Crocs Question

Patgo

Hi, Bonnie,

Okay, here goes. Now you're enticing me with Birkenstocks <lol>. I've never had any and am desperate for COMFORTABLE shoes. I'm always in pain due to a herniated disk in my back and pain radiating down my leg to my feet.

Anyway, are there any particularly comfortable styles? Have you found a good place to get them online?

ANY advice regarding really comfortable shoes would be appreciated since it sounds like you are always looking for comfortable footwear, too.

Thanks!

Lynn

Lynn

I'm going to jump in here. I have a flat foot complete with a weak ankle. So I know what it means to have comfortable shoes. If I'm in something that's not comfy, my back and hip hurt. (The joys of aging!!!) Anyway, I found Clarks springer (I think that's the word) sandals are wonderful! I can truly walk around a mall for a few hours and walk cruise ports and not be in agony!!!

Esther

You may want to look at Danskos as well (there's another thread about this on the fashion board). At first, I thought they looked a bit clunky, so I was resistant when my colleagues suggested them, but now I love them! I can be on my feet for 12-14 hours with no back, leg, or foot (plantar fasciitis) pain. I like Naot too. They're not as comfy for long periods on your feet, but they're better than most shoes. They're more attractive than most others.

I think it really just depends on what your particular foot ailment is as to which shoe will work for you. I can't wear Clarks. They don't have enough arch support to overcome my foot pain. Birkenstocks are truly the only shoes that I have found that will actually elminate my foot pain the moment I put the shoes on! There are other shoes I can wear for short periods of time (like Clarks) but for me Birkenstocks were actually "curative". With Birkenstock, you really need to find some in person just to figure out your sizing and once you know that magic number you can just order them to your hearts content! I wear a 9 1/2 narrow in a "normal" shoe and in Birkenstock I order size 40 narrow. Birkenstockcentral.com is a good place to buy birkenstocks once you know your size. You can go to their "bargains" and click on your size and see whats available on clearance! QVC and HSN also carry Birkenstocks. Ebay is a great source also! But, as I said, you MUST know what size to order! Many stores carry Birkenstocks so it is not nearly as hard trying to find a pair to try on as it is trying to find Crocs! Also, a size 40 narrow is a size 40 narrow! Every pair of Birkenstocks I have purchased in size 40 narrow have all fit exactly the same. Now, If you've followed my Crocs "saga" you will know that no two pairs of my Crocs have fit the same and they are ALL supposedly the same size! If it weren't for learning the dryer "trick" on these boards I would still be a Croc-less wench in search of the elusive perfect shoe! I am still wearing my orange crocs that I just received in the mail earlier tonight! They are feeling great so far! For me, the Crocs are my replacement for "barefoot". With heel spurs and plantar fasciitis, you can't step out of bed in the morning and walk to the bathroom without excruciating pain. Prior to my Crocs, I used my Birkenstocks as my "barefoot" for those first steps each morning. I just make sure I slide my feet into my Birkies as soon as I sit up in bed each morning. They are awesome, but I truly miss the feeling of being barefoot and Birkies, if you don't know, have a cork footbed which is a solid material that is just soft enough to eventually mold to the contour of your foot, but it is in fact SOLID. Crocs are "mushy" for lack of a better word. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and had to run to the bathroom. I slipped my feet into my squishy pink Crocs and halfway to the bathroom I realized that it felt like I was barefoot!!! So, even if my Crocs turn out to not have enough support to carry me through a whole busy day, just being able to have the sensation of being almost barefoot without pain was worth the entire ordeal of trying to find a pair of Crocs that fit!

I, too, wore Birks every day for hours. I was fine with the shoes on but had brutal pain in the morning just as Bonnie describes - plantar fasciitis is no fun. I switched to Born. Same thing. Clarks, no go. Merrells improved things for awhile but things got worse again. Danskos have been truly curative. If I wear them at work, I can go barefoot at home, I can wear heels when I give lectures, and I don't hobble in the morning anymore!

As a physician (and I swore I wouldn't give medical advice on the boards!), I would suggest that, if you're still having pain in the morning unless you wear shoes, you see a professional. Specialty shoe stores are a good place to start (they can suggest good orthotics, or better shoes). If that doesn't completely relieve your pain, try a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon.

Life is too short to hobble through!

