Australian waters tonight by order of  Border Force.