CPAP use on ship or elsewhere.

SFO Peter

I recently found this article on Yahoo and thought it is important information during this time.    I do not use CPAP nor am I going to take up any position.   I just thought you ought to know for everyone’s protection against Covid 19.  This will be my only post on this thread.   The underline of text was done by me for emphasis.

=====

Mercedes-AMG F1 team develops new CPAP for COVID-19 patients

The Formula One team worked with University College London to develop the machine, which is now ready for trial and could keep patients off ventilators.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 team

For the most up-to-date news and information about the coronavirus pandemic, visit the WHO website.

Mercedes-AMG F1's powertrain division has keeping itself busy.

Since March 18, along with other UK-based F1 teams, it began looking at ways to improve upon a continuous positive airway pressure machine, better known as a CPAP, specifically for COVID-19 patients. On Monday, the team said it has a final design. Working with University College London, the F1 team said the new breathing aid should help patients stay off ventilators, which are in short supply, and keep them for the most severe cases.

The UK's National Health Service and its Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency both approved the new device, which underscores this little contraption shows a lot of promise.

A CPAP is quite different from a ventilator, which operates in a closed circuit and requires the insertion of a breathing tube into a patient's windpipe. It can then push air in and out of a patient's lungs, and doctors can fine-tune this assisted breathing. A CPAP provides a consistent flow of air at a constant pressure and operates via a mask, which doesn't create a totally air-tight seal between the patient and the device. This lack of a seal is a problem, as the virus can enter the surrounding air and infect health care workers.

• Like 1

I don't understand the purpose of or the emphasis by the poster. I have used a CPAP machine for 30 years. It is used by many with sleep apnea to create a positive airflow to keep our airway open for normal breathing when we sleep. We breathe out normally. It is not a closed system. Anyone who has the virus could contaminate the surrounding air, not just CPAP users. We do not have compromised immune systems or other physical ailments and are no more likely to contract the virus than any other healthy human. So why the post?

1 minute ago, twodjs said:

I don't understand the purpose of or the emphasis by the poster. I have used a CPAP machine for 30 years. It is used by many with sleep apnea to create a positive airflow to keep our airway open for normal breathing when we sleep. We breathe out normally. It is not a closed system. Anyone who has the virus could contaminate the surrounding air, not just CPAP users. We do not have compromised immune systems or other physical ailments and are no more likely to contract the virus than any other healthy human. So why the post?

I think OP was just trying to point out, while the CPAP may be useful, it's not safe for others who may be in close contact with a user.  

4 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I think OP was just trying to point out, while the CPAP may be useful, it's not safe for others who may be in close contact with a user.  

It is not safe for others to be in close contact with ANYONE with the virus, not just someone who has the virus with a CPAP machine. No one has ever suggested that CPAP machines prevent the spread of the virus. As I mentioned, a normal CPAP machine is not a closed system. Perhaps the revised design being developed is different.

• Like 1