I first developed my foot problems about 15 years ago. My Podiatrist is the one who first told me about Birkenstocks nearly 12 years ago! I used orthotics and steroid injections for several years until I got pregnant with my last child (12 years ago) and had to stop the injections during my pregnancy. Once I put the Birkenstocks on I have never had another injection! It took months for the pain to totally subside and eventually I was basically pain free unless I walked around barefoot for any length of time.....which I still do not do! I have been wearing Birkenstocks for 12 years now and to this day, I don't have heel pain, but if I wear the "wrong" shoe for too long my feet ache (not heel pain, just generalized aching). And walking around with NO shoes is just a risk I don't bother taking. I have lots of "2-hour shoes" that don't fit any of the parameters I've set for my foot comfort! but every now and then you just want to look "cute"! No Birkies or Crocs on formal night! :eek:

Sorry I did not reply sooner, Esther E but am just now getting back on. This has been a busy day. Yes, I wore my Athens to walk around Grand Cayman and Cozumel and no, my feet did not get sweaty or yucky. They felt wonderful. They are sooo comfortable. :p I simply love them. My husband wore his Beach Crocs and he had no problem with sweatty feet. In fact, one man on the tender asked where he got his Crocs - he wanted some, too. We got our Beach Crocs at Dillards but I had to order my Athens from Nordstroms since no one around here has them yet. We are definitely Crockaholics - maybe not to the extent of Bonnie Voyager, yet :eek: - but getting there - LOL. :D TG23

Bonnie

I've also had heel spurs a few years ago. Between "proper" shoes, MD's, ortho pads, etc., it has stopped hurting. Yeah, it's still there--you can see it on an X-ray. And add hammer toes to the pot!!!! Boy, do I sound attractive, or what? I tend to go barefooted all year (I know, I know...) and have "sit-down" shoes for cruises. Reef thongs are great. They seem to have an arch support. Interestingly enough, Birks have a bit too much (as do Merrills) arch support and I end up limping after a while.

Esther

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in having severe foot pain and trying every kind of shoe possible. I have Morton's nueroma and heel spurs.

I too have a closet full of Clarks, Merrills, Naot, Born, Birks, just about every brand sold by FootSmart and Dillards.... And now I have a whole wardrobe of ugly-cute crocs! I absolutely love them!

OK, whoever posted about ordering Crocs from David Taylor Shoes? THANK YOU! I ordered some Turquoise Beach Crocs and the Hot Pink Caymans from them last Friday, paid only $2.50 S&H, he shipped them Saturday and I got them YESTERDAY. :D Just in time for my upcoming RCCL Mariner cruise - YAY!!

Ordered some Athens from Amazon.com (Island Surf) early last week and STILL haven't recieved them (and paid more in shipping). They had better get here in time for my cruise! :p

Heather

Okay, I need help from the croc experts, as I feel like the only person on the planet who doesn't love my Crocs.

First problem: My left foot is a 6.5 and my right foot is a 7.5, so I ordered the beach style in small. With the heel strap in place, my front toe pokes the front of the shoe, and it is very annoying.

Second problem: maybe since I ordered the tan color they aren't as "cute" as if I ordered a brightly colored pair, but I honestly am not sure I would wear these shoes in public.

They seem like they have the potential to be comfortable, but just miss. Maybe if they felt oh-so-perfect, I could get over the ugly-factor more easily.

Am I the only one?

Tracy

I know some people think they are ugly but my kids swim and we are on pool deck 2-4 hours a day, 6 days a week. It is great around water!! Walking around all weekend at swim meets they are great. But just around the house etc. I have them in about 4 colors! Love them!:)

I think crocs are a very personal taste. But, I hate seeing ladies with their fat rolls poking out between their t-shirts and jeans! Just me....

My girls tell in all in one breath, "Mom, those shoes are so darn ugly, why don't you order me a pair in hot pink?"

I'm at the age where style isn't near as important as comfort.

I was wondering if I could glue some swarovzky crystals on my black ones and wear them for formal night?????;)

I DO have some black Birkenstocks with crystals on them that I have considered wearing on formal night! :eek: I never actually did it though! But formal Crocs? That sounds interesting! Perhaps the Crocs company will come out with a suitable style for formal night! ;) Can you imagine the responses to this thread?...."Can I wear my dressy Crocs on Formal Night?" :D

Hi, Everyone,

I really, really appreciate the suggestions here for comfortable shoes and am going to hit the mall hopefully this weekend to check them out.

Bonnie: I've never had Birkenstocks. Hard to believe, hmmm? I lived through the '60s and '70s and somehow missed the Birkenstock "era," I guess. I have to make up for lost time <g>. Now I really NEED comfortable sandals.

Do you like one style better than others as far as comfort goes? I know it's all subjective and depends on "my" feet, but I just thought maybe you have a recommendation.

