Denied boarding Perth,Capetown, Fortl'dale, who paid for return to UK

Windsurfboy

Our cruise from Capetown to Southampton was cancelled, we were in Capetown,   couldn't  get through to Cunard on the phone. Saw the writing on the wall and booked our own tickets to get back to UK. 

We had booked both our outward and return travel with Cunard.  Except outward was on QE not a flight. I believe this didn't change any and Cunard had a duty of care to get us home.  THEY now say they are not responsible for the cost of our return airfare we must claim from insurance company. 

Could any passengers  especially British,  that were denied boarding in Perth QM2 , or that were denied boarding in Fortlauderdale Q.V, please let me know if Cunard either paid for their tickets,  or refunded the money. 

PLEASE , it is the actual experience of the others that I need

Thanks  Host Hattie  will try on there as well.

Unfortunately couldn't get through to Cunard on the phone,  or insurance company.  No response to emails.  Had to act quickly, cruise  cancelled on 15th , glad we did as 3 days later South Africa banned foreigners entering country, and total lockdown enforced last week. 

Cunard did eventually ring twice,  on the 14th to say everything was fine and over 70s could cruise and it was going ahead as planned.   Also the day after South Africa announced they were banning foreigners entering country.  The lady was relieved we had acted fast.

If we had waited for help would be amongst the thousands stuck abroad.

Yes. We were denied boarding in Fremantle on the 14th March.

We got an email that morning and were close enough to walk to the dock to deal with things in person rather than by email or phone.

Cunard organised transport and hotels and the following night we got a call about our flights. The flight details were in an email that was in our inbox the following morning. Part of it telling us to keep receipts for out-of-pocket expenses (we didn't have any).

Some people didn't wait for Cunard and I thought at the time that if Cunard didn't organise their flights, and didn't authorise them to do so then I expected them to have to claim on their insurance (who may try to recover some or all of the costs from Cunard).

I'd be interested to know what insurance company you were with? A company that doesn't answer its 24hour emergency contact number is one to be avoided.

Hope you get it all sorted, one way or another.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 1

Thank you Colin

're insurance company,  I didn't use the emergency number  I thought that was for real emergencies like medical emergencies, no one was desperately ill. Perhaps I should of used it rather than customer services. 

Interestingly Cunard do not have an emergency number. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cunard have accepted responsibly to pay for return airfare after email from insurance company saying that it is the cruise lines responsibility.  They say a cheque has been raised , but it may take some time

In the end I must say Cunard and what I hear the other cruise lines are behaving better than the general UK holiday companies,  which seem to be trying to insist on vouchers. Cunard are offering vouchers , but also offering refunds.

• Like 1