Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

2 minutes ago, mrell345 said:

if you look at marinetraffic.com, you can see all the ships between Florida and the Bahamas (blue icons)

14FEB810-7BB9-4DC4-9191-BCD65CEDCF64.png

Webcam from Miami. Hit pause and you can zoom to see the ships at anchor there. Mostly NCL, I think.

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/miamiandthebeaches/?cam=miamibeach1

I just got this - I have been trying to keep up page by page but it has been moving so fast I do not know if this has been posted yet or not.

Zaandam and Rotterdam Approved to Disembark Guests at Port Everglades (Statement #7)

Seattle, Wash., April 2, 2020 (1:30 p.m. PDT) — Holland America Line is pleased to confirm that Broward County and the Unified Command cleared both Zaandam and Rotterdam for arrival to Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, to disembark guests who are fit to travel per guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).  

We extend our sincere gratitude to President Trump, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, the Broward County Board of County Commissioners, Port Everglades Unified Command, Broward County Administrator Bertha Henry and all governmental and embassy authorities who helped to resolve this situation and get our nearly 1,200 guests home. And a special thank you to Broward County Mayor Dale Holness for his leadership, help and understanding.

“These travelers could have been any one of us or our families, unexpectedly caught in the middle of this unprecedented closure of global borders that happened in a matter of days and without warning,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “We are so happy to be able to get our guests home and assist those few who need additional medical services. The COVID-19 situation is one of the most urgent tests of our shared humanity, and we must do everything we can to ensure we continue to act in ways consistent with our common human dignity.

“Our guests on board both ships have been truly incredible, and we extend our deepest thanks and appreciation to all of them,” continued Ashford. “Their cooperation, support and understanding throughout this entire experience helped us best protect the health of all on board and ensured our shipboard teams could focus on caring for everyone and getting them home.

“I would also like to extend my sincerest thanks to the amazing officers and crews of Zaandam and Rotterdam,” continued Ashford. “They are heroes who rose to the challenge of taking care of our guests and each other under extraordinary circumstances. All of us at Holland America Line are so very proud of our colleagues for their exemplary leadership and service.”

Following arrival in Port Everglades, guests will be health screened and also cleared for entry by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Disembarkation is expected to be completed by tomorrow evening, with priority given today to those who need immediate care at local health system partners who have approved their arrival.

Fit-to-travel guests will transfer straight from ship onto buses for transfer directly to the airport for their flights home. The majority will leave on charter flights. Local Florida residents will return home immediately via private car. Guests have not left the ship since March 14 and have self-isolated in their staterooms since March 22. 

Guests who still have symptoms will remain on board and disembark at a later date to be finalized after they have fully recovered and meet the CDC guidelines for being fit to travel. They will continue to be well cared for on board by the ships’ medical staffs.

  

No crew from either ship will disembark in Fort Lauderdale.

Since March 22, 107 guests (90 on Zaandam/17 on Rotterdam) and 143 crew on Zaandam (0 on Rotterdam) have presented with influenza-like symptoms.

There are 808 guests and 583 crew on Rotterdam. On Zaandam there are 442 guests and 603 crew. Among the guests, 311 guests are American citizens and 52 are residents of Florida.

Due to global health concerns, Holland America Line made the decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days and end its current cruises in progress as quickly as possible.  At the time, Zaandam was sailing a South America cruise that began in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7 that was originally scheduled to end in San Antonio, Chile, on March 21. Attempts were made and denied to disembark guests in Chile on March 15 and at other ports along its route to the United States.

On March 21, Zaandam was originally scheduled to begin a 20-day South America and Panama Canal cruise from San Antonio, Chile, and end in Fort Lauderdale on April 7. On March 30 an additional 30-day extension of cruise cancellations was announced, including departures through May 14. 

— # # # —

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bluesea321 said:

Don't know but doubt it.  The reference to Hialeah was made during the Mayor's interview.  And yes, I know it is far.

With no traffic and not a patient that is vented its not far  Did long trips bagging patient before helicopter was a common thing in old days

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I have noticed that as well and wonder why Carnival Sunshine.  I think CCL contributed some $$ to have that berth extended.  But, why not a rotation of the other Carnival ships?

They rotate in and out, but the Sunshine is there most often. CCL did indeed renovate Terminal 2. CCL tried to find homes for all their ships, but there are only so many terminals that aren't multi-use. The "outside" HAL terminal (#26) often gets one of the big RO-RO* auto transports, or as I like to call them "Car Boats."

car-carriers1.tmb-thumb425.jpg

*Roll On, Roll Off

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 8:42 PM, conwakr said:

The rapid tests are quickly becoming available.  Makes more sense to test the sick before we panic and decide everyone needs to be quarantined.  If the sick have Covid then there is a problem. If the sick have flu then we do what we've always done in this country. Most states aren't testing eveyone anymore to begin with and if people call and have flu-like symptoms they are being told stay home from work and call us if you get worse.  

The  'plan'  I heard is for pax to board sanitiized buses at the ship, be transported to the tarmac at the airport,   go directly aboard those planes on thr trmzc.

They will not be in airport terminal and will not  infect any persons on the ground in FloriIa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

The  'plan'  I heard is for pax to board sanitiized buses at the ship, be transported to the tarmac at the airport,   go directly aboard those planes on thr trmzc.

They will not be in airport terminal and will not  infect any persons on the ground in Florida.

According to the HAL press release posted here previously, some passengers will not be on charter flights, the majority will but the minority will be on regular commercial air.  That concerns me....

Edited by bluesea321

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

What's standing on the dock right now, among others, is private/contract security for the port (white shirts), USPH (dark blue), CBP (dark blue), ambulance crew and some suits/dude in the red sweater. At least they're wearing facemasks. Oh and tenSECO just came out again

Copper can you please explain these acronyms? Thank you. 

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

@Copper10-8 - does the doctor have to accompany each patient off the ship in a case like this?

No Gerry, not necessary, especially since the hospital is so close. Also, there would not be enough doctors for ten patients. Under "normal" situations, this would be carried out by Fire paramedics from Broward County fire station 6 which is located on the ground of Port Everglades. Those guys/gals are very familiar with cruise ship medevacs/nature of the beast. It would not surprise me if these were paramedic ambulances by AMR, as opposed to basic life support ambos

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1