I know what everyone means about Crocs all varying. I bought a pair of black Beach Crocs for my mother. She's 88 years old but is enjoying the comfort level. HOWEVER, I gave her MY pink Beach Crocs last weekend because they're a bit small for me (Cayman works better because I can get a true size 11). Anyway, her first comment was that the pink Crocs were a big bigger and even more comfortable on her (she wears a 10). That was REALLY INTERESTING since she doesn't know ANYTHING about our discussions here on the board and the size difference from pair to pair that we're discovering.

Now I need pink Caymans, though, since all I have is a pair of Butter Caymans. How sad, right? PLUS I now want something like Birkenstocks, too. Sigh! I'm in sandal trouble and have to resolve everything before the Freedom in June. I guess I have a lot of comparing to do.

Again, though, this board is GREAT and it's wonderful being able to network and share ideas!!! I love it here!!!

Lynn

• 1 month later...

Nope! No new Crocs, but I have certainly enjoyed wearing the ones I have! We just got back from 9 days at Disneyworld and both my Husband, Son and myself wore our Crocs quite a bit! I also wore my Birkenstocks a lot. I had no foot problems the whole time. We visited the Crocs Store at Orlando Airport while we were there! That was fun! I didn't buy any new ones though because I already own every color that I like! :o I hear there are some new styles coming out this summer though, so I may be Croc-shopping again soon!

• 1 month later...

I bought my first Crocs several years ago, a pair of beige ones I tried on at a fair. They were so comfortable that I bought them and wore them at once. When I wanted to get more I couldn't find them. Finally last year I got a navy pair while on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN. I had spyed those in a shoe store window. All of a sudden the craze hit here in Indiana. The Hallmark stores and Dick's Sporting goods stores carry them. I've gotten a chocolate, black and red pair. I believer they're the Caymen style--- have holes in them. I think they're ugly but I had years of foot problems, worked in the medical field and was on my feet all day. Sure wish I'd had them then. I like them even better than the expensive Birkenstocks. My first pair looks as good a my new ones. I want to get purple ones as I'm joining a Red Hat group. Next year we have a cruise to Alaska and I'll take a pair or two along. I'm old enough that I'll take comfort over style and I can walk all day in my Crocs in relative comfort.

I live in the Keys and work in Key West. I LIVE in flip flops, mostly Kinos for work and generic for home. Then...I walked past a dive shop & saw the Croc flip flops on a rack. Went in, put a pair on, and bought them that minute :D . Ordering three more colors this week. Never felt more comfort in a shoe. I would definately have sweaty feet in the covered styles, so I really like the flops. BTW, have you seen the "Croc Charms" you can get on e-bay - you can decorate your Crocs! :)

Patrice, I just did the same thing!! Have loved my Beach crocs during cold weather, then tried on a pair of black flips and loved them too - much cooler during the hot humid summers in NC!!! Gotta go back and get another color now!

This past weekend I bought a pair of the Crocs Athens style (flip flops).

I have a couple of different issues with my feet (including plantar fasciitis) and I need extra cushioning for the ball of my foot and the heel and I need good arch support. While there does not seem to be much direct arch support in the Athens, these sandals are incredibly comfortable! They are so cushy but stable and amazingly light!

I thought my usual size was too big. I have a wide foot and they are a little loose and I thought they might be a little too long. Since they did not have the next size down I bought them anyway. I am glad I did ... I think this is just the way they fit and look. They kind of cradle your foot. They stay on fine when I walk around. I have worn them at least 4 hours a day for the past few days.

They cost $29.00, they are worth every penny!!

This thread is too funny! I've been preaching the Crocs mantra for 3 years. I first discovered them when a vendor at a Chiropractic convention was wearing them with her GORGEOUS designer suit--I overheard her telling people how she had spent hundreds of $$$ on shoes and never found comfortable ones until Crocs! I eavesdropped until I heard her give the crocs.com website and immediately went to my computer and ordered a pair for myself and my sister, who we were going on vacation with. I showed them to my husband online that evening and he wanted a pair! (he won't wear sandals) so I ordered a pair for him and one for my BIL. We wore them on our trip throughout New England and only saw 1 other person wearing them then (on Martha's Vineyard) but we got sooo many stares and strange looks, but we didn't care! We had each taken several pairs of sneakers & sandals and none of them were worn on the entire trip. I now have 10 pairs and DH has 7 and they're the ONLY shoes we wear when not at work or a formal occasion. We wear them with socks for the Midwestern winters. We constantly get stopped in airports and various vacation locales by people wanting to know where they could get them. I always said I wished I could own stock in the company, and now I do! :D Our last trip to WDW was the first time I didn't get blisters from walking around....I LOVE MY CROCS!

Archived